Topic: Windows 10 recording problem

I am enjoying my new ADI-2 Pro but I have encountered a problem when recording to PC from the analogue input. I have the unit in ADAC mode so that I can hear the analogue input while it is being recorded in 384KHz 32bit float mode. I record one side of an LP and then test the recording by playing back in USB mode. I then switch back to ADAC mode and record the second side to a completely new track, but when I try to play the second recording it plays with extreme distortion at what I suspect is double speed as if half of the samples have been lost or possibly only 16 bits have been saved for each sample. I have had the same thing happen with two completely different recording programs and even on two different computers ( both windows 10 Pro with the latest patches and updates). If I save the bad recording it is approximately half the file size I expect. Nothing on the ADI display shows any unexpected or different values.

Could this be an ASIO driver issue?

Re: Windows 10 recording problem

> ADAC mode

AD/DA or DAC mode?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

> ADAC mode

AD/DA or DAC mode?

AD/DA mode.

I am hoping that this problem has gone away. I have changed a couple of things. Firstly I have remove the entry for Realtek ASIO in the registry. This was causing Audacity to fail to start and seems to have some sort of compatibility issue with the ASIO SDK and/or Portaudio interface which Audacity uses. Secondly I noticed that the recording device which appears slightly confusingly as Analogue in the windows configuration seems to change its quality setting from 32 bit to 24 bit occasionally and is not always under control of the software even when the recording is set to be 32 bit floating point. ( preSonus Studio One -3 being my alternative to Audacity). If it does happen again I will be sure to save the corrupted recording and dissect it in detail.

>> 384KHz 32bit float mode.

IMHO may use 32 bit integer (given ASIO format 18),  otherwise someone has to convert to float...

hp

hpw wrote:

>> 384KHz 32bit float mode.

IMHO may use 32 bit integer (given ASIO format 18),  otherwise someone has to convert to float...

hp

My rationale is that Audacity always uses 32 floating point internally so it makes sense to record in that format if possible.

Data from digital interfaces or analog converters don't come as 32 bit float, they are 16, 24 or 32 bit integer, then converted into the format the DAW usues internally only. If your DAW does that there is nothing wrong with it, nor would you gain anything if - for example - our driver would do it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME