Topic: UCX + UC buying advice needed

I got an UCX and been thinking I should buy a used UC and hook it up via ADAT. Basically using the UC as a ADAT expansion to my UCX.

1. Is that a viable setup?

2. In 24 bit 48kHz I'm getting 8 out and 8 in via ADAT right? Or are there any specific restrictions with the UCX and UC?

3. What happens if I connect both via USB to my Windows 10 computer? Can I use TotalMix with both? Like switch between them to set routing? Or does this only work if I have two UCX?

Fireface UCXII & UCX , MacBook Pro m1, MacOS Sonoma

Re: UCX + UC buying advice needed

For what inputs and outputs do you need an expansion ?

You can connect both, open a new TM instance and select the 2nd interface in the new instance.
Number of opened instances and Window positions will also be saved by TM.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ok, nice that TotalMix works like that with multiple RME units.

For what inputs/outputs I need an expansion? As much as possible at 24bit 48kHz would be nice.. But if it boils down to some limitations of ADAT between the two units I would prioritize getting 8 additional analog inputs more then outputs.

LarsErik wrote:

Ok, nice that TotalMix works like that with multiple RME units.

For what inputs/outputs I need an expansion? As much as possible at 24bit 48kHz would be nice.. But if it boils down to some limitations of ADAT between the two units I would prioritize getting 8 additional analog inputs more then outputs.

You better should invest in that one: https://www.rme-audio.de/products/octamic_2.php
That's rme's oktamic II. You would have 8 more channels via adat lightpipe then, complete with AD-conversion, at a one hight unit, so with your ucx u get a small case with 2 Units and space for breakout-Solutions.

I often use this package (i got an ufx) as a digital live-mixing solution. Works great!

Mathias

Is UFX+ and MADI eventually an option for you ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by LarsErik 2019-06-29 14:47:19)

It boils down to money, I can’t afford the rme hardware I want. smile

Currently I’m aiming for an UFX to use in combination with my UCX.