Topic: ARC USB via a USB 3.0 hub

I would like to use the RME ARC to control the UFX post computer, like a traditional analogue monitor controller. This is so I can 1) turn down/mute the volume after any potential pops or freakouts from the PC in the event of a crash, and 2) also use run sound with the PC off.

Will this setup work if I connect the ARC and UFX to a hub, then the hub to the PC?
(I am thinking the UFX can see the ARC thru the hub without needing the PC/TotalMix):

[UFX] / [ARC] <—> [USB hub] <—> [PC with TotalMix]

Re: ARC USB via a USB 3.0 hub

With or without a hub, with ARC USB you can't control UFX in standalone mode. Previous generation ARC can control it while being directly connected. ARC USB -> PC with TotalMix FX - fine.

3 (edited by ramses 2018-03-21 20:19:05)

The UFX had a special plug for the old ARC (Advanced Remote Control), this has nothing to do with USB ...
So a hub won't help you.

The new ARC USB is based on USB 1.1.
Only UFX II and UFX+ have an additional USB plug for it, so that it can be used in stand-alone mode.

For all other interfaces that support TotalMix FX (nearly all back to 2002) the ARC USB needs to be connected to the PC where the recording interfaces is connected to and where TotalMix FX runs.
The communication between Recording Interface and ARC USB is being performed by TotalMix FX.

Therefore its a strong requirement that the interface has / supports TotalMix FX (the newer/latest version of TotalMix).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ok thanks.

am currently running main outs from UFX to Benchmark DAC1 via AES and was thinking to replace functionality of DAC1 with ARC usb. might not be ideal for me, as i do have a worry about a hard level control between interface and monitors...

Get one of those cheap passive desktop volume controls described here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

which all have a mute button. As long as you have the volume dialed to max there is zero degradation of the signal going through the 'emergency mute'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME