Topic: Technical questions - ADI-2 DAC

Hi I have a few technical questions about the ADI-2 DAC, which I am almost ready to buy.

The ADI-2 DAC has 1x Balanced and 1x Unbalanced pre outputs. Can you use both at the same time, to power both a power amp (speakers) and a subwoofer?

I'd power the power amp by XLR and the sub by RCA, so the RCA would have less power at any time I'm assuming? I could correct this by increasing the sub volume. Or can I somehow match the voltage of the XLR and RCA outputs?

Can this unit actually supply enough power for this use - to my understanding it would need to supply 2.8V (1.4V for each of the amp and the sub; that is, line level)?

On the unit, how do you switch between headphone output and line output?

Thanks

Re: Technical questions - ADI-2 DAC

Assuming it’s an active sub... yes you can do this (both simulateously.
I’m doing this same setup with a pair of Hypex nCore monoblocs power amps via XLR, and an ATC C1 active sub via RCAs.
I can’t say about the exact voltages you mention but it’s been no issue for me... I just adjust the sub volume to where I want it.

Mac Mini > Roon > RME ADI-2 DAC > ATC SCM-11 speakers and C1 subwoofer

concorde wrote:

On the unit, how do you switch between headphone output and line output?

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … tup-EN-DE/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks guys I'm going to buy one.

Also will this unit work on USB to Linux? I know I can't update the firmware without Windows but can I use it?

concorde wrote:

Also will this unit work on USB to Linux? I know I can't update the firmware without Windows but can I use it?

Should work as the ADI-2 DAC works in Class Compliant mode (UAC 2.0), see handbook ch. 26.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

concorde wrote:

I'm using the ADI-2 DAC connected via USB to a Sonore Ultrarendu, which is Fedora/Linux-based streamer.  Works great.

Awesome

rpgroman wrote:
concorde wrote:

I'm using the ADI-2 DAC connected via USB to a Sonore Ultrarendu, which is Fedora/Linux-based streamer.  Works great.

Hi @rpgoman, wich software (protocol) are you using on Ultrarendu ?
Did you tested ADI-2 with DSD256 "native" feed ? 

From DietPi (Debian like) and SqueezeLite only DSD128 DoP seems possible with ADI-2, any hints ?
Best

Hi @Volpone,

Just using Squeezelite as player with Logitech Media Server serving files from a microJukebox. 

Sorry, but I haven't tried DSD (all my files are flac), so cannot advise you one way or the other.

Cheers.....

rpgroman wrote:

Hi @Volpone,

Just using Squeezelite as player with Logitech Media Server serving files from a microJukebox. 

Sorry, but I haven't tried DSD (all my files are flac), so cannot advise you one way or the other.

Cheers.....

Thank you @rpgroman.
Apparently very few users play DSD256 "native" from USB LINUX (ALSA) device to ADI-2. I have a hard time getting feedbacks.
I think it is possible with WIN and perhaps OSX. From LINUX DSD128 DoP (DSD over PCM) is OK, but unable to play DSD256 native DSD.

Best ...

That requires 786 kHz operation. Typical XMOS based DACs stop at 384 kHz, but can do DSD256 at 384 kHz by sample multiplexing. So either the sample rate is not supported, or the un-multiplexed mode that is used at DSD128 (with 384 kHz). BTW, DSD256 also works with iOS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by volpone 2019-02-01 17:44:08)

MC wrote:

That requires 786 kHz operation. Typical XMOS based DACs stop at 384 kHz, but can do DSD256 at 384 kHz by sample multiplexing. So either the sample rate is not supported, or the un-multiplexed mode that is used at DSD128 (with 384 kHz). BTW, DSD256 also works with iOS.

Thank you @MC !
Do you mean ADI-2 is using XMOS USB receiver limited to 384 kHz ?

If this is the case DoP (DSD over PCM, ie "multiplexed") is possible up to DSD128 and no more. DSD256 using DoP needs 768 kHz, i agree. DSD "native" mode (ie un-multiplexed) might be OK up to DSD256 with XMOS receiver 384 kHz limitation isn't it ?

Current ADI-2 USB receiver firmware is OK to use "DSD native" (un-multiplexed) mode up to DSD256 but only from IOS or WIN devices (not Linux). Could you confirm that i understand you correctly?

Best

RME uses its own USB circuit/technology. XMOS is the most often used one so it might be that current Linux implementation use it that way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

15 (edited by volpone 2019-02-03 13:35:44)

MC wrote:

RME uses its own USB circuit/technology. XMOS is the most often used one so it might be that current Linux implementation use it that way.

Thank's @MC.
So DSD256 OK but only DoP (DSD over PCM and not "native" DSD transport) and from a Linux device supporting PCM 768 kHz output. Correct ?

For the ADI-2 Pro and DAC: yes. Which reminds me of HQPlayer, it can do this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by volpone 2019-02-03 16:51:25)

MC wrote:

... Which reminds me of HQPlayer, it can do this.

Sure for HQPlayer, don't know from ROON / ROONBridge ? Thank you @MC !

Matthias ,can I ask if in some future firmware  upgrade can the screen change color by switching the source? That is, there are three colors, one for usb, one for optical and one for coaxial.

Hi MC

I have got this question. Presently I am using my A&K SR 15 player connecting via Mirco USB to USB B (DAC).
I face connecting issues with players like Denafrips ARES, Audiolab MDAC+ & Arcam IRDAC II so far.
I have no issues with any Chord products like Dave, TT2, Hugo2 & Cutest.
As there's no direct agent here (Singapore) I am just concern that I have this USB B issue.
Tks for reading.

I am pretty sure it will work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

DSD256 also works with iOS.

MacOS too?

Sure. If you have the right player app.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Concorde,

I'm really late to the discussion, but Welcome to the Forum!

Here, you will find some very bright individuals who serve to add value to your RME Product.   The more we know, the better able we are to harness the immense capabilities of our new device.

All the Best!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

volpone wrote:
rpgroman wrote:

Hi @Volpone,

Cheers.....

Thank you @rpgroman.
Apparently very few users play DSD256 "native" from USB LINUX (ALSA) device to ADI-2. I have a hard time getting feedbacks.
I think it is possible with WIN and perhaps OSX. From LINUX DSD128 DoP (DSD over PCM) is OK, but unable to play DSD256 native DSD.

Best ...

Found this topic browsing for RME and Linux and decided to register.

FWIW I use it on Linux to play DSD using "audacious" and works wonderfully using the correct bitrate and everything. You may have to tweak devices to use to force the specific ALSA device, aside from that works wonders.

Here is the way:

http://ezra-s.net/images/audacious-settings-dsd-linux-rme-adi-2.jpeg