Topic: ADI-2 Pro / AE Firmware Update 174 DSP 86

We are still not finished (so to say) with the ADI-2 Pro / AE. Here comes firmware update FPGA 174 / DSP 86, with several useful changes:

- Newly programmed DAC subclock module. It fixes a random full-scale right channel click at the analog outputs when changing the sample rate over more than one range (for example from 192 kHz quad speed to 44.1 kHz single speed).

- Reworked several reset and initialization schemes in various modes and sample rates to avoid unexpected clicks and noise burst issues.

- Playing a PCM file at 176.4 kHz followed by a DSD64 file where both files have audio from start to end (usually special test files, not music...) could cause a 250 ms noise burst during transition.

- Fixed a low volume double click (0.5 s) when changing sample rates caused by unintentional disabling/enabling of the digital DC offset correction (DAC PCM mode only)

-  In modes DSD and DSD Direct, the Phase Invert options are no longer disabled (did anyone ever try the Phase Reversal Trick on DSD?)  smile

- The automatic DSD DoP detection (present as hardware modules at all digital inputs, USB playback and in front of the DAC chips) can now be disabled. This option turned out to be necessary when using the ADI-2 Pro as measurement front-end and generating extreme high frequencies [1], but is nothing to worry about if one is just listening to music. Default: SETUP - Options - Device Mode - DSD Detection - ON.

Firmware download is here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_win.zip

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ce_mac.zip

[1] https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26651

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: ADI-2 Pro / AE Firmware Update 174 DSP 86

Note: the bit test files are now available with 4 seconds of play time, as the former 1 second caused problems on some playback devices or playback software.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/bit_test_wavs.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2018-03-17 08:48:27)

EDIT3: Many thanks for providing these files.

Interesting as I had in the past issues with MusicBee with the 1s files.
Validated, the 1s files cause issues with MusicBee, with the 4s files no problems,
but a few interesting behaviours, see below:

EDIT2:
All bit tests pass with MusicBee and foobar2000.

There is only one thing which wonders me. In the ADI-2 Pro's State Overview the Sample Rate changes, but the Bit Depth stays always at 16 bit, even if 24 and 32 bit tests are being processed. Is that the expected behaviour or is the State Overview not being updated properly ?
My firmware: latest: v85.

The ADI-2 Pro is not conected via USB, I unplugged to be sure.
Its connected via AES to the UFX+.
State overview shows in the last 2 lines:
SRC SPDIF
Clock Source: AES (which is correct, UFX+ is set to clock internal).

BTW .. 1st I had issues with MusicBee, because the foobar2000 window was still left open.
Then only some of the bit tests worked and then sometimes interestingly the
State Overview showed 16 and 24 Bit alternating in some tests, changing with each test pulse.
Whereas usually as I wrote Bit is stuck to 16 in the State Overview.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

> In the ADI-2 Pro's State Overview the Sample Rate changes, but the Bit Depth stays always at 16 bit, even if 24 and 32 bit tests are being processed.

There is no bit display with USB in the State Overview, only with SPDIF and AES.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

> In the ADI-2 Pro's State Overview the Sample Rate changes, but the Bit Depth stays always at 16 bit, even if 24 and 32 bit tests are being processed.

There is no bit display with USB in the State Overview, only with SPDIF and AES.

The ADI-2 Pro is connected via AES for audio (USB only for flashing it ...).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Then you will not see 32 bit passed anyway. And you need a playback pause between Bit Test 16 and 24 bit because the screen is blocked during display of the message.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by ramses 2018-03-20 07:20:04)

MC wrote:

Then you will not see 32 bit passed anyway. And you need a playback pause between Bit Test 16 and 24 bit because the screen is blocked during display of the message.

Ok this I wanted to know, whether the display is being blocked, this explains it. Many thanks.

8 (edited by JendaLegenda 2018-03-22 21:53:33)

Hello, thanks for update - while ADI-2 Pro is really quiet, I encountered some clicks several times. But not since this update smile

I have one question - how can I pass the 32 bit test? Playing the 32bit test sample in foobar on windows 10 via ASIO output on full volume displays passing only 24bit test. Even with WASAPI event mode with bit depth set to 32 bit the unit still shows only 24 bit test passed. (It's not hanging there from previous test results.)

9 (edited by BurchSung 2022-03-26 21:39:47)

Hi...i am a new user here. I observed in the ADI-2 Pro's State Overview the Sample Rate changes, but the Bit Depth stays always at 16 bit, even if 24 and 32 bit tests are being processed. Is that the expected behaviour or is the State Overview not being updated properly?

turnkey pcb assembly

The manual has all the infos, chapter 34.21.

This one might also help:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25242

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME