Topic: loop back mode testing we had observed one bit error in RME HDSPe

We had used RME HDSPe AIO sound card,during loop back mode testing we had observed one bit error in LSB.
Testing Method:
We had pumped 16 bit PCM two channel stream through pumping utility and it is given as input to RME HDSPe  sound card (loop back).
While comparing(using recording tool) input stream and recorded output we had observed one bit difference.But in other sound card we didn't observe bit difference.
To avoid this issue is there any setting is available in RME HDSPe  sound card.Kindly let us know your feed back on this.

Pumping Utility : PC based software utility, used to pump two channel audio and send input to any Sound card (e.g. Cool Edit, Audacity)
Recording Utility : PC based software utilities (e.g. Cool Edit, Audacity). The audio output pumped out from RME sound card is recorded using the utilities in PC.

Re: loop back mode testing we had observed one bit error in RME HDSPe

Set the software playback and hardware output fader in TotalMix FX to exactly 0 dB, and do NOT mix several channels onto one output.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

In loop back mode testing there is no external hardware and mixing also not performed. The actual flow is

Pumping utility ------> RME Soundcard -------> Recording utility

PCM two channel input stream is used for testing. Kindly let us know your feed back.

4 (edited by ramses 2019-11-07 07:09:58)

Audacity does not have ASIO support compiled in per default.
You might use a signal path through Windows Audio subsystems that is not bit perfect.

I would repeat the test by using a software that is capable to use the RME ASIO driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

some "free" DAW's:
http://reaper.fm/download.php (is very tiny, but powerful)
https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
https://www.avid.com/pro-tools-first
https://ardour.org/

HDSPe MADI FX, HDSPe Multiface, 2ADI2-PRO, ADI2,
Nuendo 10.3, Bitwig 3
win10, Ubuntu 20

We didnt use TotalMix FX software, instead we use other software's as indicated in previous post.If we follow same method for other sound card's, we didn't observe bit difference.Let us know your feedback on this.

7 (edited by ramses 2019-11-08 16:32:59)

The description of your test setup is still incomplete.

Most important here from my point of view:
please provide a screenshot of your audio tool, which audio drivers you are using for testing.

It would be nice to get also some more information about OS, drivers and applications for reference ..
Version of:
- Windows, if 10, then please narrow the exact version of 10, i.e. whether it is "1903" or ...
- Audacity
- RME driver and firmware

Thanks for your cooperation.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

8 (edited by loopbreaker 2019-11-08 16:26:30)

I think the point is, that Windows-Sound usually is NOT bitperfect.

To gurantee bit-perfect conditions, use the (RME) ASIO-Driver, wich closely every professional Sound-Software (as DAW's and Audio-Editors) use.

If you don't want to spend long time, with downloading such thing, i recommend Reaper.
Because it's very tiny.
Like the most DAW's, DJ-Software and AudioEditor, you have to choose the ASIO driver first in the settings of the Programm, to get started:
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

Nuendo 10.3, Bitwig 3
win10, Ubuntu 20

9 (edited by loopbreaker 2019-11-08 16:30:59)

ramses and me posted simultaneously...

Nuendo 10.3, Bitwig 3
win10, Ubuntu 20

Please find the testing system and tools  version

Testing PC Configuration
Windows 7 professional
64 bit processor
8gb RAM

Recording tool:
Spectra plus - Sound card edition
Version 5.3.0.1

Sound Card:
RME Driver Version: 4.1.2.0
Digital Signer: RME GmbH

Kindly let us how to update snap shots in forum.

So far you didn't even tell us how you did your loopback. Optical I/O SPDIF? Disable TMS in the card's Settings dialog. You could also use Loopback function in TM FX directly.

If that doesn't help please contact our support by mail or telephone. That should be more efficient and quick than posting here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes We had used optical I/o SPDIF for loop back testing.We had disable TMS option in card settings  even bit difference is observed. Kindly share mail id we will share snap shots of tools settings

Looping back is done within the RME HDSPe. The input and output is SPDIF, connectivity is given through optical cable. We have a snap shot showing the loop back connectivity. In this forum, we are not able to send attachments. Please let us know the alternative method or email ID to share the snapshot.

Place something on dropbox and share the link, this way you can share a screenshot on every forum.

We had uploaded the snap shots in ftp as indicated below.
1.RME HDSPe sound card setting
2.Total Fx setting (please refer to the tools usage details below)
3.Loop back optical I/o SPDIF connection

Software tools used:
We had used PC based software utility (e.g. Cooledit, Foobar, Spectraplus), to pump (send) the two channel audio input to the audio card.
Similarly, we had used PC based software utility (e.g. Cooledit, Foobar, Spectraplus), to record (receive) the two channel audio input from the audio card.

Please note that we are not using Total Fx tool for pumping or recording. We understand that the audio card performance should be independent of the software
tools used for pumping or recording the audio.

FTP Details:
Path : ftp://newftp.jasmin-infotech.com/RMEHDSPe_Snap_Shots

User name: RMEHDSPe
Password : gvEabc19@

Hello!

Everyone here have allready told you what to do, but perhaps english is not your native language, and you didn't quite get it.
Firstly, I cannot open the link and cannot see your snapshots,
You can use this:
https://www.sendspace.com/

From all the programs that you listed, only SpectraPlus supports ASIO Operation! But you need to set it up!
Go to SpectraPlus' Device I/O Setup and select the HDSP ASIO Driver.
Then open TotalMixFX and perform a reset. Options -> Reset Mix.
Now perform your test using SpectraPlus' Signal Generator.
If SpectraPlus cannot record audio, use REAPER as LoopBreaker suggested.
Download REAPER, open Preferences, Select Device Setup, Set it to HDSP ASIO.
Perform your test again!

P.S: TotalMixFX is not an external "software" as you might think. It is the mixer for your HDSPe AIO. And a very powerful one!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Totalmix is not on the input path but it is on the output. SO it is easy to mix in some noise from another input to the output you are using.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

+1 @vinark

It just occured to me.. But maybe ,apart from the physical loopback, have you also activated the internal loopback from TotalMix?

19 (edited by emgeeyar.p 2019-11-14 07:12:08)

We had uploaded the snap shots in ftp as indicated below.
1.RME HDSPe sound card setting
2.Total Fx setting (please refer to the tools usage details below)
3.Loop back optical I/o SPDIF connection

Path: https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/bzd … rRtkIimPRV

We will check options mentioned by you and share the observations

Why is the AIO not set to Internal clock when running in a loop? Why does the TM FX screenshot not show any SPDIF input signal?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

As MC is saying, go to HDSPe settings and set clock source to "Internal".

Now, in TotalMixFX, on the top row(Hardware Inputs), we should have been seeing the input signal, on the SPDIF channel. Now that we don't, it means that you are not receiving anything on the Input.

I think that it's because your cable's connector is a bit "bulky", and it's not seated firmly (as I can see in your snapshot) in the Optical Input. It looks a bit "bent".
The cable itself looks great, though.!

You should try with another cable that can be connected firmly in both the Input and Output, and repeat your tests!

Please, report back!

We had  changed setting as per your suggestion even though we had observed bit difference.Please find the snapshots is below  path

https://www.sendspace.com/file/6a8ud8.

Kindly share steps to record in Total Fx Mix.

This is a 24 bit optical loopback test at 48 kHz with the settings that you provided in post 22. There is no error, all 24 bits are constantly identical.

http://archiv.rme-audio.de/images/aio_ap_24bit_test.png

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME