Topic: xlr shell stuck in input fireface ucx

No doubt this is a common problem across all audio devices, but the info on this forum is limited. After breaking the bank to get an RME device, after 5 weeks of getting up to speed with Totalmix, I finally get going with some inputs. Then the xlr gets stuck in the combo socket (mic/line 1).  Well annoyed as it was a 'refurbished' item and is now out of the 1-month warranty.
Any tips and tricks before I have to open the unit and approach the problem from above? I've tried dental tools, special thin steel strips, almost everything. I'm not a dunce and having had this problem before (Xlr connectors can often be stiff) I've usually teased it out....
If everything fails, what's the procedure for returning the device to RME for repair? Does it take months? As I said, it's the xlr shell only - there's gotta be a way..

2 (edited by vinark 2019-03-15 12:33:57)

Re: xlr shell stuck in input fireface ucx

I am sure you tried this but just to be sure. Do get the ucx in the best position for you to get maximum pull on the XLR, maybe use a tool to grip the shell and maybe get someone to hold the UCX down for you. And be sure to push the release really good too, cause that might be the problem. It might be possible to insert a tiny flat screwdriver between the release and the shell to force the release to open.
If you get it out and I am positive you will, cut of the XLR and solder on a neutric straight away!
Good luck!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

thanks friend but that didn't work. I'm well upset here,; running out of ideas, feel like I've wasted a shitload of money.

Anyone know if RME still service the UCX? And price/waiting list, etc? Cos it's looking that way.
Or I just leave it in permanently, I wasn't thinking of taking it places anyway.
I have replaced combi jacks but I don't trust myself with this thing

Every device is still serviced....

Please contact the local distributor for service options: http://www.rme-audio.de/en/buy.php

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME