Topic: Multiface + ADI 8DS, adat latency ?

Hi
I'm using a multiface and a ADI8DS, mixing through a DIY mixer. I have some phase issue between the output of the multiface and the ADI8. For exemple I have a snare on the out 1 / multiface, then the same snare (thru an aux send in cubase) processing a external comp from the out 1 / ADI, this set-up gives me phase issue.
But if I'm only going thru multiface or ADI outs, no problem. (Out 1 no comp and out 2 comp).
So I guess there's some latency in the ADAT processing ?
How can I calculate it ?

Thanks

Re: Multiface + ADI 8DS, adat latency ?

While ADAT does have some latency overhead, every different hardware converter will have slightly different latency based on the chips used and if you aren't converting with identical converters you will have phase issues between them. Just keep external processing for the same instrument on the same converter. Or if you must use two converters, figure out which one has the longest latency and then delay the shorter one to get the same.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

Thanks ! I found 18 samples of delay. It seems very small, but in this case, it's enough to cause that kind of problems.

sorry to revive this old thread, but this is becoming a problem here...

I have a Rosetta800, which I like how it sounds, connected to my FF800, which I also like. In Logic I have to set Recording Delay to +12 samples @44.1 to have the Rosetta recording in place, but then the FF800 is late, I have to set that value to 0 samples to get FF800 recording in time. I wonder if it's possible to solve this at the driver level, because this behavior is a mess. If you record a digital loopback via TotalMix it'll be earlly with a Recording Delay of 0 which is the "standard" setting for FF800,. SPdif also have this problem, so we have 4 different values... and I didn't measured my Multiface connected via ADAT, but I suspect it'll give a different value also...

At the moment I have FF800, Rosetta800 (via ADAT), Multiface (via ADAT), and a Kurzweil PC3 in the Spdif input, but all this delays mess is making me thinking about a different system. ¿can it be solved or not? I'm concerned about recording mainly, but being at that I'd want playback fixed too...

regards

Back to the possibility of RME adding a setting in the driver of "Report Digital Latency" (basically just the ASIO latency), or "Report Analog AD/DA latency" to the host (ASIO + AD/DA conversion latencies).

At least this way with the "Report Digital Latency" setting, you will never get a "negative" value (even with a fast Lynx/Apogee converter), and loopback recording wouldn't come back early, either.  Other users apparently use "per channel" VST Delays for this task when using external Analog Inserts and such with varying AD/DA converters (RME is usually the slowest converter, so the rest come back "early" as you say), but that sounds like going back to the pre-historic days of PT LE and its cumbersome manual delay compennsation mess (no thanks!).

This seems to be coming up a lot lately wink  Is RME listening?

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Not sure why this would help. The different delays needed for all the different hardware are still there. The correct way was and still is that Steinberg fixes their ping tool. Or expands ASIO to have more than one latency value indication.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Agreed, but assuming a negative delay would be required for an analog I/O loop does seem somewhat counter-intuitive from Steiney's view IMO.

The Loopback coming back early also requires some manual user intervention, and the ping tool would not help with a re-recorded loopback track.  At least if the RME Driver would report Digital latency (as a user selectable option), Loopback would be close to accurate (1 sample off IIRC due to the routing) and external Analog Loops would be able to be measured with the Steinberg ping tool with a positive offset.

A re-write of ASIO sounds good, but not likely to happen (and then the $$$ DAW upgrade fees for all users across all platforms).  So address the problem where it is somewhat accessible - at the driver.

Do other DAW Apps have this same issue when using "quicker" converters - or do they handle negative delays more gracefully?  Just curious if addressing this at the driver with a selectable option might benefit more than just Steinberg users?

Rock on!
cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Basically we are talking about a minority of users. How long does ASIO exist? How long do we signal the analog round time (which is the way to go for 99.9% of the users)? How many (or better few) complaints have come up in all the years? And how many trouble would we get adding such an option with all its problems? IMHO it's not worth it. Where is the ping tool outside of Steini? Are you aware that the change from one setting to the other requires you to exit the DAW, restart, ping again? I think you better start a petition to bother ALL DAW software companies to get their act together and react on these real-world problems (different latencies on different I/Os) in a user-comfortable way. And then again - who notices (not measures) these small deviations? :-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

And then again - who notices (not measures) these small deviations?

Those that use their ears with more complex setups involving multiple AD/DA's which must be aligned to avoid comb filtering wink  I believe every thread I've seen started on this topic begins with someone mentioning audible comb filtering as what brought the issue to light (not that the end-users are measuring and reporting based off the measurements alone).

I'm personally not affected by this exact issue as I use the MADI card (so no chance of my AD/DA signals coming back "early" that I'm aware of), but it would seem this might be a benefit to some more advanced users.  I know the Digiface/Multiface driver will obviously change what it reports based on which BOB is connected, so how much harder would it be to make this a user-definable setting (that defaults to Analog offsets for most user's needs) along with the "Lock Registry" and "Optimize Multiclient Operation" options on the HDSP panel's back page?

I do agree this issue does need to be addressed at a higher level (revised ASIO v3 or something similar).  But if a simple GUI add-on can solve the issue for a handful of customers (allowing positive ping offsets), then I don't see a huge drawback.

Either way, I'm still happy with all of my RME gear :-)

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Randyman... wrote:

Those that use their ears with more complex setups involving multiple AD/DA's which must be aligned to avoid comb filtering wink  I believe every thread I've seen started on this topic begins with someone mentioning audible comb filtering as what brought the issue to light

Yes, because somone puts the same signal on different converters, instead of keeping related signals within one converter.
fryingpan

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Some people won't have a choice (analog summing beyond 8 channels, multiple analog insert loops on a drum kit, etc).  Byeond that, the "faster" converter when used with an analog insert loop for parallel effects (parallel compression, etc) will ALWAYS exhibit comb filtering unless manually adjusted by the user by inserting cumbersome VST delays on the channels and doing manual calculations and tests to remedy the "negative offset" issue (opposed to being able to ping easily to get a positive offset).  There's obviosuly more than one way to look at this problem, and most of us work in less than ideal scenarios wink

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX