Topic: Digicheck NG for macOS X - preview v0.77 available

Digicheck Next Generation is now available as preview for download. Please note:

- uses Metal hardware-accelerated graphic routines, therefore usually requires macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) or up. It has been written and tested mostly under macOS 10.14 (Mojave) and 10.15 (Catalina).

- currently no installer. Unzip and drag Digicheck NG into your Application folder.

What is Digicheck NG? It is not a ported version of the former DIGICheck. It is fully rewritten and newly designed from the ground up. Of course you get the same measurement functions as before, but many things have changed, and we think for the better. For example DC NG is now fully scalable, in all functions. It uses an extremely flexible window that can hold up to four instruments in freely adjustable sizes. And of course you can have multiple of these flexible windows open and configure them in extreme freedom, to finally store everything as your personal Workspace.

The Settings of each instrument are similar to the former DC, with some nice extensions (like Phosphorescence in the Analyzer). Appearance is set individually for every instrument, and the Input Selection dialog has extended mouse support and additional buttons for the most easy setup of multichannel interfaces. Of course Dark mode is supported as well.

Point is: check all menu entries, use the right mouse button, and no manual should be necessary to manage Digicheck NG successfully.

Known restrictions:

- reconfiguring DC NG sometimes makes the app stop for about 5 seconds (beachball) - will be fixed

- horizontal level meters are currently missing - will be added

- minimum window width can be too large for the 2 and 4 bar level meter - will be changed

If you find missing functions or incompatibilities we are happy about any feedback, as well as comments about this new version!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Digicheck NG for macOS X - preview v0.77 available

Love it!! Thanks so much!

How to use Digicheck NG without Totalmix? I have the the ADI 2 DAC Converter. Maybe I have to create a virtual Loopback?

Great, a very good first experience with Digicheck NG :-)

Hey, cool. looks absolutely beautiful, Phosphorescence, yess ;-)  - Thanks

the setting window for two channel level meter could be bigger, when open - just miss some settings at first view ;-)

And, is there a way to name the channels in Multichannel Level Meter ? (I remember it was possible in the old version, right?)
And, I would like to have infinite peak hold for the spectral analyser

So far, so good. Thanks a lot - like alway:  'all good things are worth waiting for'  ;-)

atb

frank

Oh, just had two times a "freeze" after swapping to other apps - after a while jumping back to Digicheck NG and it is freezed !!

Nothing can activate it again, just restart.

--> OSX 10.15.3  with madiface pro

:-(

first of all thank you smile
Is it possible that Digicheck NG doesn't work with ADI2-DAC fs?

Thank you so much !!!!!!

9 (edited by Webecy 2020-05-13 20:13:58)

Hi!
Thank you so much!

10 (edited by asimilon 2020-05-13 21:27:25)

Great stuff, thanks!

If anyone wants a temporary icon for it : https://mega.nz/file/nR0BlIwI#LDNR61jza … hrphPodbm0

In your Applications folder, right click the program, choose "Get Info", then drag the .icns file on the "default" application icon at the top left of the info window. smile

Some feedback about the program:

• Overall very nice!

• A "3 horizontal" arrangement would be nice (to be able to get something similar to the "Totalyser" setting from before)

• The moire effect can be a bit strange on the spectrum analyser, especially at small resolutions.  This could be improved (but I'm sure you already know this)

I'm just happy that I can run it on Catalina seeing as it's impossible to downgrade macOS on the newest machines.

Again, thanks for this, and look forward to the final version.

1+

mruebsamen wrote:

12 (edited by djelonh 2020-05-13 23:44:32)

problem here ..
mac osx catalina 10.15.4
Screenshot
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcs23ibuixxp4 … 7.png?dl=0

its happening only with spectral analyser

mruebsamen wrote:

What do you mean by "doesn't work"?

