Topic: suggestion for a 8ch High quality converter

Hello,
I've a new Millennia 8ch preamp and I'm looking to upgrade my old Digimax Fs, yes very old.
I need only the converters, best quality, no pre or interface functions (USB, Thunderbolt).
Acoustic classical music and soundtrack.
Thanks, have a nice Sunday

2 (edited by ramses 2019-09-29 11:24:05)

Re: suggestion for a 8ch High quality converter

This needs further informations.

Max budget ?

Which digital ports do you require for the A/D converter to connect further to a recording interface ? ADAT, MADI, AVB ?
Which recording interface is this ?

In which sample rate do you record ? If you need 8 channels @88.2/96 then you need at least 2 ADAT ports.

If you should use an even higher sample rate and if you need to record with 8 ports, then you need definitively a MADI or AVB based a/d converter, because I do not know of any device offering 4 ADAT ports IN.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by ramses 2019-09-29 11:28:51)

Do you have this one ? https://www.mil-media.com/HV-3D-8.html
It directly supports Dante, AES or MADI digital output modules.
So .. what recording interface do you have ?

We should find out what makes more sense
- to upgrade the device itself with a A/D converter or
- to get a separate A/D controller

A solution could also be a new RME recording interface supporting MADI like the UFX+
which is currently very affordable and to equip the Millenia with a MADI module.

But there are also other RME MADI interfaces available.

I only want to mention that this might be the best solution for you, more scalable, etc.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Max budget 2.5K
ADAT port, normally I record @48/24 and no more than 4 tracks at once @96/24.
For other uses I have a Mutec MC-4 so I have a format converter available.
Thanks

For guitaristic reasons I have an Antelope Synergy 4 thunderbolt that have 4 headphones out and some interesting modeling effects, useful for having comfortable listening while tracking. While I'n not totally in love as interface this features are very handy for my needs

at home I have also a Digiface USB, an old but glorious Fireface 400 and a Clarett2 pre thunderbolt

7 (edited by ramses 2019-09-29 11:56:08)

OK, the Antelope only has 1x ADAT i/o.

Cabling / Signal flow would be:
Millenia Preamp -> Analog out -> 8-port A/D converter -> ADAT -> Antelope

You could use for this purpose:
- https://www.rme-audio.de/de_adi-8-qs.html (with MADI)
- https://www.rme-audio.de/de_adi-8-ds-mk-iii.html (without MADI)

Alternative Proposal. The analog section of the UFX+ is already superb.

Get an UFX+ which you can get currently to a very affordable price.
Its an USB3/Thunderbolt recording interface.
By this you get a solid base, TotalMix, MADI, Durec, Everything you dream off.
TotalMix FX has now TotalMix Remote and so on.

Then I would connect
- Millenia analog to the UFX+
- Antelope as Guitar Processor standalone to the UFX+ via ADAT

Voila, best scalebale solution with zillions of good options and advantages.

Later you can still decide, whether you give the Millenia a MADI module and then you can connect it per MADI.
This frees again your analog ports on the UFX+
AND ... you are even abale to record up to 192 kHz by this, because
- you connect the millenia now directly to the UFX+ analog ports
- and later you connect it via MADI, at 192 kHz there are still 16 MADI channels left wink

This would be a much scalable high quality solution.

Then buy an ARC USB on top, then you have very comfortably working.

1 year later (if you have cache again) you can even add reference grade quality D/A conversion for phones and monitors by integrating the ADI-2 Pro FS to the UFX+, for monitors and phones by ADAT or AES.

See here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

8 (edited by bat 2019-09-29 12:09:09)

Very interesting the alternative proposal.
The only "cons" is that in this configuration I will loose the plugin of the antelope in the DAW (option only for Mac thunderbolt user).
Not so sad, I have others ways like UA Satellite.
I could also connect the Mutec Mc-4 via AES. In this case is better to give the master word clock to the UFX+ or to the Mutec (is his main feature I guess) ?
P.S. I have the ADI-2 pro and is endless love

9 (edited by ramses 2019-09-29 12:40:13)

I think this will be the best solution for you.

If you want to keep Antelope for guitar because of its effects, then you need to find out,
whether its capable to run in standalone mode.

Alternatively keep it connected via USB just to control the inserts / effects of the antelope or to load the routing for this setup which should be quite easy.

Otherwise you benefit from a high quality RME based setup which even allows you to scale in the future,
as MADI allows connection of even more gear.

You are flexible, because you can connect the UFX+ via thunderbolt, USB3
and even USB2 but then the MADI channels are inactive.

DURec, Autoset, FX effects, TM Remote, Digicheck, ... Really LOTS of features and Scalability / expandability up to the integration of the ADI-2 Pro FS if you want that later in the future, which is also very very nice.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vjollv8yf2nsoo/UFX%2B%20Millenia%20and%20Antelope%20in%20Standalone.png?dl=1

something go wrong with the image of your last post. I see a blue interrogation point. Can you kindly post it again?

ramses wrote:

I think this will be the best solution for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vjollv8yf2nsoo/UFX%2B%20Millenia%20and%20Antelope%20in%20Standalone.png?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hry11x9gz9v4d70/UFX%2B%20Millenia%20and%20Antelope%20in%20Standalone.jpg?dl=1

Now I read the text. Yes, if I keep the antelope connected I have the control panel and all the features.
And the UFX+ is a beautiful beast. Thanks for the great expertise. Have a nice Sunday

Nice that you like it, I personally think this is a killer setup for you :-)