1 (edited by Helmut Crab 2019-10-12 11:54:58)

Topic: Help getting new laptop system please

Hi all,
I have rme 802 and was on mac osx but need new laptop and wondering if windows 10 on pc is good with rme drivers please ?
Macbook pro is very expensive now and non repairable and  most posts seem to be issues related to osx and not win 10 recently around here.

has anyone used both osx and win 10 for audio recently and can compare for ease of use, stability and maintenance needed ?

Need system with !east amount of work and maintenance required. Is that still osx over win 10 ?
Appreciate any input
Thanks

2 (edited by ramses 2019-10-12 12:34:32)

Re: Help getting new laptop system please

If you are willed to learn how to operate and use Win10, then I see no issues.
I would perform the move piece by piece, use the systems in parallel.
Once its ready do the final cut.

RME ASIO drivers under Windows are superb, no matter which windows version we talk about.
They have, from what I read in forum discussions, even a lower base latency compared to Mac OS X.

You would have advantages and advantages to be able to replace components easier, as you say.

But also when using RME DIGIcheck you have two advantages:
- you can simply monitor every input and output without any "trickeries", no need to work with loopbacks
- you can use Global Record which is not available for Apple, because of Core Audio (non-ASIO design).

If the PC / Laptop is connected to the internet I would advice you to take a good Internet Security Solution.
Solutions that had only low impact in PC performance: Kaspersky, Norton, I am using "KIS" since yeard.

Get a good working disk image based backup solition like "Macrium Reflect Home".
There is nothing better at the moment.

For privacy reasons and to tame some background processes get O&O Win10 Shutup.

Get Win10 Professional, because otherwise you get Windows Updates 1st as Beta Tester.
In Win10 Professional you can delay them, in ie. HOME edition not.

Get a Laptop with Thunderbolt in case you would like to use extension cases in the future or to connect UFX+,
if you see a demand to grow and use MADI.

To enable for fast backups look, that your Laptop has USB 3.2 gen 2 ports supporting UASP
and get an external disk with also USB 3.2 gen 2 and UASP support.
Then you can perform faster backups, especially if you have many small files to transfer and
want to make a 2nd backup, by keeping user data in "native format" (backup by mirroring)
to not get into trouble, shall the disk image SW have issues to read its own archive format.
With Acronis things like this happened in the past, with Macrium I had no issues up to now.

Look that your Laptop supports DRAM upgrades up to the amount that you require, maybe up to 32 GB.

8GB is the absolute minimum to operate Win10. For recording better take 16 GB or more if you require.

Look that you get a device with an ergonomic non-glare screen.

Ensure that the Screens resolution is not to high according to the size of the screen.
If DPI value (dots per inch) becomes too high, then you will get issues to see VSTs in your DAW,
because they usually can not be scaled up ... tiny VST windows are really hard to operate and use.
Tiny knobs, descriptions and uneasy to turn the knobs in a VST, if all is extremely small.

So the best is you get the Laptop, use it as 2nd screen, i.e. for TotalMix FX ... then get an external screen,
and there you place the Application, that you are using.

It still might be the case that Intel CPUs give you better DPC compared to AMD CPUs, to be tested !
Smaller DPCs are better for recording esp under load and when using low ASIO buffer sizes to achieve smaller
RTL between Recording Interface and Laptop.

Read Notebook tests to validate, that the Notebook has no thermal problems.
Bad is, when the CPU heats up under load, so that the CPU frequency needs to be throttled.
This way you do not get a sustained CPU power, the system becomes slower.
Eventually it changes the clock of CPU frequently and clock changes also introduce a certain latency,
until the Cores operate at the other clock speed.

It might be an advantage to get a Laptop which allows for a docking station, as this usually give you more I/O ports for additional Screens, USB etc and its easier for you to take the Laptop without without having to cable/uncable connections.

Avoid USB based docks as they usually introduced issues. Either the old fashiend docks or at least based on Thunderbolt which is in fact external PCIe.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Post got deleted so will just say thank you very much ramses that was very kind of you and very informative.

Have you tried osx ? Did you find it less maintenance please?

I ask as have neurological disease and very little energy so need it for DAW and as little work as possible. Mbp is a lot of money but if it allows me more time to use DAW then that is right choice for me i think.

Maybe osx is still better regarding that  ?

Cheers

Its difficult for me to predict your reaction to a new operating system.

I tried to give you already a summary of things you could take care of, so that the final experience will be fine for you and that you have also the required safety belts in terms of backup, anti virus, etc.

I know a 75y old musician who hates computers, but needs one to make at least all the appointments for his gigs.
I prepared a Win7 Laptop for him, that works for him and had never an issue.
New installation, only required stuff, proper proactive settings, do whats needed, avoid what causes issues.
Well, knock on wood. 5+ years of stress free operation even if he has no interest into computers.
2y ago I made him a present, a little SSD, cloned the installation with Macrium reflect.
Works now even faster thanks to SSD wink
Even computer dummies can live well with a Windows Laptop.
But you should perform a proper installation from ground up.

I could think of, that maybe a turnkey system for audio could be a nice thing for you.
Or ask a friends who really know how to install such a system well and takes the time to perform
measuring in terms of, whether you have good working drivers, etc.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Helmut Crab 2019-10-12 15:56:17)

Yes i got a carillon pc audio laptop in 2016 which i think is turnkey modern version but could not get reaper to work on it even though i know reaper well on osx. Could have got tech help via internet dial in to my system but was too unwell and trackpad was unusable despite maximising settings so would need mouse. It was too heavy for me as used desktop cpu as am disabled so i had to send back but they did have lighter mobile ones.

I then got 2018 mbp but it ran very hot, and didnt want to do an osx reinstall for 12 hrs and tech support said must be hardware issue, then for no apparent reason did it fine so i sent that back too.

I cant say how much of it has been user error on the pc as i do get very confused but am still without a laptop !

Maybe just need to pick one and stick with it. I just remember windows xp offline system being more work than osx lion online so am concerned by extra work.

Cheers

6 (edited by ramses 2019-10-12 16:31:21)

I would ask a company who is good in this field. Xi-machines also delivers mobile workstations.

http://xi-machines.com/de/systeme-mobil … ations.php

Maybe give them a call or send them an e-mai about all of your requirements and look what they can offer which brings you further.

Somebody recommended this company to me who got a nice performing 2-CPU desktop system from them.

7 (edited by Helmut Crab 2019-10-12 18:54:47)

Muchas gracias ramses,

Youve been very helpful

All the best

You're welcome, same to you.