Topic: using Fireface 802 as 5.1 surround soundcard

I am using my 802 as a 5.1 soundcard in win10. By default, win10 recognize the 802 as multiple stereo soundcard and it cannot map with 5.1 decoding software to get 5.1 out. After I configure AN1/2 as 5.1 in the win10 sound configure, it is recognized as a 5.1 sound card and the Center/Sub will automatically map to AN3/4, surround map to AN5/6. This is all fine before I restart my PC.

The nightmare has come every time I reboot my PC. The win10 seems does not remember my configure and recognize the AN1/2 as stereo at every reboot. Then I need to do the 5.1 configure over and over again on every reboot. It's like haunted sad

Is there any solution to let win10 remember the 5.1 setting? Is it a driver issue?

Thanks.
Alvis

Re: using Fireface 802 as 5.1 surround soundcard

so no one play it like me?

Did you set the WDM devices in the driver settings as Multichannel?

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Audio AG Support wrote:

Hi,

I tried to "Configure" it as multichannel on the win10 Sound settings. It works then, but it recognize as a stereo on every reboot. Then I need to configure it on every reboot. Not sure if this is win10 issue or RME issue.

Thanks.
Alvis

Audio AG Support wrote:

Hi AG Support,

Do you mean "WDM Devices" under "Fireface USB Settings"?

Thanks.
Alvis

The Settings dialog of the 802 driver does not have stereo or multichannel WDM options. And they are not necessary. You either use an outdated driver, or you have a problem with Windows 10, which either does not write the Speaker configuration into its registry, or fails to read it. You also don't need to reboot the computer:

Open the Sound dialog, configure the default playback device 802 for 5.1 playback.
Assuming you are at 44.1 kHz, now choose 48 kHz in the RME Settings dialog. No need to close the Sound dialog. The 802 device will quickly disappear and come back.
Now configure Speaker configuration again to 5.1 - Windows remembers this setting per sample rate.
Then change back to 44.1 - configuration is set to 5.1. Change to 48 - same same.

Tested with 802 on latest Windows 10 and driver 1.168. Also in RME's Settings dialog, only 1 WDM device needs to be active for this feature.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The Settings dialog of the 802 driver does not have stereo or multichannel WDM options. And they are not necessary. You either use an outdated driver, or you have a problem with Windows 10, which either does not write the Speaker configuration into its registry, or fails to read it. You also don't need to reboot the computer:

Open the Sound dialog, configure the default playback device 802 for 5.1 playback.
Assuming you are at 44.1 kHz, now choose 48 kHz in the RME Settings dialog. No need to close the Sound dialog. The 802 device will quickly disappear and come back.
Now configure Speaker configuration again to 5.1 - Windows remembers this setting per sample rate.
Then change back to 44.1 - configuration is set to 5.1. Change to 48 - same same.

Tested with 802 on latest Windows 10 and driver 1.168. Also in RME's Settings dialog, only 1 WDM device needs to be active for this feature.

Hi MC,

I tried to follow your steps but it just goes back to Stereo on Win reboot everytime. I was using 1.168 and now 1.212 driver, both the same.
Is there a  way to manually to change the Win10 registry? I would like to try this will work?

Thanks.
Alvis