Topic: UFX, S/PDIF & Clock

Hi,

I would like to connect a playback device to the FF UFX.
This device has only S/PDIF output (no input, can't be slave), so I have to set UFX's Clock Source to AES.

My question is: If setting UFX's clock source to a less-accurate clock, does it affect UFX's working clock and audio quality?
Or UFX will keep using its internal clock and not be affected by incoming clock accuracy (is that the SteadyClock feature?).

Thanks for clarification.

Re: UFX, S/PDIF & Clock

Steadyclock will reduce jitter, if necessary. But the UFX can not run on internal clock with an external device like this connected.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Moshiko 2010-12-16 12:00:54)

Thanks for the prompt reply Daniel.

SteadyClock Tech Info wrote:

... completely independent from the kind and quality of the used reference clock. The cleaned and jitter-freed clock signal can be used as reference clock in any application. And the quality of the external (input) clock doesn't matter anymore.

So is it okay to leave that device connected all the time, or it will be better if I connect this device only when recording from it and unplug it when it's not in use (so UFX will use it's own clock)?

In the interest of your electricity bill and the environment, switch the device off while not in use...  cool
The clock quality of the UFX does not suffer if the other unit is connected, though.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

That's great.
Thanks Daniel :-)