1 (edited by kroejekt 2013-05-27 11:54:07)

Topic: Fireface UC/TotalMix: Routing for REW (Room EQ Wizard) to measure room

I want to measure my room with the software REW (Room EQ Wizard). I searched the net for hours and hours, but couldn’t come up with a solution. I have a Fireface UC on Win7 64bit, and a Behringer ECM8000 microphone as well as Adam A77X. I cannot keep REW from sending the mic’s input to the output of speakers; this creates strange phase issues with the measurement, as described in the REW help file.

Routing: In TotalMix, for Mic1/2 phantom power is on, preamp gain is around 20. I route this hardware input to AN1/2 (which are the Mains on the right bottom corner of TotalMix). Though it is muted (blue M button), and the level fader for AN1/2 is at -infinity (to my understanding, the mic should therefore NOT be routed to the mains).

On Win7, my default playback device is „Speakers Fireface UC“. The default recording device is „Analog 1/2 Fireface UC“, which seems to pick up sound just fine (even in my DAW).

In the room measurement software (REW – Room EQ Wizard), the input and output are set accordingly. I can hear the sine sweep playing, and the Mic picks up the signal, but first of all it’s not loud enough (didn’t properly calibrate the software) and second of all (the main problem) is that the mic’s input is played through the speakers as well, which shouldn’t be happening.

Can anyone with a similar set-up explain to me, why the routing is directly to the speakers instead of just to the PC? Thank you all for the help.

Re: Fireface UC/TotalMix: Routing for REW (Room EQ Wizard) to measure room

A screen shot of your Totalmix could help - but to me it sounds like you should not be routing the hardware AN1 &2 to the mains but instead route the software output (row 2 of totalmix) there

Definitely sounds like a routing issue.

You should be picking up the mic input into REW from the hardware inputs. The mic shouldn't be routed anywhere!

What are the inputs and outputs of REW set to?

I would make it something other than 1 and 2.

Isaac P

kroejekt wrote:

I want to measure my room with the software REW (Room EQ Wizard). I searched the net for hours and hours, but couldn’t come up with a solution. I have a Fireface UC on Win7 64bit, and a Behringer ECM8000 microphone as well as Adam A77X. I cannot keep REW from sending the mic’s input to the output of speakers; this creates strange phase issues with the measurement, as described in the REW help file.

Routing: In TotalMix, for Mic1/2 phantom power is on, preamp gain is around 20. I route this hardware input to AN1/2 (which are the Mains on the right bottom corner of TotalMix). Though it is muted (blue M button), and the level fader for AN1/2 is at -infinity (to my understanding, the mic should therefore NOT be routed to the mains).

On Win7, my default playback device is „Speakers Fireface UC“. The default recording device is „Analog 1/2 Fireface UC“, which seems to pick up sound just fine (even in my DAW).

In the room measurement software (REW – Room EQ Wizard), the input and output are set accordingly. I can hear the sine sweep playing, and the Mic picks up the signal, but first of all it’s not loud enough (didn’t properly calibrate the software) and second of all (the main problem) is that the mic’s input is played through the speakers as well, which shouldn’t be happening.

Can anyone with a similar set-up explain to me, why the routing is directly to the speakers instead of just to the PC? Thank you all for the help.

4 (edited by kroejekt 2013-05-29 08:49:14)

Thank you for your suggestions.

I will make sure that the Mic is routed only to PH7/8 or something. I am confused: even though hardware input AN1/2 is sent to main, the level fader is at -infinity, and according to my understanding, it should therefore NOT send a signal to output AN1/2 directly?

I will try out your suggestions. I will see if i can provide a screenshot.

for everyone with the same problem, I found the solutions to both problems:

first problem: "I got an SPL measurement which approximates the one on the following page under "5. If the measurement looks like this:", on the middle of the page: Calibrating the Soundcard"
solution: the feedback button on the main outs was ON (check the fireface manual), which is useful for calibrating the soundcard, but NOT for taking measurements. turn the feedback button OFF for measurements.

second problem: REW shows a message like "Level too low" (cant' remember the exact wording), i.e. there is no signal through the mic when measuring.
solution: since my mic in connected to Line In 1 on the fireface UC (the leftmost front port for the balanced mic), I had to select the LEFT input channel in the REW preferences (right above the area for calibrating the sound card). The default input channel in REW preferences after installing seems to be the right input channel. FYI, Line In 1 in TotalMix may stay mono (but seems to be the left channel), just make sure phantom power is on. problem solved.

hope that helps anyone. cheers

Hi there, I'm attempting to measure my room with Room  EQ Wizard!

I have a Neumann U87 plumbed into mic input 9 on the UFX (Phantom Power is on)

I can only get input into Room eq wizard when 'loopback' in enabled on the master channel of TotalMix.

How do I route totalmix so that I can get the output of the mic into Room eq wizard to run the test?

OSX 10.11.6
RME FF802
Behringer 8000 Mic

With Room EQ Wizard I been pulling my hair out. No matter what I do I can not get a level from the Mic input. No issue sending out noise but for the life of me nothing works.
In Total Mix I can easily see a level on the mic so this is not the issue and I can naturally route this to any output I wish. However in Room EQ Wizard nothing for input. Even tried Line In App, Sunflower, etc.
Anyone please if you have advice. Not much measuring I can do at the moment and its just making me nuts.

