Topic: UCX Ringing Oscillation on input channels

Hello (First Post),

Hopefully someone will be able to help

I have a Fireface UCX which has performed perfectly for the last 9 or so years but today it has developed a ringing oscillation on the input channels.

I normally have an electric guitar plugged into input 3 for recording into cubase or for playing through Amp sims, the Amp sim or Cubase sounds fine, but in the background, and as the sound fades away is this ringing oscillation like a feedback. This is also happening if I play my Helix which is connected to the digital input of the UCX.

I've swapped cables, tried different UCX inputs, tried different programs. It doesn't happen if I play a softsynth, or playback an older Cubase project, it only seems to be on inputs.

I've recorded a soundfile of the issue.

I updated the drivers and firmware a few weeks ago, but this issue has only started today.

Really tearing my hair out!!

Thanks

Frank

Re: UCX Ringing Oscillation on input channels

So the unwanted ringing sound arrives also in the DAW? Not only over direct routed / monitored channels on the hardware output in Totamix?
I ask because I first assumed some accidentally activated efx in Totalmix.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Yes oli77sch,

the ringing arrives in the DAW, even via the spdif input.

To be honest I've always found Totalmix a bit confusing, but I'll try and spend some time with it today and see if I can find something.

Thanks for response!!!

fgb1967 wrote:

I've always found Totalmix a bit confusing, [...]

Intro and links to informations here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34394

In short: submix mode, click to an HW output (bottom row) to see the submix according to fader positions of top and middle row. Top row = audio from the HW inputs, middle row = audio from the PC.
Each HW output has his individual submix.
By clicking to any HW output, you see its individual submix according to fader positions.
Click the button Sub on the right side to see only those channels which send audio to the HW output / submix.
It is really easy once understood.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

TotalMix is not related to the recording path. On the other side it’s difficult to say how and where / when exactly the issue happens as long you listen back using the RME interface. To be sure it would be good to use another audio hardware to listen to the recording. If the issue persists, it’s not related to TotalMix, but maybe to the hardware input on the UCX.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

So it appears I now have an RF problem somewhere in my music room.

I was able to try UCX mic input with DI, direct headphone out on Helix and 2nd PC with IK iRig HD, as well as swapping cables guitars etc.

I sincerely hope it's not because of the new Air Con unit installed in the next room!

Many thanks for input and ideas.