1 (edited by The Beatsmith 2024-06-16 22:41:20)

Topic: Dual MADI USB based devices?

Hi,

I have a MADIFace Pro USB with an SSL Alphalink SX and a Lavry AD10 and DA10 via AES. MADIFace Pro internal clock is master clock.

If I want more channels, could I purchase an another RME MADIFace USB and e.g. another SSL Alphalink SX and get another 24 in/out?

Or does one have to sell the MADIFace Pro and buy a MADIFace XT?

Does Totalmix / RME drivers 'understand' dual audio interfaces, or would you have to cludge it via aggregate device in MacOS?

Thanks!

Ed

Mac Studio Ultra, MADIFace Pro, SSL Alphalink SX/Lavry AD10/DA10, macOS 14.3.1, Logic 11, SSL Matrix

Re: Dual MADI USB based devices?

You can purchase another Alphalink and daisy chain both devices to the MADIface you already have. It can handle 64 channels in 44.1 kHz and 48kHz. No need fo second MADIface. Unless your record on 96Hz or higher.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

3 (edited by Kubrak 2024-06-17 10:21:11)

User guide should say how many devices one may run. Usually it is up to three, but check it out.

If using two devices they would be separate in TM. You would have to switch between them in TM or open two instances of TM with each of them.

On Mac you would have to use aggregate device (Mac users say. I am Win user.), on Win the both would be included in one common driver.

4 (edited by ramses 2024-06-17 11:07:00)

Audio AG Support wrote:

You can purchase another Alphalink and daisy chain both devices to the MADIface you already have. It can handle 64 channels in 44.1 kHz and 48kHz. No need fo second MADIface. Unless your record on 96Hz or higher.

Three devices per driver are tested by RME, theoretically more is possible.

But then you need to test / check whether your PC / Apple is capable of handling this many I/O channels.
You should take care, that not two interfaces are connected to the same USB controller.
I am not sure if / how you can check that on Apple.

Remember, all I/O channels are being transferred no matter whether the audio channels are in use or not
(only exception to this rule of thumb the HDSPe MADI FX driver which optimizes this by grouping channels in chunks of 8 ports and only if at least one channel of such a group of 8ch is in use the driver allocates resources for those 8ch).

As RME mentioned, MADI supports up to 64ch at single speed (44.1/48 kHz) and you can chain the devices at one MADI port.
For two of those devices, the port capacity on one MADI bus is fully sufficient.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by The Beatsmith 2024-06-18 01:08:39)

Sorry I should have made it clear that I run many projects at 96k!

Doesn’t MacOS aggregate device add latency or some usability issues? My memory tells me that there’s some kind of issue with it…

Thank you for your responses

Mac Studio Ultra, MADIFace Pro, SSL Alphalink SX/Lavry AD10/DA10, macOS 14.3.1, Logic 11, SSL Matrix

Do not overlook the need to run each device on separate USB2 controller as Ramses already wrote. IMHO one USB2 controller is able to run just one MADI USB because of bandwitch limitation of USB2.

https://rme-audio.de/rme-usb-technology.html

If I think about it, MADIFace XT seems to be better technical solution than getting second MADIFace Pro. One device, one TM, one USB, no need for agregate device...

7 (edited by The Beatsmith 2024-06-18 15:12:14)

Yes, the MADIFace Pro is discontinued but I was thinking of a cheap MADIFace USB as I don't need the extra features of the Pro.

The XT is very expensive, but perhaps if I sold the MADIFace Pro it would work out around the same. I'll have to see.

But I'd be curious to know if anybody has run two USB MADI devices successfully smile

I run 2 old madifaces , one via pci expresscrad, one via pci expresscard over thunderbolt sonnett Chassis.
Works well enough .  No hotplugging though.
Georg

georgob wrote:

I run 2 old madifaces , one via pci expresscrad, one via pci expresscard over thunderbolt sonnett Chassis.
Works well enough .  No hotplugging though.
Georg

Great! How does it come up in totalmix? I’d like the ability to sum/send at least 40 channels to my analog mixer @ 96khz