1 (edited by ramses 2019-09-02 09:26:51)

Topic: TM 1.12 doesn't restore workspace properly (level of main)

I am using UFX and RayDAT in the same system, all works really great, only 2 issues where I hope you can support me on that.

I created a new TM window and am controlling UFX in one and RayDAT in the other TM window.
I configured TM to "always init DSP devices with TM settings" (for both interfaces).
After configuring the routing and everything I finalized by storing the settings for both devices:
- in a snapshot (right hand side, one of the 8 slots)
- via File -> Save Snapshot as (uniqe filename per device)
- via File -> Save Workspace as (unique filename per device)
- via Workspace Quick Select, slot 1 for UFX, slot 2 for RayDAT

2 Problems now:
- TM doesnt remember the workspace layout and I need to manually load a workspace via "Workspace Quick Select".
  It would be good, if one of these workspaces could be set as default
- After restoring the settings via "Workspace Quick Select" the level of the Master Output fader for the RayDAT in the
  second instance of TotalMix is not like I saved it. I wanted to have 0dB, but it is set to -10dB

Could you kindly give me a hint how to fix #2 ?
If you could think about implementing #1 would be a great thing towards user friendliness.
Thanks a lot upfront !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Re: TM 1.12 doesn't restore workspace properly (level of main)

I have no problem to do all this. It seem to me you misunderstood the Workspace operation in the first place - a Workspace covers anything, including all devices, and there is no reason to save one workspace for each device. Also, when shutting down Windows with two windows open TM FX will restart with two windows. Obviously it won't if you close one of them before the shutdown, as it always restarts in the last state before exit.

For the -10 dB: disable ' Do not load Main volume' in Preferences.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2015-09-08 07:33:20)

Hi Matthias,

1) for the workspaces I was not 100% sure, so I started to store 2 slots, 1 per TM instances.
But you are right, at the end also my observation, it restores the whole setup (2 TM instances),
not matter which I take. Ok, will remove the not required one, makes things easier.

Add-on question in this context: Would it perhaps be possible for you in TM to remember the last workspace selection ? Would save a click to enter File->Workspace Quick Select menue.

The rest I need to test now.. Thanks for your suggestions.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Add-on question in this context: Would it perhaps be possible for you in TM to remember the last workspace selection ? Would save a click to enter File->Workspace Quick Select menue.

?????

Hotkey W (saves two clicks) - and the last selected one is preselected on my machine.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

[...]
Also, when shutting down Windows with two windows open TM FX will restart with two windows. Obviously it won't if you close one of them before the shutdown, as it always restarts in the last state before exit.
[...]
For the -10 dB: disable ' Do not load Main volume' in Preferences.
[...]

1) doesnt work for me

Steps: Windows 7 SP1
- I restorted workspace, all proper, 2 instances of TM open (one for UFX, one for RayDAT)
- I restart windows (at this time the 2 TM instances were still open
- After login I click to the TM icon
- Only one Window for the UFX becomes restored

Ideal would be, IMHO, if it would restore the last active workspace
or if not workspace at least last settings and window positions which should be equal to restoring the workspace
as I choosed option "Always init DSP devices with settings from TM".

2) works, thanks :-)

MC wrote:
ramses wrote:

?????

Hotkey W (saves two clicks) - and the last selected one is preselected on my machine.

Well you are used to use the hotkeys, I always use the mouse.
Simply got the idea, as also other applications save the last entries in such a "last used" area of a pulldown menue between reboots. If you do not like this idea, ok. Thought it would give a brilliant application even more add-on functionality.

More and more question marks...

If your 2 window state is not saved on shutdown - are you sure other settings in TM FX are still the same after reboot? Maybe that is a global problem on your machine.

The menu that you seem to want is present. It requires you to load the workspace via Load Workspace, then it will be listed. As 'other applications' do it. That menu is not there for the Quick Selection dialog, which would just screw it up.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

More and more question marks...

If your 2 window state is not saved on shutdown - are you sure other settings in TM FX are still the same after reboot? Maybe that is a global problem on your machine.

The menu that you seem to want is present. It requires you to load the workspace via Load Workspace, then it will be listed. As 'other applications' do it. That menu is not there for the Quick Selection dialog, which would just screw it up.

To 1) The routing, Description of Faders, etc is there, yes I am pretty confident that all is there

To 2) the history of selected workspaces is there once you select a workspace.
But after reboot this history is not filled anymore

When I had only the UFX (before adding the RayDAT), I also experienced, that the fader values for the Monitors A and B didnt restore exactly like as they were saved. Also if I linked the faders of Monitor A and B to always be on the same value, i.e. -25 dB, then after reboot they were no the same.

Could it be the case that there is a little bug there ?

The installation of Windows 7 on my machine is new as Acronis sucked after Win10 upgrade, couldnt restore anymore.
So I had to reinstall everything newly based on Win7 SP1 CD ... this is no rocket science for me.

If this is maybe important to this topic, my normal user "andreas" has no admin rights, its for security reasons a normal ordinary user without the admin bit.

Ob der aktuelle Zustand korrekt beim Beenden gespeichert wird lässt sich ganz einfach testen: bestimmte Fader auf bestimmte, einfach zu merkende Werte verstellen, nix speichern sondern gleich neu booten, schauen ob sie immer noch da stehen.

Für mich klingt das doch nach einem grundsätzlichen Problem, dass der letzte Zustand nicht wie es sein sollte in die Datei geschrieben wird, die beim Laden wieder gelesen wird. Siehe User TM FX Verzeichnis. Es könnte natürlich auch ein Nutzerkonten-Problem sein - in TM FX gibt es dafür extra eine Einstellung All Users und Current User, siehe aktuelles Handbuch. Bei mir funktioniert das alles korrekt auch mit zwei Geräten.

Auch das Verschwinden der Einträge in der Recent File List kann ich nicht nachvollziehen. Das sind Einträge die in der Registry abgelegt werden, zu finden unter

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RME\TotalMix FX\Recent File List

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Könnte Norton Internet Security da reinpfuschen ?

Ich werde die von Dir erwähnten Sachen nochmal durchchecken müssen,  kann nur ein bisschen dauern, denn ich habe noch ein paar andere Baustellen.

Vielleicht installiere ich Windows noch mal neu, muss ich eh aus bestimmten Gründen nochmal machen.
Dann kann ich alles von Grund auf durchchecken (mit admin rights, ohne norton, ohne Admin rights, mit norton, ...).

Auf jeden Fall vielen Dank für die schnelle Reaktion und die Infos, wo ich dann noch zu schauen hätte.

Ist glücklicherweise nichts, was fürchterlich lästig ist, wollte es halt nur wegbekommen wink

Ich würde eine DAW immer als Admin aufsetzen. Ansonsten hat man doch nur irgendwo Stress wo man ihn nicht erwartet, oder gerade nicht gebrauchen kann...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME