Topic: "Bug" in TotalMix with the Midi Implementation

Hi everyone,

I put this question/"bug report" in this folder because I am working with ADI 648 and Madi stuff, but I think its a general problem of TotalMix.

In my opinion there is a little "bug" in Totalmix with the midi implementation for the control of all simlpe not on/off messages described in chapter 31.5 in the manual

This "bug" affects all the buttons in TotalMix (DIM,MONO,TALKBACK,MONITOR MAIN,MONITOR PHONES an the PRESETS)

For example: If I want to control the DIM button via Midi:

the correct midi message(s) range must be (in hex) : 90 5D 01 up to 90 5D FF to toggle the button that means a midi NOTE ON message with a velocity greater then 00.

But the button only reacts when I send the following message (in hex) : 90 5D 00. The DIM button toggle again (off) when I send the message 90 5D 00 again.

That means the button only reacts when I send a Note On message with the velocity of 00 but
many keyboards and other midi equipment interprets a velocity of  00 similar to a NOTE OFF message.

So, if I want to work in connection with oher midi equipment I have the problem to translate the midi messages going to the Totalmix software "on the fly".
I solved the problem by working with the software ?Bomes Midi Translator?, but for me I think it can't be a big deal to change the behavior of Totalmix to a "correct" working, so that TotalMix reacts on Midi Note On messages with a velocity greater then 00.

It works so far, but I am interested in needing as few normaly unneeded softwaretools as possible in doing audio recording, mixing and mastering.

If you could change this little software "bug" in the next update of Totalmix I would be very glad.

Thanks!!

Peter
Sonoarte Limited

Re: "Bug" in TotalMix with the Midi Implementation

This is not a bug, it is the Mackie standard. And most probably makes sense to prevent all these buttons to react on real keyboard notes by accident.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: "Bug" in TotalMix with the Midi Implementation

Hi Mr. Carstens,

thanks for the quick reply.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!" Are you shure?

Let's look at two further test of TotalMix:

1.) Pressing the DIM button with the pc mouse:

pressing once (the button turns blue for ON) TotalMix emits the midi message to the out port 90 5D 7F
      pressing twice (the button turns gray again for OFF) TotalMix emits the midi message 90 5D 00

That seems to be the "correct" way of behavior.

2.) Sending the message 90 5D 00 to the TotalMix turns the DIM ON and (surprise,surprise!!)produces a message on the output port 90 5D 7F
Sending the same massage 90 5D 00 to the TotalMix again, turns the DIM OFF and produces a message on the output port 90 5D 00

So in the first case TotalMix changes the midi message and in the second case TotalMix doesn't change the midi message, depending of the status of the DIM button. I don't think that is mackie standard too.

All midi equipment doesn't change any midi messages when the message passes through the equipment.
Are you really shure you want TotalMix to react in this way?

A happy new year for you and all the folks out !!

Peter
Sonoarte Limited