1 (edited by Mark_S 2024-04-03 16:57:56)

Topic: Which Fireface has latest AD/DA converters and steady clock?

Hi all,

I am wondering which Fireface model has both, the latest set of AD/DA converters and the latest implementation of steady clock fs with the most effective jitter suppression.

Looking at the technical data, it seems that 802fs, UFX II (new hardware rev) and UFX III have the latest AD/DA converters used (THD+N <-110dB). UCX II has THD+N performance 6dB worse.

Regarding steady clock, 802fs and UFX III seem to be state of the art, and UFX II seems to be 2 generations behind (30dB jitter suppression >2,4kHz for UFX II vs 50dB >1Hz for 802fs and UFX III). Is this correct, or was steady clock also revised in UFX II hardware revision 2023?

Reason for asking: I am looking for best AD/DA performance and jitter suppression for my use case and prefer a unit with display and knobs for standalone operation. UFX II would be the "sweat spot" as I do not need the feature set of UFX III, however, I do not want to invest in outdated technology.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards, Mark

BR Mark
ADI-2 Pro FS R BE / UFX II
Minidsp SHD
Neumann KH120, KH310, KH810 / Audeze LCD-X

2 (edited by ramses 2024-04-03 17:05:06)

Re: Which Fireface has latest AD/DA converters and steady clock?

Some time ago, you could read that the UFX II got the same analog section like the UFX III.
Also, the digital board is the same in terms of SPDIF (for all ADAT ports).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Mark_S 2024-04-03 17:58:28)

Thank you for this info!

Can someone please officially confirm that UFX II and III have the same SteadyClock implementation?

I was confused because the technical spec on the product pages for UFX II and UFX III are clearly different regarding steady clock performance.

Additionally the UFX II manual, section 40.7 SteadyClock FS, seems to be wrong as it references ADI 2/4 Pro SE, not UFX II...

BR Mark
Minidsp SHD

4 (edited by ramses 2024-04-03 18:00:36)

Yes, Tech Specs for UFX II on webpage have still the old values for jitter suppression:

UFX II:  Jitter suppression: > 30 dB (2.4 kHz)
UFX III: Jitter suppression: > 50 dB (> 1 Hz)

But don't worry, later versions of UFX II have according to RME the new boards and same AKM converter like UFX III.
So the only difference to the UFX III should be "USB2" and "no MADI".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Got it, thanks.

Another question, another topic, did not find this info in the manual: can I use the UFX II main dial to adjust loudness of a fader group (4 out channels - mains + subs) in standalone mode? Or do I require an additional ARC?

BR Mark
Minidsp SHD

Mark_S wrote:

Additionally the UFX II manual, section 40.7 SteadyClock FS, seems to be wrong as it references ADI 2/4 Pro SE, not UFX II...

Fixed in German manual of UFX II, UFX III and UCX II.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by Mark_S 2024-04-04 08:25:26)

Thank you Matthias.

@MC - Sorry for bugging, but can you please confirm that UFX II (new rev) and UFX III use the exact same SteadyClock implementation? Only confirmation I found so far is inofficial (thank you Ramses).

I want to pull the trigger on UFX II or UFX III,  do not need MADI, but want the latest technology. Would be nice to save some budget and go with the UFX II.

BR Mark
Minidsp SHD

The official confirmation is on the website (it does say SteadyClock FS) and in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Mark_S 2024-04-05 11:53:46)

So that means there is only one version of SteadyClock FS and all products featuring SteadyClock FS have the exact same jitter suppression?

Sorry for being somewhat pedantic here, but my very first question was not officially answered yet. And there are different technical data for jitter suppression on different product pages, all featuring SteadyClock FS...

BR Mark
Minidsp SHD

No longer, that has been fixed. If you find more we'll gladly fix them too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias, thank you.

I just ordered a UFX II following your confirmation :-)

BR Mark
Minidsp SHD

Mark_S wrote:

Matthias, thank you.

I just ordered a UFX II following your confirmation :-)

Excellent choice smile