Topic: ADI-8 Pro Questions.

Hello, not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm just going to do it. I have a AIO and wanted to add an ADI-8 Pro through ADAT. What I'm not sure about is firstly delay. How much signal delay should I expect from the unit. Im thinking of connecting a machinedrum or jomox 808 outputs into it. Secondly how does one chose if I want the 8 analog connections to work as A/D into my PC or D/A to an external unit? Also, would the unit work with the AIO? Lastly, any recommendations on cable length as to not affect signal delay.

-Thanks

Re: ADI-8 Pro Questions.

?

3 (edited by Zapp 2010-03-16 16:39:05)

fabriciom wrote:

How much signal delay should I expect from the unit.

AFAIK a few samples, forget about it...

Cable length: this is an optical connection, so it is sufficient for most purposes...if not, there are repeaters...

AD/DA is simultaneously available...via Totalmix you can route everything to anything and back...

I have an ADI8-PRO......

regards
Zapp

Regards
Zapp

Zapp wrote:
fabriciom wrote:

How much signal delay should I expect from the unit.

AFAIK a few samples, forget about it...

Cable length: this is an optical connection, so it is sufficient for most purposes...if not, there are repeaters...

AD/DA is simultaneously available...via Totalmix you can route everything to anything and back...

I have an ADI8-PRO......

regards
Zapp

What do you mean with "forget about it"? As in there is barely any delay or a lot? I have no idea how much delay a "few samples" has...

48 kHz = 48,000 samples per second = 48 samples per millisecond.

At 48 kHz sample rate, a 48 sample delay is a 1 ms delay.

1 ms is approximately the time it takes for sound waves to travel 1 foot through air.

Since we are dealing with sub-millisecond delay, "forget about it". It's about the same as moving the mic a little farther from the source.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

The delay in an AD/DA stage is nothing compared to the delay within the computer and you can forget it.
I don't know the exact delay for the AD/DA converters in the ADI8-PRO, but I use the ADI and there is no noticable delay...
So to answer your question: There is barely any delay.:-)

regards
Zapp

Regards
Zapp

Ok guys thanks for the info. Will be hunting for one of these on ebay.

-Cheers

OK Finally got my hands on one. I dont know if my ears are tricking me but I could swear this sounds better than my AIO. Are the converters in the ADI-8 Pro better then the ones in the AIO?

9 (edited by Randyman... 2010-11-24 02:28:47)

fabriciom wrote:

Are the converters in the ADI-8 Pro better then the ones in the AIO?

I'd hope so!  That box sold new for over $1000...

FWIW - The ADI-8 Pro and DS's AD/DA latency is more than "A Few samples".  The $$$$ QS is the one that has silly low latencies.

Here are the ADI-8 Pro Specs from RME:

Delay from A/D and D/A conversion depends on the chip being used, the ADI-8 PRO itself doesn't add any. Delay within converters is caused by the oversampling and subsequent digital filtering. AKM5392: 39 samples, AD1852: 43 samples.

http://www.rme-audio.de/old/english/techinfo/adi8.htm

Which basically doubles your 32 Sample ASIO buffer on an HDSP card (the ADI-8 Pro adds approx 2ms I/O).  This isn't a deal-breaker by any means - but a little more than "insignificant" IMO...

Apogee's Symphony low "Native latencies" are largely attributed to their very low AD/DA conversion Latency (on par with the ADI QS IIRC).  You can basically cut your round trip latencies in half by using 32-Sample ASIO buffers with an extremely low latency AD/DA converters.  Nothing to cry over (2ms here and there) - but quite possibly beneficial...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

To tell you the truth its very hard to notice the delay. I did notice a difference from the AIO but its nothing unbearable. What I'm still not satisfied with is that I hear clicks when I open a folder with movies in it. As the Mac grinds away opening the movies and show an image/icon for the file I hear clicks and pops. I will try to get my hands on a RayDat in the future..