1 (edited by bboxrender 2016-03-01 14:31:21)

Topic: clics and noises using word synch on Hdspe AIO / Fireface400 in 24/96

Hi there RME users and admins !

First time here for me even tho i am a RME user since at least 8 years. Pls excuse my incorrect English not my native language.

I have set up a new configuration latetly to be able to mix a new project on 12 separate outputs into a summing mixer. I love it compared to ITB mixing.
My problem is that i followed everything both in AIO manual and Fireface manual to set my synchro between the 2 interfaces but i can still hear very annoying randoms clics thru my speaker.

I purchased the 4 outputs extension + wordclock card for the AIO and connect the AIO master wordclock thru a 75ohms cable to the wordclock input of my slaved FIREFACE400.
I did the same with SPDIF coax out from AIO into spdif coax in on the FF400,
and i did the same with ADAT optical out from AIO into ADAT optical in of the Fireface400.

All good, the input status on the Fireface 400 reads SYNC for both Word and SPDIF and it blinks SYNC/LOCK for ADAT.

Also on the SPDIF input line of the FF400 i can read 96000 HZ;

So, can someone  please explain to me what is wrong here? Why do i hear clics?
When i open both TotalMix (the AIO one on PC and the FF400 one controlled by laptop) i can see that the clics are sent by the AIO via ADAT1/2 and ADAT3/4 to the same ADAT input on the FF400.

Please help if you can, i have so much mixes to do and i am blocked at the moment.

Thank you

edit: my buffer and sample rate settings are exactly the same on both cards

2 (edited by vinark 2016-03-01 15:21:52)

Re: clics and noises using word synch on Hdspe AIO / Fireface400 in 24/96

Blinking sync/lock is not ok and indicates an issue there. Try to keep it simple. One cable is enough for the sync between 2 machines. So the adat can carry the sync and the signal and is just as good as word clock if not better. Can you explain what outputs you are trying to use? I guess AIO plus output board and Fireface with adat? If yes set AIO as master connect only one adat to fireface. Set Fireface to slave to adat. And that is it.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thanks for the input!
I am using AIO out :
6 Analogue + 2SPDIF+4ADAT at 96000hz
Fireface is converting to analogue the 2 SPDIF and 4 ADAT + 2 mirrored output used to trigger some side chain or headphone monitoring.
I am planning to add a 24/96 converter as well using the free AESEBU out from AIO...
Damm so according to you I purchased the clockword card for nothing??
Since my first post I tweaked and re tight all my connections at the rear of the PC and the clics have reduced a lot but still there from time to time.
I guess then it's only a bad connection problem...
The casing of my PC is in the way, so the optical
and BNC are not properly fitting there plugs.
I am unscrewing those cards at the moment to find a custom solution.
Can you explain why ADAT
Sync should be chosen over the Word clock?

First, Adat is optical so no impedance and termination issues to cause problems.
Second and I hope I remember it correctly (but adat preferred I am sure), for WC to be usable it must be multiplied while adat is the correct rate immediately. So possibly a little less jitter, depending on the used devices. Please correct me when I am wrong RME....
Third when adat is used anyway, for audio, it is much simpler to set up. And while I am no theoretical expert, I have been connecting digital devices for years without issues. Currently a HDSP9652 with all adat ports used with an ADI8 as master.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Is that one computer or two? Is that Windows or Mac?

You wrote only ADAT flashes. That points to two things: broken optical cables, or the FF 400 not set to the correct sample rate. It doesn't sync from alone, it must be set to 96 kHz actively by a software.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by bboxrender 2016-03-02 23:01:34)

Thanks for your answers.
I am using only one main computer PC Win 7 64.
The second computer only manage the total mix for the FF400 .
All buffer and sample rates are match on both.
I have doubled check my connections (WC ADAT and COAX) and the clicks have somehow disappeared except for one click sometimes still happening. .. I would say one every 2 or 3 minutes.
I have set the WC as sync. According to what you say my WC is maybe not terminated? There is a push button on the AIO WC card so maybe I should engage this?
When I first post I had clicks non stop so my situation improve a lot since I recheck all the connections and the sync input state on the FF400 has stop to blink
But still even one click now and then is not acceptable cause the moment I am gonna print my mix this click is gonna occur for sure! Do you have a link about how to terminate a WC?  I found nothing about that on RME site  ....

Edit: I just read in the AIO manual about the Word clock out setting To be single speed or not. My current setting is single speed on ... so maybe that is wrong cause I am working at 96000?
I try to untick that on  the 2 cards and see how it goes.

OMG still trying WC? Makes me wonder why I even type this. ;-). If you try adat sync and it works,you at least know WC has an issue. If adat has the same clicks you know it is something different.

Cheers!
Vincent

Vincent, Amsterdam