1 (edited by crazybaby 2024-02-16 21:58:13)

Topic: ADI-2/4 PRO SE in Stereo 2.1 Channel Setup

I was streaming music from my iPad through an ADI-2 DAC FS, utilizing the USB as the source and the XLR outputs for connection to a 2-channel power amplifier that drives my left and right floor speakers. The system was further enhanced by adding an SVS SB-1000 powered subwoofer, linked through the left and right RCA analog outputs of the ADI-2 DAC FS. This setup allowed for the subwoofer's filtering and DSP to complement the DAC's PEQ settings, effectively smoothing out a sound null by 15-20dB and significantly improving the audio quality.

After upgrading to an ADI-2/4 PRO SE, mainly for the Pentaconn connector for my Dan Clark Audio Stealth headphones, I faced a connectivity challenge. The new DAC uses 1/4" sockets instead of the RCA connectors, and I currently do not have the required cables to connect my subwoofer. This came after I had decided to declutter by discarding a collection of old audio and video cables.

I am contemplating using the PH 3/4 connection for the subwoofer and potentially adjusting the DAC's PEQ for channels 1/2 for the floor speakers and 3/4 for the subwoofer. However, this might be less than ideal due to the cables protruding from the front, especially when considering the occasional use of the 4.4mm headphone connector. My preference is to replicate the previous setup, and since I have retained the PEQ settings, reinstating the original configuration should be straightforward.

I am seeking advice on the best course of action. Do I need to purchase a few mono 1/4" to RCA cables to connect the 2/4 PRO SE to my subwoofer, or is there a more optimal solution with my existing equipment? Is there a simpler alternative that I might be overlooking?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is old news again.  I just read the entire manual online and I went page by page of this forum reading any topic that had the word "sub" in it through the first 15 pages or so, and I did not find anything specific to ease my mind and solve my questions; though, I am not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

2 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-16 22:37:41)

Re: ADI-2/4 PRO SE in Stereo 2.1 Channel Setup

This type of adapter will serve you well:

https://www.amazon.com/-/de/sspa/click? … %26psc%3D1

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/MEDIAX_849526-T3/images/I/5154z6k-jBL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Personally I don‘t think connecting mains and subs to individual channels is very practical, unless you’re about to constantly readjust sub’s level on purpose.

Volume controls of 1/2 and 3/4 can be linked, but operating ADI-2 the link can easily be broken accidentally.

Treating mains and sub as a complete system on the same channel is much more convenient.
The sub’s built in controls should be sufficient for all tuning purposes.

To eliminate a null in the resulting frequency response when sub’s controls are already optimized, little different sub placement in the room can work wonders.
E.g lifting the sub up a little, and/or turning it round (so that it fires to the wall) already can do the job.

I absolutely agree with everything you said, and I also ran across a relatively recent series of posts in another forum site where RME (MC) was talking about this exact situation.  Ordered the adapters and they should be here soon.  This will save me the trouble of having to wiggle around to connect everything. Instead, I can simply use the two RCA cables coming from the subwoofer, since the new DAC is located in the same spot as the old one.

It's not the just the quality of the converter that draws me to RME devices; it's their manuals and support that truly win me over.

I lurk around and you have been extremely helpful over the years.  Your time and patience are greatly appreciated.

I second that. Still I have to point out that a photo of these adapters is also found in the 2/4 manual...page 105 and 108.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, indeed, the manual provided all the necessary information and more. I downloaded the manual because my eyesight is not as good as it used to be, especially with smaller print. As I was scrolling through the pages, I foolishly assumed I had reached the end when I got to the installation sections. Admittedly, I was over-excited and probably a bit overconfident, having had a similar device for over five years. I completely missed the technical reference section.

After settling down a bit and taking a more leisurely perusal of the manual, combined with some discussions found around the internet, I am up to speed now on just about everything I had questions about before.

Thanks!

crazybaby wrote:

Yes, indeed, the manual provided all the necessary information and more.

What did you end up doing for connecting your subwoofer?

With my 2/4, i want to avoid having subwoofers and amp on two different DAC channels.
I started looking at XLR splitters.

...for "ease of connecting subwoofer", this makes me miss the simple ADI-2 DAC.

Any pointer on how to connect subwoofer to 2/4 in the most efficient way?

7 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-18 10:10:41)

neotinto wrote:

[With my 2/4, i want to avoid having subwoofers and amp on two different DAC channels.
I started looking at XLR splitters.

...for "ease of connecting subwoofer", this makes me miss the simple ADI-2 DAC.

Any pointer on how to connect subwoofer to 2/4 in the most efficient way?

The primary solution is:

• Run a pair of cables from ADI-2 outs to the sub.
Use sub’s built in low cut filter for the mains, to free the mains from large driver excursion.

• Then run cables from the sub’s dedicated main outs to the main speakers.

The cable type depends on the available connectors of mains and subs.

If your main speakers are big and full range:

• Run 2 pairs of cables from ADI-2 outs to sub and mains directly.
The mains contribute to the bass then, allowing better room coupling.
For this config XLR Y-splitters 1xXLRf to 2xXLRm (*1) are the best option if both mains and subs have balanced XLR inputs.

Instead of the XLR-Y-splitters ADI-2’s individual XLR and the TRS / RCA (depending on ADI-2 model) can be used in any combination that makes sense.

Using balanced interconnects (XLR, TRS) can avoid possible hum and noise problems, but often that’s not a problem anyway.
To take this advantage both sides, outs and ins, need to be balanced.

(*1) https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/MEDIAX_849526-T3/images/I/71MWF3TgBZS._SX522_.jpg

My floor speakers' frequency response is 32-25kHz +/- 3dB, and the sealed sub is rated at 20-270Hz +/- 3dB. Add another 2-3Hz lower for room size gain. The sub only has RCA or speaker terminals, with no pass-through. I plan to connect it to the TRS output of the ADI-2/4 Pro SE using the adapters provided in @KaiS's first reply.

The sub has an app that I can connect to with my phone via Bluetooth to configure a myriad of settings. Using REW and a calibrated microphone, I was able to reduce a null from my floor speakers with some positioning and the addition of the subwoofer. This is my office, where I am the only person seated in the same spot, so it was not necessary, fortunately, for me to fiddle around with multiple subs or moving furniture. I do have a bunch of sound-damping material on all the walls, but it is too thin to impact the problematic frequencies below 100Hz significantly.

I did not have any issues with ground loop hums before with this configuration using the ADI-2 DAC FS. I connect my source via USB and can always add my Intona USB isolator if it somehow becomes an issue with the new DAC.

I have set up two EQ profiles on the ADI DACs: one before acquiring the subwoofer and another after its installation. The subwoofer settings are stored on my phone, and I've transferred the EQ settings from the older ADI DAC to the new one. I intend to take further measurements in the future. At present, the most noticeable difference seems to be in the volume levels, which appear louder at the same reference level and loudness settings. Specifically, the ADI-2 DAC FS, when set to -54 (Auto Ref -5dBu), seemed quieter compared to the new ADI-2/4 DAC PRO SE, even though the latter indicates +1dBU. I'm uncertain if this difference is due to the accurate level being displayed when using balanced XLR connections. Previously, it was necessary to add +6dB to the reading on the older DAC when using XLR connections, a step that might not be needed with the new model.

The setup sounds fantastic, as always. I stream Apple Music through my iPad Mini, which sits perfectly atop my DAC and is magnetically secured with the smart folio cover as if they were made for each other. I opt for the highest quality lossless format available and avoid using the app's volume normalization feature across tracks. This choice leads to significant volume differences when shuffling through my extensive music library of over 50,000 tracks, ranging from modern 44.1kHz 16-bit pop songs with limited dynamic range to 192kHz 24-bit jazz tracks with a much broader dynamic range. Consequently, having volume, bass, and treble controls within easy reach on my desk is particularly beneficial.

10 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-18 22:23:22)

ADI-2 DAC has a different output level than the two ADI-2 Pro versions.

On the Pro’s, XLR and TRS have the same output level, and the dBr value (when Auto Ref Level is on) references to +24 dBu. (*1)

On ADI-2 DAC the XLRs are 6 dB hotter than the RCAs and the dBr value in the display (Auto Ref Level on) refers to the 6 dB lower RCA level of +13 dBu max.

So, for the same dBr value the DAC is 5 dB (XLR) or 11 dB (RCA) quieter than the Pro’s.
This fits to the intended use case - home equipment tends to not being able  take as high levels as pro stuff.

(*1):
For technical reasons the pro versions TRSs can’t output more than ca. +22 dBu, so they do NOT follow the XLRs when Ref Level is switched to +24 dBu.
This leads to a bit strange TRS behavior, when dialing above -5 dBr (+19 dBu) they go down by 4.5 dB.

If you’re now a bit whirly in your head after reading all the figures above, don’t worry, this is normal. smile

Previously, when I used the ADI-2 DAC, I activated the Auto Reference Level feature. The display indicated a level of -5 dBu (Auto). However, since I was utilizing the XLR output to connect to my power amplifier, which in turn powered my floor speakers, the actual output level was 6 dB higher, effectively making it +1 dBu. Now, with the Pro model, I've also enabled the Auto Reference Level, and the volume display reads +1 dBu (Auto). I haven't yet connected the subwoofer. Given the variability in volume across different audio tracks and various biases, it's nearly impossible to subjectively assess the overall volume level. Nonetheless, the volume seems to be roughly the same as before, albeit slightly louder.

It seems likely that I'll need to tweak the Digital Signal Processing (DSP) settings with the subwoofer's app and the DAC's PEQ once I integrate the subwoofer. This is because the TRS output will likely differ significantly in volume if I maintain the same setup.

12 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-18 23:13:58)

crazybaby wrote:

It seems likely that I'll need to tweak the Digital Signal Processing (DSP) settings with the subwoofer's app and the DAC's PEQ once I integrate the subwoofer. This is because the TRS output will likely differ significantly in volume if I maintain the same setup.

If you had the subs at the RCA’s and now at the TRSs, simply bring them down by 6 dB.

No other change needed.

Don’t exceed -5 dBr volume dial on the Pro, as the TRSs will switch back by 5 dB then, relative to the XLRs - see above, remark (*1).
Typically you’ll never ever come even close to that level anyway, as it will shake your house down smile

KaiS wrote:
crazybaby wrote:

If you had the subs at the RCA’s and now at the TRSs, simply bring them down by 6 dB.

No other change needed.

Don’t exceed -5 dBr volume dial on the Pro, as the TRSs will switch back by 5 dB then, relative to the XLRs - see above, remark (*1).
Typically you’ll never ever come even close to that level anyway, as it will shake your house down smile

Thanks again! Yes, I pulled up my DAC's PEQ setting I named "Sub Connected", and then adjusted the subwoofer's main volume setting in the app from -8 to -14 and it seemed right at my regular listening experience.

-5 dBr! Nope! I like my neighbors.

KaiS wrote:

For this config XLR Y-splitters 1xXLRf to 2xXLRm (*1) are the best option if both mains and subs have balanced XLR inputs.

(*1) https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/MEDIAX_849526-T3/images/I/71MWF3TgBZS._SX522_.jpg

Y splitter of XLR outputs makes signal weaker by [a couple of]db.
It can cause Auto Ref to be off base.
So, with the Y splitter -- looks like I should switch off the Auto Ref function on RME ADI 2/4 Pro?

15 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-19 08:41:11)

neotinto wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Y splitter of XLR outputs makes signal weaker by [a couple of]db.
It can cause Auto Ref to be off base.
So, with the Y splitter -- looks like I should switch off the Auto Ref function on RME ADI 2/4 Pro?

I don’t know where this “information” origins from, but it’s not true.

The difference between feeding one input or two depends on the devices feed, but worst case (both destinations 10 kOhm input impedance) it’s just 0.17 dB.

For typical standard destinations (47 kOhm) it’s even less: 0.04 dB.

In both cases simply insignificant, negligible.

Plus: it‘s not related to and does NOT interfere with ADI-2‘s Auto Ref function in any way.

KaiS wrote:

This info came from this Reddit thread, where someone mentioned up to 6db, and others disagreed: https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineeri … lr_ycable/

Thank you for correcting that info.
Following your response = I am happily looking for XLR splitter now smile

Thank you!

17 (edited by KaiS 2024-02-20 00:10:25)

neotinto wrote:
KaiS wrote:

This info came from this Reddit thread, where someone mentioned up to 6db, and others disagreed: https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineeri … lr_ycable/

Yeah, the net is a great source of misinformation!

All those experts out there who don’t know which side of the soldering iron to hold in the hand… but telling others how to use it smile

The funny thing is, that ChatGBT and other AI’s now start to repeat this …