1 (edited by Edward 2017-03-21 23:00:46)

Topic: ADI-2 Pro - quick presales questions if I may?

Hi there

I'm currently considering my options in respect of a DAC and a preamp.  This is for a home environment using high end power amps and speakers. Currently not using headphones much - but that is on my 'todo' list.

I did a quick search in the Pro music field and not surprisingly came across the ADI-2 Pro quite quickly. So I skimmed the very informative 88 page manual so have a fair idea of what is what.  But just wanted to double check if the ADI-2 Pro will work in my set up.  Hope someone can give me confirmation (or not) that things will work.

1. Will the volume control work on the analogue outputs when I have digital and analogue mixed inputs? For example USB input (for PCM/DSD) and line level analogue input?

2. Can I trim the sensitivity on the analogue inputs to match the digital inputs?  or vice versa?

3. I have two power amps (via a high quality relay switch box).  Can I output two identical feeds from the ADI-2 Pro (with volume control - as per first question).

Thanks
Edward

London, UK

I hope I posted in the correct section - please move if not.

Re: ADI-2 Pro - quick presales questions if I may?

1. The volume control always works separately for both analog outputs.
2. Obviously, by changing the rel level and the Trim Gain function.
3. Of course.

Still your questions throw up question marks as you talk about mixed, and I am not sure that the unit will do what you expect (no mixer...). Maybe give an application example so it gets more clear why you could have a digital and analog input simultaneously?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias for responding.

Sorry I used the word mixed in an incorrect way.  I do not mean that the signals would be mixed, just that I would have a digital input to the ADI-2 Pro (for PCM/dsd etc) and also line input (say from a turntable/phono stage) but of course not both incoming signals being relevant at the same time. I assume that each input can be switched?

Or is it the case (and picking up on your answer 1 about each analog output having separate volume control) that it is possible to have two different incoming signals (be they analog or digital) and each can be switched to either analog output? Effectively having two preamps in one unit?  If so - awesome!

Another use case would be to have two digital inputs (e.g. USB and SPDIF from a CD transport) and an analog line level.

regards
Edward

You can switch and even play back two different sources. That's what the two DACs are for...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks for the clarifications Matthias.

I got confused when reading that Preamp mode is automatically enabled when no digital signal and no USB is detected. This led me to believe that analog input is not compatible with digital input in some way.

So to recap for my full understanding.  smile It is possible to have any input (analog or digital) to be routed to any output (analog or digital). Furthermore (as there are two DAC units) it is possible to have two independent stereo signals being routed through the ADI-2 Pro with the added feature of each analog output having independent volume controls. Lastly it is possible to have one input routed equally to two outputs.

So assuming my understanding is correct I will now seriously consider purchasing the ADI-2 Pro (which in my case is Synthax Audio in St Albans).  I'm not so far from them, hopefully they can demonstrate the ADI-2 Pro.

Wish list:  Remote control of some sort!  tongue

regards
Edward

It's in the 88 page manual. You manually use AD/DA mode, then can select any source individually for both analog outputs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME