Topic: Babyface Pro FS AS1/2 does not loop back to SPDIF/ADAT(1+2)

I have connected a Babyface Pro FS to a Windows 10 PC and set SPDIF/ADAT(1+2) as the Playback Default Device.
When I Loopback AS 1/2 of the Hardware Outputs in TotalMix, it should be looped back to SPDIF/ADAT(1+2) on the recording device, but there is no input.
Instead, it is input to AN1/2 of Software Playback on TotalMix (I have not copied and pasted channels from AS 1/2 to AN1/2).

I confirmed that when I set AN1/2 as the Default Device and Loopback, it is input to Analog(1+2) on the recording device.

I also confirmed that if you copy and paste other channels to the "Main" channel of TotalMix and press the Loopback button, the channels are input to Analog(3+4) on the recording device.

Is it normal that the Loopback behavior is different only for AS1/2?
Or is there some setting that I'm missing?
This may be a basic question, but I would appreciate your help.

Re: Babyface Pro FS AS1/2 does not loop back to SPDIF/ADAT(1+2)

What recording software are you using, and are you using ASIO or WDM in that software?

Regards,
Audio AG Support

The main recording software I use is OBS. I'm sure I'm not using exclusive mode.
Even the device level meter under the Recording tab in the Sound section of the Windows Control Panel doesn't respond (the level meter does move if I use Loopback to Analog(1+2) or (3+4)).

OBS is a bit difficult when it comes to loopback. It only accepts AN1-2 by default. But if you install the ASIO input capture plugin you can use all channels. Add ASIO input capture in "sources".
https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio/releases

But it doesn't explain why you don't see a signal in the Windows recording input. It works with our BF Pro on Windows 10.
- The output fader AS 1-2 is up?

Maybe you can test with another ASIO DAW, to check the loopback functionality.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

The SPDIF/ADAT(1/2) fader in the Windows Control Panel, the HARDWARE OUTPUTS fader for AS1/2 in TotalMix, and the AS1/2 fader in SOFTWARE PLAYBACK when AS1/2 is selected in SUBMIX mode. All are set to 0db (100%).
The fader in the HARDWARE INPUTS are set to -infinity, but I heard that this has nothing to do with Loopback (in fact, AN1/2 and instr. 3/4 can also be looped back at -infinity).

I'll also try testing it with ASIO DAW, thanks for the advice.

The Babyface pro FS that is having issues is a second-hand product that I purchased, and I am currently in the process of returning it due to a different issue.

After returning it, I plan to purchase another Babyface pro FS.
However, if the fact that the AS1/2 loopback is not input to SPDIF/ADAT(1+2) is not a problem but is in accordance with the product specifications, I will not purchase it again because the Babyface pro FS will not suit my intended use.

6 (edited by oli77sch 2024-06-12 12:20:44)

SeparatedImages wrote:

However, if the fact that the AS1/2 loopback is not input to SPDIF/ADAT(1+2) is not a problem but is in accordance with the product specifications, I will not purchase it again because the Babyface pro FS will not suit my intended use.

Never heard about such behaviour. I do have a BFpro myself and of course every hw output can be looped back to the corresponding hw input.
I suggest you to do a full reset in Totalmix and begin from scratch with all the routings.
EDIT: what firmware is installed on the device?

UCX - FF 400 - Babyface pro - Digiface USB - ADI-2 (original)
Mac mini M1 - Macbook pro - iPad Air2

SeparatedImages wrote:

T

If that was the case it would not have worked with my Babyface Pro test today, as I have written in my previous post.

Indeed as oli77sch writes, check the firmware and driver version, the version of TotalMix FX and perform a Total Reset in TotalMix.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

8 (edited by SeparatedImages 2024-06-12 12:46:59)

oli77sch wrote:

Never heard about such behaviour. I do have a BFpro myself and of course every hw output can be looped back to the corresponding hw input.

That's the word I wanna hear!
I will buy Babyface pro FS again with confidence!

I have already run Total Reset in ResetMix in TotalMix Options many times and then built a loopback, but the result remains the same.

I updated the firmware from 199 to 206 immediately after purchasing the used item.
Just to be sure, I ran the 206 updater again about an hour ago, but the result was the same.
The original owner said he had tested it, but had not experienced any similar problems.

Can you double check on a different computer? Mac or Windows doesn't matter.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

In your initial post you write

SeparatedImages wrote:

I have connected a Babyface Pro FS to a Windows 10 PC and set SPDIF/ADAT(1+2) as the Playback Default Device…

But are you also sure the playback signals really reach 'software playback' channels AS1/2?

I don't have a Mac, so I tried it on a Win laptop, and I was able to loopback AS1/2 to SPDIF/ADAT (1+2) without any problems!
I wonder why I didn't try this sooner.

This seems to be a problem with the driver on my main PC, so I will try reinstalling it.
For now I'm relieved that it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem with the Babyface Pro FS.

This has been a great help, thanks to everyone who helped troubleshoot!

It’s the same for Mac and WinPC, the loopback feature runs on the interface itself (DSP, so pure digital). So - to my little knowledge - it’s also not related to the driver.