1 (edited by jeneratethis 2024-03-23 22:19:45)

Topic: USB Flash tool (not) running

Greetings,
I just updated my Intel Mac Mini to Sonoma (14.4). I installed the latest device driver (for UCX USB) before figuring out that I needed the firmware flash. During that install process, I did Allow RME security access (thru system prefs)

I then watched the Kernel vs Extensions video. Jumped into Recovery mode and tied to put the Security settings to Reduced but under Sonoma Reduced isn't a option, only Medium. So I set it to Medium and rebooted. I grabbed the "fut_usb_mac.zip" installer and ran it. It opens and recognizes the UCX, but clicking on Update does nothing. No progress bar change. Also, in the Activity monitor the app is running but not really doing much at all.

Help me Obi-Wans, you're my only hope. ;-)
Thanks!

2 (edited by waedi 2024-03-23 22:57:29)

Re: USB Flash tool (not) running

The FUT needs a working driver.
You have to install an old driver prior to flash.
Use the usb_mac_331 driver
After success FUT, install the usbdk_mac_410 driver.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Yes, what waedi writes!
Reduced security is needed for kernel extension driver but not for driverkit one. That’s exactly the reason why RME developed the new drivers.
Sadly the kext driver is necessary to install the updated firmware on some older interface models.

FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

Thanks folks. That worked. It's mostly a repeat of what I did previously but this time it worked. So clearly I missed something the first time.

Thanks for your time cool