Topic: Recording via Madi and virtual sound check playback questions

Hi there,

Just wanted to run a few things by you all regards recording live shows and virtual playback soundchecks.

I normally use a dedicated madi recording pc which i hire in, but ive heards lots of good things about rme, I thought I would try them out and buy my own system.

I normally use a digico sd7 or d5 and record all the shows via madi and also use these recordings for virtual soundchecks and also trying new things in the mix without having to have the band on stage.

Ill be using a macpro and also I presume I will also just need 2x hdspe madi 128 i/o cards as need to record and play back 96 channels. Im looking at tracking in logic studio.

Anyone have any thoughts / comments / ideas of this set up or better ones?

Also what would you say minimum spec of the macpro should be?

Re: Recording via Madi and virtual sound check playback questions

The 2008 (8-Core) or previous (4-Core) Mac Pro - even in the smallest CPU configuration - is a good choice and should be fast enough for your needs. An upgrade to 4-6 GB of RAM and one or two additional high-end HDs for the internal drive bays, like the Samsung SPINPOINT F1 RAID (750 GB or 1 TB), is recommended.

best regards
Knut

Cool as thanks for that

What about a g5 2.77ghz processor? As been offered one with 6meg of Ram at a damm nice price

noisegeek wrote:

Cool as thanks for that

What about a g5 2.77ghz processor? As been offered one with 6meg of Ram at a damm nice price

I would not go for a G5 these days. Way to slow, and not sure how long Apple will support it.
And you can not run Windows on them.

P

5 (edited by noisegeek 2009-01-05 15:17:52)

Yeah was my concern a little, but since I managed to pick it up at a real good price, still boxed and I dont need windows on this machine Ill see how it goes. Also its only going to be the recording machine for the madi stuff

I heard a lot of rumors about apple bringing out a new mac pro in the next few months so didnt want to cash out for a new one if its going to be upgraded so soon. Just a shame you cant connect a couple of madiface's to a laptop