Best Regards,
Shamus

You shouldn't need Soundflower or Line In. But I've had occasional trouble with REW too. And that COULD be related to Java, as it is a Java app. Sometimes it doesn't pick up inputs. I've never found out why exactly, and, quite frankly, I've given up on Java apps.

That's why I've been using Fuzz Measure and ARTA (with Wine, as it is a Windows app).

Especially Fuzz Measure is nice and looks good. It doesn't hold your hand, like REW does, but for most measurements it's faster. And even the demo version will do for most occasional use.

http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/fuzzmeasure/

ARTA is on another level. It goes way beyond the likes of REW and Fuzz Measure. It's a competitor to SMAART, but without the price level. If your ambitions in acoustic measurement are professional, you should check it out.

http://www.artalabs.hr/

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Hello, friends. I am having the same difficulty getting my routing managed correctly in Room EQ Wizard with my UFX. I've followed the instructions of tutorials, I've searched online for answers but nothing definitively helping me get these measurements done. I am using a Macbook Pro (2012) running OS X Yosemite.

First of all, my initial calibration looked something like this--a totally flat line. Could that be correct?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/dlapel/Screen%20Shot%202017-01-03%20at%202.18.14%20PM_zpsbrxsrhaa.png

I had all the hardware input faders on the top row set to -infinity. I had the software playback 1&2 set to unity, as well as the Main output 1 & 2 at unity with loopback button engaged. This seems like a strange reading to me, but then again it could be that the UFX is that awesome??

Looking at the Room EQ Wizard's preferences I am not able to specify outputs and inputs, just "Fireface." In fact, the output channel automatically gets set to "Both" even if after I select "Left" or "Right." Others facing similar situations appear to have been able to set the drivers to ASIO, based on my research. Anyhow, so when proceeding to check levels I disable the "Loopback" on the Main Output channel on the bottom right corner. I follow instructions to measure SPL levels, but when adjusting the input levels in Room EQ Wizard I cannot get up to -18 dBFS--in fact the highest I can get on the Left Channel is around -42 dBFS. Please look at the screenshots below and I would appreciate if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/dlapel/Screen%20Shot%202017-01-03%20at%202.07.57%20PM_zps7rko4k1h.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/dlapel/Screen%20Shot%202017-01-03%20at%202.07.07%20PM%202_zpsehc2bbie.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/dlapel/Screen%20Shot%202017-01-03%20at%202.08.56%20PM_zpsud9pofmg.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/dlapel/Screen%20Shot%202017-01-03%20at%202.08.56%20PM%202_zpsr7rqb6ef.png

Thank you for your help!

10 (edited by ramses 2017-01-04 09:09:03)

Don't understand your problems. Maybe you have still problems with TMFX routing in submix mode ...

And also in terms of REW software. Under Preferences TAB: soundcard you can easily choose
- ASIO device: choose proper RME driver
Then you have pulldown menues to select proper input:
- for me it was analog 9, the 1st mic input
And output goes to the monitors
- Analog 1 / 2

In TMFX all you need to do is in "SUBMIX MODE".
1. Assign channels to Main Out if not yet done, typically analog 1/2 or where you connect your monitors.
2. Click on the Main Output fader in the control room section
3. Now raise the fader on the Software Playback channel, where the REW SW sends its output signal.

Via the Micro input the REW software gets the measuring results.

Thats more or less from memory what you need to do.

If you are not firm with TMFX, then look these videos:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

^^I guess you never noticed he was on a Mac so ASIO does not fully apply.

Same issue I been having for a dogs age on the Mac.
I gave up, and it really pisses me off there is no real working solution to measure with out spending great cash on more advanced measurement software.

Perhaps there is still some obvious missing parameter on the Mac but even with REQ 5.19 I have yet to be able to get the mic routed.

Should be simple:
Choose input,
Channel,
output,
channel.

Or use default device.
In Audio/MIDI setup I can not set the channel so that does not work either.
Tried soundflower, but that is just pointless.

FWIW: I use both REW and FuzzMeasure on Mavericks with a FF400 and some measurement mics. No problem whatsoever.

Worse, I can't imagine what you're doing wrong.

With REW, the Java version could be a problem. I've had problems with that combo in the past, albeit never routing problems...

It's one of the reasons I'm not updating OSX atm.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

cyrano wrote:

FWIW: I use both REW and FuzzMeasure on Mavericks with a FF400 and some measurement mics. No problem whatsoever.

Worse, I can't imagine what you're doing wrong.

With REW, the Java version could be a problem. I've had problems with that combo in the past, albeit never routing problems...

It's one of the reasons I'm not updating OSX atm.

10.12.3 here but not done the latest update to 12.4.
With the exception of this issue I wouldn't be using the older version of OSX. There is a lot in my case to gain. However I am pretty sure I had this working back in Mavericks also on my other MBP. Who knows though that could have been the FF800.