Topic: Multiface II just stopped working, LED always on

After some initial troubles installing the thing, my Multiface II with a PCI-card worked flawlessly for some time. But today when I turned on the computer it just wouldn't work. The red LED stays lit, doesn't blink, it's lit constantly as it should be during the booting. Clicking on TotalMix or the control panel doesn't do anything, they don't open. In the device manager, there's the yellow exclamation mark next to the RME entry and under properties it says: "Your computer's system firmware does not include enough information to properly configure and use this device.  To use this device, contact your computer manufacturer to obtain a firmware or BIOS update. (Code 35)".

I didn't change anything, this just happened out of the blue. Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EX58 running 64bit Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Thanks, David

Re: Multiface II just stopped working, LED always on

I assume you've tried rebooting (cold and warm)?  Sometimes, my older Multiface will not get detected on a fresh boot (same symptoms as yours) and I have to do a "warm reboot" - then it initializes just fine.  I'm not sure what causes this as my PCI card is newer and out of the range of cards that needed a power modification to prevent this issue.

What hardware revision is your PCI card?  Is your PC's Power Supply in good shape?

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

That was quick, thanks. Yes, I've booted several times, the longest wait with the computer off for about 15 minutes.

The power supply should be fine, I built this computer with selected components about two or three months ago. I don't know what hardware revision my card is, I'd have to check. But my studio doesn't have internet access, which makes trouble shooting quite a hassle.

I had some problems getting the card installed initially and I just had a look at that thread. The card wasn't recognized properly and I got the same error message that I'm getting now. At one time I booted without the jumper on the HDSP card, which led to a blue screen and self repair mode. I then put the jumper back in it just worked. So I'll try this tomorrow as well. Do you have any idea what that jumper is for?

With computers anything is possible and sometimes some components just don't like each other. But if there was some incompatibility with the card and the motherboard or whatever, I could understand. It's just strange that it was working fine and one day it just wouldn't..

I don't know what that jumper is for (maybe for a factory Firmware re-flash?).

Have you tried different FW cables and tried to re-seat the card in the PCI slot?

I know some older PCI HDSP cards required a modification to prevent voltage sag when the FPGA firmware is being loaded which would cause these issues.  I want to say PCI HDSP v1.4 and older are affected, but don't quote me on that (a search will likely bring it up).

Maybe MC or someone will chime in with other suggestions.  Good luck - I'll check back to see if you get this resolved...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

OK, this is really strange. Went to the studio, turned the computer on - nothing. I then took out the PCI-card (Hardware Revision 1.9 btw) removed that jumper labelled "boot", put it back in, booted and the multiface initialized correctly. Reboot - nothing again. Put the jumper back on, didn't work either. Took the jumper out again and it worked again and has since (about 3 boots). Even though it seems to be working at them moment without the jumper (the last couple of months it worked with it), I don't feel too comfortable about this. I can't open up my computer and start (re)moving jumpers everytime I want to work.

Can somebody at least please enlighten me what that dreaded jumper is for? I can't find any mentioning in the docs whatsoever..

Thanks, David

6 (edited by undertone 2009-12-07 17:09:07)

Beauvais wrote:

Can somebody at least please enlighten me what that dreaded jumper is for? I can't find any mentioning in the docs whatsoever..

I think that if you really want to know what that jumper is for, you'll have to move to Germany, work for RME, and then maybe after a decade of faithful service, you MIGHT get to enter the chamber of RME secrets; but then only after a series of grueling life-threatening tests of your will and determination, will it be possible to submit a proper request, signed in triplicate, to the requisite authorities who will evaluate your performance and only then, if they are so inclined, let you speak to the person who knows someone, who knows someone, who knows someone who actually knows what that jumper is for.

Good luck! lol

PS: do let us know what he says :-)

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

Blue Jumper
This is no internal input or output. The blue jumper allows you to change the card's power-on delay when booting the computer. Factory default is jumper in place. The FPGA of the HDSP 9632 (Edit: any PCI card with that jumper) will then be booted about 0.5 seconds after switching on the computer. This provides an effective way to get rid of problems caused by unstable power supplies in the moment of power-on. In case this delay will become a problem some day (very unlikely, and no system known so far), the jumper can be pulled. The delay is then reduced to 30 ms.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, thanks for both the sarcastic and the serious posts :-)

Reading this, it makes sense, why it worked with both the jumper in place and out, even though not consistently. Obviously my power supply can handle the non-delayed power drain from the card as it seems to work best without the jumper, why that still makes a difference is beyond me then..

But thanks for explaining, now I know what the jumper is for and can hopefully better trouble shoot in the future (keeping my fingers crossed it won't be necessary in the first place).

Still confused about the random performance of the card, but thanks again for the info!

Hello,

I am experiencing a the same problem... with my multiface... it boots with a red led and at os boot stays neither red nor green
strangely in the setting it is displayed as digiface...???

for about 8 years i never had that problem....

I will try to do the thing with the jumper ....

should i understand that propbably the power tranformer of my pc has problems --- or that my rme is getting old and propably will fail permantely....

Mathias or Beauvais i would apriciate your exeperience in the matter....

Happy new year

You do not have the same problem. Your PCI card works but can not communicate or load the external unit. Try an external power supply for the Multiface, and a different FW cable. After that you will need to send it in for check/repair.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME