Topic: Fireface 800 Line inputs and A/D conversion

Hello!
I need some help. If somebody can help me was great.
My questions are:

1- Can i use the balanced line level inputs 1,2,3,4,5,6 (rear panel) with external mic preamps and the mic inputs 7,8,9,10 (front panel) to record ten channels at the same time at 24bits/192Khz?

2- Are all balanced line level inputs converted by the Fireface A/D converters?

3- Can i plug an external mic pre with a +28dBu of maximum output level in the balanced line level input 1 (for example) without overload problem?

Thanks for your time and help.
Sorry about my english.

Re: Fireface 800 Line inputs and A/D conversion

Doppler wrote:

1- Can i use the balanced line level inputs 1,2,3,4,5,6 (rear panel) with external mic preamps and the mic inputs 7,8,9,10 (front panel) to record ten channels at the same time at 24bits/192Khz?

Yes. 

You do need to set the correct inputs re.: "Front" or "Back" for inputs 7 and 8 in the Fireface "Settings", but from what you wrote, you understand this.  For that many channels with a 192 kHz. sample rate, you should probably be connecting your Fireface to your computer with a Firewire 800 connection.

Doppler wrote:

2- Are all balanced line level inputs converted by the Fireface A/D converters?

Yes. 

With the Fireface 800, you have ten channels of Analog to Digital conversion.

Doppler wrote:

3- Can i plug an external mic pre with a +28dBu of maximum output level in the balanced line level input 1 (for example) without overload problem?

Yes, however...,

Just because your pre-amp has a rated max. output of +28 dBu, doesn't mean that it will be outputting that level all the time.  You have some sort of gain adjustment on the pre-amp - usually some sort of rotary knob - which you will adjust to suit what you are recording, so that an appropriate level is sent to the Fireface.  You have a choice of three levels of input sensitivity with the Fireface:  Lo Gain, where you will have a maximum input level of +19 dBu before clipping; +4 dBu, where you will have a maximum of +13 dBu, and -10 dBV, where you have a maximum of +2 dBV.  For your pre-amp, I'd choose the +4 dBu setting and be done with it.

Then, all you have to do is open up your DAW software, or TotalMix, and watch the level meters for each channel as you adjust the pre-amp gain knobs while your sound sources are performing a soundcheck.  I'd recommend that you set things so that most of the time, your levels are hovering around -20 dBFS, so you have lots of headroom for unexpected peaks.  If you wish, you can always raise the level later in your DAW or in dedicated mastering software.  With 24 bit recording (and 32, or even 64 bit internal DAW processing), you won't encounter any significant sonic compromises from adopting this approach.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

3 (edited by Doppler 2010-11-23 03:06:17)

Hello Frank!
Thank you for your answer but i am still confused smile
I understand what you said but...the preamp that i was talking about is a FMR RNP8380 and....if i have recording a kick (with a Beta52) or snare (with a SM57) of a metal band for example (the drummers usualy play hard) adjusting the gain input a little before the input overload is not possible overloaded the line input in the FireFace?
Excuse my insistence.

Regards

4 (edited by dialing_wand 2010-11-23 15:06:46)

This is a common issue, and not just with the fireface.

The only solution is to pad the output of your pre-amp if you're running it that hot. It's not uncommon to run an API 3124 to near-clipping to get that "API" sound for something like drums, but few converters can accept such hot signals. Occasionally (and really only occasionally) you want the "sound" of pre-amps running at their limit.

So an in-line pad (or a set) is very useful in these cases. Alternatives are solutions like the the a-designs level controllers (http://adesignsaudio.com/atty2d.html).

However, Frank's's advice remains important. Headroom is there just for that reason - best to maintain it!

While I might run the fireface at a +19 setting (I can never remember the high-gain/lo-gain terminology) in your case. In fact, since most of my own work is audio for post the +19 setting is the best match I can get to the -20dBFS reference level of all my production audio equipment. I use the same settings if I happen to be at work tracking with a quality analog pre-amp (especially older british designs.)

I use -12dB pads on most of my Drum Preamps' OUTPUTS into the AD for just that reason.  Nothing like API (or a clone equivalent) running hot! big_smile

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me wink

Regards

What Manufacturer of Pads would you recommend? I guess a pad with a Jack-Output (for the line inputs on the backside of the fireface) is hard to find?

I just tried to record a snare drum with an api 512c and the output was way too hot for my fireface 800 (set to +4 dBu).

8 (edited by redlogic 2011-05-16 04:16:56)

Whirlwind makes some.

Google found more.

Macmini '19 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo