Topic: Fireface 800 stopped to show up in Control Panel -> Sound

Hello,

Yesterday my RME Fireface 800 disappeared from Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback/Recording. It means I can't listen to windows apps through my main soundcard. The other cards (Virus TI, and Realtek HDA which is turned off) shows and works OK. The card WORKS OK under ASIO mode. The "Fireface settings" window works also. I can change the sample rate, phantom power, etc. The TotalMix shows inputs and outputs with corresponding signals (=dB). I can use the TotalMix window (sliders, etc.). The MIDI Control of TotalMix works also. MIDI I/O ports works as well and are visible from the DAW.

The Device Manager displays RME Fireface without any error or warning and says that "This device is working properly".

I tried to reinstall the driver (installing the driver over the current installation as well as deinstalling "RME Fireface" and "Pakiet sterowników systemu Windows - RME Fireface (06/09/2015 3.1.15.0)" (translates to something like "Bundle/Package of Windows drivers - RME..."), then reboot, clean install, reboot), nothing changed.

I removed the VIA FW controller and replaced it with Texas Instruments FW controller, nothing changed (except for TI driver installation of course).

I turned off the Virus TI, plugged it off, nothing changed (except for Virus disappear of course).

I did a lot of reboots, with turning off the card, whole computer, etc., nothing changed.

My Fireface settings about screen says I'm using driver dated 09.06.15, version 3.115 on hardware revision 2.77.

The card works OK on Mac at first glance.

I use 64-bit Windows 7 on the PC. (i5 @ 3.3, 16 GB RAM, etc.)

TIA for any help!

Re: Fireface 800 stopped to show up in Control Panel -> Sound

Please check the number of active WDM devices in the settings dialog.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks!! smile

There was zero accidentally. I've never used this setting before and didn't know about it. Greetings!

4 (edited by dspent 2015-08-07 20:11:07)

I'm getting the same issue.  The RME Fireface 800 shows in the Windows 10 device manager.  It says its working properly.  In my DAW I can select the fireface ASIO as my interface.  I play tracks and everything is fine there.  However in Windows Control Panel - Sound, under the playback tab it doesn't list the fireface or any of its outputs there.

Thus I can not route windows audio out through the interface which I do from time to time for various reasons.

I looked at the WDM Devices setting you mention and it says 0 but I don't know what that means and changing it seems to have no affect.

By the way this just happened "for no reason".  This was all working last night.  Shut the pc off.  Came in this morning turned it on and this issue appears.  Reinstalling drivers, turning the RME on and off, using different firewire cable and port does nothing to add it back into the windows control panel - sound dialog.

0 WDM devices means that no channels are exposed to the OS WDM sound system, and only ASIO is available. Change the setting to 1 and you will have one stereo pair available as "Speakers - RME Fireface" in the Sound Control Panel. Then you can set this as the default playback device.

Your media player app will need to be quit and restarted to react to the change.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

interesting...  That worked.   Why does it just reset itself to 0 on its own?
At any rate, now I know what to look for should it occur again.

Thanks.

7 (edited by zeoka 2017-07-11 12:53:51)

RME Support wrote:

Please check the number of active WDM devices in the settings dialog.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

hi i've recently updated ff800 to last drivers , i have the problem
i would like to try but  can't find this setting in windows 7
windows/control panel/sound 
i go in properties in each outputs but nothing
anyway configure button is greyed
thank you

The FF800 Settings dialog....

Regards