Topic: ARC USB does not light up all 3 buttons?

Hello all - I'm new to RME.  I just picked up a Fireface 802 and ARC USB controller.   So far so good, learning a lot.

My problem is when I plug in the RME ARC USB only the first 2 lights (Talkback, Speaker B).  DIM will not light up, which according to manual means it has not established communication with TotalMix FX.

I'm sure this is a very simple solution, but I couldn't figure it out. 

I do have a midi keyboard (Akai MPK49) plugged into the Fireface midi ports (standard 5 pin midi cables).  And I have established connection with my DAW (Reason), so that is working. 

The ARC USB is plugged into the computer (via external USB hub).  Could this be the problem?  Do I need to only plug ARC USB directly into one of the computer USB ports? 

In the Settings of TotalMix there is a "MIDI" tab and an "Aux. Devices" tab.   I believe both my Akai and ARC are showing up in multiple areas.   Should I only focus on the "MIDI" tab?   I'm confused about which tab is responsible for which device?

Last question - since I bought the Fireface used, it seems there were some previous settings saved by the previous owner.  For instance some channels are panned L or R.  Is there a way to reset the entire TotalMix FX software and Fireface just like it was new out of the box?

Thanks all!

Re: ARC USB does not light up all 3 buttons?

Perhaps you have not configured TMFX correctly to communicate with the ARC... Or it is disabled in the ARC USB settings. Or your driver is outdated. Please check the version and update if necessary.

There is a full mixer reset in the Options menu.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the reply Daniel.

Regarding your first comment... I can not find anywhere in the manual I need to configure TMFX to communicate with the ARC.  The manual says basically, "plug in, watch 3 buttons light up, and it works".   This is not the case for me.   

Also, where do I find "ARC USB settings"?  Do you mean within the TMFX "Settings" menu, under "MIDI"?

For driver updates, are you referring to TMFX driver, or ARC USB driver?

Thanks for the full mixer reset, I'll look for that.

Remove your other MIDI devices and you will notice the ARC USB starts working. Reason is that one of these block the MIDI port and/or communication.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC.  I will give that a try.

I guess my follow up question would be, how can I use both MIDI devices at the same time?  Is that possible?

Okay I got it working. 

I updated latest version of TMFX.  I unchecked "enable midi control'.  I also changed every midi selection to ARC USB.

Note - I still have my other midi controller connected to the MIDI ports of the Fireface and it's working with my DAW.