Topic: Babyface (original) not detected after use of USB extension cable

Hello everyone,

For the first time in almost 10 years of heavy use, I tried to plug my Babyface through an USB extension cable... Big mistake ??

Since then, the Babyface is not recognized at all on any PC (Windows in normal mode nor Linux in class compliant mode), with or without the extension cable, while its powered and working normally at first glance. I can even power a static mic in CC mode and see the input signal with the LEDs.

However, from the computer it's just as if nothing is plugged on the USB port. A command like "lsusb" on Linux won't show anything.

I used that extension cable on the "big one" of the two plugs from the dual USB cable originally provided with the Babyface.
After that (and after I noticed it wont work anymore) I tried to plug the Babyface through another simple USB cable, but it showed me angry red LEDs so I thought the cable was not compatible. I haven't tried with another dual USB cable.

Seems unusual as I read that people are using the Babyface with extension cables with no issues on other forums.

Did I just brick my mighty Babyface ?

Re: Babyface (original) not detected after use of USB extension cable

(update) Actually, the Babyface seems to run in stand-alone mode by default since then.

I can't find any way from the manual to get out of this and "force" normal mode (switching between normal and CC mode wont do anything new), and I don't know if I made something that would make this impossible...

3 (edited by ramses 2024-04-26 09:27:57)

More concrete details, please.

What do you mean by "extension cable" exactly in your case? Is it an active or passive extension?

And what are the cable length of the two cables that you connect?
Are you aware of, that the max cable length for USB2 is 5m in total for passive cabling?

If you are looking for active USB extensions, then I would use an active USB3 extension from StarTech, see my posting here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 71#p210971

Works also for USB2, as USB3 is USB2 compatible.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hello,
I mean the simplest USB 2 extension cable you can imagine, like this one  (randomly found on the web).

So a passive one. Mine is 1.80m long, plus the 80cm cable provided with the Babyface, the total cable length was 2.60m.

I just needed a few more centimeters and I can easily do without the extension. But if needed (and if I get to fix that), I'll check an active cable in the future, thanks for the link.

5 (edited by ramses 2024-04-26 11:05:59)

It can always happen that you get a bad cable, especially if you buy a cheap product from a random/unknown vendor.

I also wouldn't use passive extensions if there is (absolutely) no need to. Up to 5 m is supported by the standard. Even for USB3 3 m are supported according to standards.

In your case, you even only need 3 m. So it would have been better to buy a 3 m USB2 cable of good quality without using any extension. If you can avoid "passive" extensions, then I would recommend to do so.

Cables from Lindy offer a good price/quality ratio, I recommend this one for your purpose:
https://www.lindy.de/3m-USB-2-0-Typ-A-a … ;ci=800501

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

It is possible the USB chip  on the babyface is damaged, at least that is how the symptoms sound. It is rare, but possible, to damage the usb chip when connecting it to usb when the PC is powered, more so with cables which plugs are not 100% up to spec.
With firewire that was even more problematic and I did blow up a firewire chip of my tascam FW1804.
The only 100% safe method is to have no power connected to the PC when connecting. But honestly I don't do that for USb. FOr firewire I do now, since I blew up my tascam.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hello and thank you all for your answers !

@ramses, I wasn't clear with my example but I bought the USB extension cable from a well known digital shop in France.
For more technical details, the following is printed on the cable :

"AWM TYPE 2725 60° 30V 28AWG/1PR AND 24AWG/2C JSM USB 2.0"

I don't know if it can help anyone to explain what happened.
I used to use this cable to plug a WiFi dongle or a MIDI keyboard with no issue.

@vinark, I must confess I always plugged and unplugged the Babyface while it was powered on. I always knew it is no good practice but I never had an issue before, in 8-9 years doing so. My computer's power supply keeps supplying some USB ports (including the one with the Babyface plugged in) while the computer is off, plus I kept forgotting to switch between normal mode on Windows and CC mode on Linux all the time... I'll have to care more in the future indeed !

This said, I confirm my Babyface works normally in stand-alone mode.