Topic: HDSP 9632 - More Analog I/O's needed for 2nd monitor (suggestions)

Hi again Guys,

Getting on my feet now with new HDSP 9632.  I want to get cleanest signal from Outputs direct to Monitors.  But only having one pair of Analog Out I'm stuck when A/Bing on 2nd Monitors.  I was using a Mackie 1202 to split out the signal but I fear its getting too coloured this way.

I want to add a "Passive" monitor control instead but still need another Analog out to do so.  Now having so many Digital outs, I'm trying to think of best way to convert the SPdif out (for example) to Analog.  One idea being a "Swisssonic Convertor"
https://www.thomann.de/ie/swissonic_con … _24_96.htm

I do use the Headphone Outs directly at the moment too, so  I'm a bit stuck.

Is this a decent idea or are there better setups possible here in someway I have not thought off?  (I guess I could but a better converter but not too expensive)

What do you do?

Re: HDSP 9632 - More Analog I/O's needed for 2nd monitor (suggestions)

Expand the card with this expansion board giving you 4 more servosymmetric outputs:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_ao4s192_aio.htm

There exist 2 types of this card. The older card without "AIO" at the end can only be used for the 9632.
The newer card which you will find in shops with the "AIO" at the end can be used for both, 9632 and HDSPe AIO.

Alternatively you can use a high quality monitor controller like this one here, but its more expensive compared to the RME expansion card: https://www.thomann.de/de/spl_2control_ … l_253570_0

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Actually looking closer into this now I see the Mackie Big Knob PASSIVE seems to allow 1 source (Pair) be split into 2 Output (pairs).

Its "Passive" un-powered unit but might you know if splitting the signal on such passive devices have any degradation on sound quality?.  I don't want the colour of the powered Mackie1202 or anything powered I guess...

> if splitting the signal on such passive devices have any degradation on sound

Therefore I recommended the SPL as I saw this unit at somebody who is recording engineer and had such
an animal behind his RME UC.

Better try it out on your own and listen.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have another idea ... it appears to me, that even the HDSP 9632 card got a driver update to TotalMix FX.
Which simply means the newest TotalMix software (but without the FX chip on board).
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/windo … er_4_d.pdf

This information plus the information from ARC USB handbook, that the ARC USB can be used
for all RME interfaces supporting TotalMix FX,
it appears to me, that you might be able to use the ARC USB (connected to computer) together with 9632.

In this case I would recommend you to buy the expansion board together with the ARC USB
- https://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_ao4s192_aio.htm €157
- https://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_arc_usb.h … B_402467_0 € 161

Then you can use all of TotalMix FX included monitor controller functionality.
Switch between 2 pair (or even 3) of Monitors and headphones.
Dim, Mute, etc ...

That would be the most flexible solution for you without having to worry too much about signal loss.

Needs only a confirmation by RME, that ARC USB supports the 9632 ...

Thanks again Ramses.  Very helpful but I had checked the ARC before getting the card.  Its not compatible with 9632.

I'll investigate the Passive controllers.  Its probs the best route/price for me.

The ARC USB is fully compatible to anything that uses TotalMix FX - and that includes the HDSP9632. That's also why ramses presented this idea.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh really?   I thought I saw a Sonicstate video or something saying it wasn't but thats good to know.

Thanks again

9 (edited by ramses 2017-02-04 11:26:54)

Oh this is really sweet Matthias !!! So ** BIG thanks ** again for your RME initiative (TotalMix FX 4 ALL)
to backport the new "TotalMix FX" software for even older RME devices.

This is a really good example for telling people, that buying a RME device also has the advantage in terms of more sustainability and value for the spend money, as RME instantly surprises customer with adding new features
for just bought and even older hardware.

BTW .. I think that most people are not aware of, that the new "ARC USB" will support now a large number of RME devices
for which in the past no Remote Control support was ever planned,
simply by plugging it to an USB port on PC and requiring solely a "TotalMix FX" capable RME device.

I propose RME should communicate this clearer, because otherwise I fear that too few customers become aware of
this "little add-on luxury".  Maybe you could add to the product descriptions on web the following information:
"ARC USB support via TotalMix FX/PC USB port" in the area where you summarize i/o ports and optional HW.

We started at NAMM to announce the real capabilities of the ARC USB. They are also fully clear from the now available webpage, the ARC USB manual and upcoming special advertisements.

To answer an obvious question: The ARC USB was introduced Musikmesse Frankfurt last year as accessory for the UFX+. We did not disclose its full potential at that time as it would have caused a flood of requests about its availablilty. There are more than hundreds of thousand potential users for this remote world-wide! And we did not know exactly when it will start shipping. Even worse, the shipping date often is delayed - as was the case here again.

But now production is in full swing, the first samples work perfectly, so we disclose the truth - that some clever guys in this forum were right about its global usage already ín the beginning, by simply looking at the facts (USB - TotalMix FX - lightbulb).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by ramses 2017-02-04 13:42:14)

Excellent job @RME smile