You can monitore signal entering your computer, not the music that you're playing wink

On the DAC, on the "Source" menu, select "Record SPDIF..." and you will be able to monitore on your computer the SPDIF signal through USB.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

djelonh wrote:

problem here ..
mac osx catalina 10.15.4
Screenshot

Same issue here:
https://tof.cx/image/qJiUx1

ADI-2 DAC, iMac late 2013, Mac OS 10.15.4, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 Go

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

15 (edited by paulnajar 2020-05-14 01:04:56)

Very impressed with this release. Thank you!

I love the new multi window layout and the ability to resize windows, but I would really like it if there was a 3 & 4 Horizontal display mode. This is how I've been using Digicheck for a long time - a multichannel meter bridge followed by a Totalyzer. To get this with DC NG I use two windows - 1 for multi channel level followed by Spectral Analyser and a second window for Vector Audio Scpoe followed by 2 Channel Meter.

A small bug I found when in th 2 instrument horizontal mode with the Multichannel Level meter was the results text disappear. The only way to get it to display in any horizontal window layout was to use a 1 instrument window.

I confirm your mention of minimum window width being too large for the 2 and 4 bar level meter but this is not the case when using 2 instrument horizontal mode. In this mode the 2&4 channel meters does not have this problem.

The other thing I noticed on a 2012 6 core Mac Pro running Mojave 10.14.6 was the CPU overhead to run my preferred configuration was much improved!. In OSX activity monitor, CPU with old DC was in the range 25-30% (of one core). With DC NG running the same set of instruments the CPU is 8-10%. Brilliant.

What a great improvement overall. Thanks again.

Great update! Thank you very much!
It not only brings impressive visual improvements, but on my system with macos 10.14 it uses 60% less CPU than "old" digicheck with same analyzers configuration.

It was my last blocker from updating to 10.15. So now system is updated, and Digicheck NG went to his own display - ipad in new "sidecar" mode. This is very useful for digicheck, and actually has very low latency - less than 16ms, which means no latency at all for 60hz refresh rate, so if you have no extra display but somehow have extra ipad - this is my recommendation.

paulnajar wrote:

A small bug I found when in th 2 instrument horizontal mode with the Multichannel Level meter was the results text disappear.

When the level text disappears then space is insufficient. Reduce the result font size and it will reappear.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

djelonh wrote:

problem here ..
mac osx catalina 10.15.4
Screenshot

Full hardware specs, please (see N00b post)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

19 (edited by mruebsamen 2020-05-14 07:22:05)

N00b wrote:
mruebsamen wrote:

You can monitore signal entering your computer, not the music that you're playing wink

On the DAC, on the "Source" menu, select "Record SPDIF..." and you will be able to monitore on your computer the SPDIF signal through USB.

Oops, does it mean Digicheck can "just" monitor input signals. I thought I could use for monitoring my DAW as well...

MC wrote:
djelonh wrote:

problem here ..
mac osx catalina 10.15.4
Screenshot

Full hardware specs, please (see N00b post)

iMac late 2012 , 32gb RAM, 1T. Ssd, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB , fireface UC.
Mac OS 10.15.4

Thanks very much for this so much waited update.
My question :

Would it be possible to change the color of the spectral analyser, turn it into blue on dark blue for instance ?
There is some empty space in the settings bottom...
The update would be then just perfect !!!

I miss the option to choose 'Playback' as the input source that the Windows version has. Isn't this possible on Mac?

The Totalyser graph looks somewhat edgy on my displays - as if the dividing lines between the green blocks had different pixel widths. Anti-aliasing maybe? The old Windows version looks much cleaner.

Hackintosh, MacOS 10.15.4, i9-9900K, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte RX5700XT Gaming OC, UFX+

Not working (blank screen) on my Mac Pro 5.1 (2010) running 10.13.6 High Sierra, but i assume this is not a bug and i would need to upgrade the GPU (currently ATI Radeon HD 5770) for Metal Support, right?
https://i.ibb.co/q9WddLc/Bildschirmfoto-2020-05-14-um-13-13-20.png

d_r wrote:

i assume this is not a bug and i would need to upgrade the GPU (currently ATI Radeon HD 5770) for Metal Support, right?

Yep, that's the symptom of no Metal support for your GPU.

asimilon wrote:
d_r wrote:

i assume this is not a bug and i would need to upgrade the GPU (currently ATI Radeon HD 5770) for Metal Support, right?

Yep, that's the symptom of no Metal support for your GPU.

Funny, who would have thought that of all things RME compatibility would make me think about a GPU upgrade again?

To be fair, the previous Digicheck runs flawlessly on my old Mac, so no real problem ...

26 (edited by Liggy 2020-05-14 18:22:51)

Gonna download it and test it out.

However, i am surprised not see any oscilloscope. Many users who use DIGICheck are in psy trance genre who require top notch visualization tools, especially for kick and bass phase alignment. It would be useful to add in DIGICheck to work in multichannel mode where you can have several inputs in different colors.

EDIT : Started the software and i got this

https://ibb.co/2cJ8Pst

I am on late 2012 iMac 27', i5 29.ghz, 8GB ram, nvidia gtx 660m 512MB. but on Sierra. So only fix should be update to High Sierra? I planned to do it but just wanted to let you know.

27 (edited by djelonh 2020-05-14 19:05:38)

Liggy wrote:

I am on late 2012 iMac 27', i5 29.ghz, 8GB ram, nvidia gtx 660m 512MB. but on Sierra. So only fix should be update to High Sierra? I planned to do it but just wanted to let you know.

Same here on Catalina (see my recent post here)..
Solution until they fix it:
Right click on the right side of the window, uncheck Spectral analyser.

djelonh wrote:
Liggy wrote:

Same here on Catalina (see my recent post here)..
Solution until they fix it:
Right click on the right side of the window, uncheck Spectral analyser.

It seems multichannel + visualizer is the problem. I dont have any other glitches with other.

29 (edited by tzzsmk 2020-05-14 20:33:03)

djelonh wrote:

problem here ..
mac osx catalina 10.15.4
Screenshot

exact same problem here,
if I check Console for live errors, I can see: Digicheck NG - LSExceptions shared instance invalidated for timeout.
and also similar error message for Spotlight and Console

specs: hackintosh MacOS 10.13.6 (17G65) High Sierra, iMac Pro definition,
i7-5820K, 32GB ram, GTX 1080 Ti with nVidia Web Drivers, RME HDSPe AIO

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

Great news! Looks already pretty nice!

Suggestion: Would be great to "see" calibrated SPL levels of Mic inputs!

Cheers! Stay well & safe!

super cool - setting the display mode of the spectrum analyser to "point mode" is great..shows per band dynamic range. hypnotising too

Digicheck NG looks good and performs great. 70 dB range and phosphorescence in spectral analysis is nice. Thank you.

Input selection seems more limited than before. Two questions:
1. Can we select DSP hardware (input, playback, output) level metering in instruments that need only level data; e.g. two- and multi-channel meters? During live broadcasts, we closely watch input and playback levels; if we can only meter core audio input, it seemingly requires additional (playback->output) routing and (output->input) loopback.
2. Can we select AES L/R or MIC 1/2 input channels on our MADIface XT? We only see choices for MADI 1-192.

Craig Rich
Little Mountain Music

Little Mountain Music
MacOS 14.3.1, MADIface XT, 4 x OctaMic XTC, M-32 DA

33 (edited by morimagic 2020-05-15 12:12:34)

1-4 window to the need a snap
Good JOB! i like this new DC ,it's good work for ME

#macbook 15
#osx 10.14.6
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … amp;type=3

www.morimagic.com
made in Taiwan

Thank you all for your detailed feedback! Keep it coming! We will put as much of it as possible into the next preview version.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Afaik you could loopback the digital signal inside your computer. I've tried this yesterday with 3rd party app called "loopback" but didn't worked out well. Inside Digicheck NG I can only select the ADI 2 DAC as an input, loopback is not listed.. it's a bit annoying.

Another Option could be to route the analog line output via another converter back inside the ADI 2 DAC spdif input?

Maybe someone could help us and recommend a workout for digital loopback and DG NG.

mruebsamen wrote:
N00b wrote:
mruebsamen wrote:

Oops, does it mean Digicheck can "just" monitor input signals. I thought I could use for monitoring my DAW as well...

36 (edited by Logix 2020-05-15 09:37:10)

WOW, this is huge! I'm Lovin' It so far.

I'm using a 2nd screen for metering / analyzing but I didn't use the previous Digicheck because it felt outdated so I've used other 3rd party plugins for that.

I would be very happy to see:
Option to choose between smooth level meter bar or with lines like the older Totalyser level meter, and the option to change the lines thickness same as the Spectral Analyzer (Display Resolution - 0.5dB, 1.0dB, 2.0dB)

More color options for the Spectral Analyzer and level meters. the Yellow meter and Analyzer of the Black ADI2 DAC is amazing for example.

Option to make the background of the Spectral Analyzer darker or even fully black.

Other than these few things I think the new Digicheck is perfect. VERY good job RME

This is a solid new Digicheck.
Well first time i opened it, my macbook pro froze, but a restart got it working.
And then the thing to try to find out how to avoid it responding to the volyme at use, but i few moments got me past that.
Wish it had its own channel kind of thing, so it could be at working level all the time without changing if i use headphones or monitors. Now, using them on monitors i need headphones on full volyme.
But last Digicheck was the same so, ill guess it stays that way.

Yamaoka86 wrote:

Afaik you could loopback the digital signal inside your computer. I've tried this yesterday with 3rd party app called "loopback" but didn't worked out well. Inside Digicheck NG I can only select the ADI 2 DAC as an input, loopback is not listed.. it's a bit annoying.

Another Option could be to route the analog line output via another converter back inside the ADI 2 DAC spdif input?

Maybe someone could help us and recommend a workout for digital loopback and DG NG.

mruebsamen wrote:
N00b wrote:

I tried with loopback as well, but certainly it doesn't work and on the ADI2 DAC fs there is no Totalmix for Loopback inside the ADI2
But it really would be great to be able to monitor the Output as well...

can we expect a windows update as well?

Good job! Looks very good! Thanks for the preview version!
Now we can look forward to the upcoming updates and be curious what will be implemented!

I would like to add my opinion that it would make sense to show "Software Playback" and "Hardware Outputs" as well.

kind regards

hello

this new DC seems nice ! unfortunately, i'm stuck in 10.9.5, because of avid. so, DIGICheck 0.73 Mac is, AND WILL ALWAYS BE the last DC version for me, isn't it ?

cheers
all

42 (edited by gregd 2020-05-16 11:12:05)

This is really great to have, and worked well for me so far.

One suggestion - I remember the old DigiCheck also also being able to show digital input info (I recall using it to find out if a device was outputting 16 bits or more). Is this still possible in the current architecture?

Why do we need a (somewhat restrictive) layout box at all? We put each instrument in it's own window and use the OS desktop to size, arrange (even onto separate desktops), and snap together instruments at will. Are there performance or UI advantages to the layout box? Losing it would significantly simplify the UI.

Craig Rich
Little Mountain Music

Little Mountain Music

44 (edited by tzzsmk 2020-05-15 21:45:10)

carich wrote:

Why do we need a (somewhat restrictive) layout box at all? We put each instrument in it's own window and use the OS desktop to size, arrange (even onto separate desktops), and snap together instruments at will. Are there performance or UI advantages to the layout box? Losing it would significantly simplify the UI.

Craig Rich
Little Mountain Music

you can open multiple separate windows,
just press CMD + N for a new Digicheck window wink

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

Turning on K-System metering seems to set the related parameters' default values to the K-System, so when you turn off K-System metering it's still there. When we're not using the K-System, we're looking at noise floor, which is quite different. It was nice to easily switch between K-System and a default alternate, which now gets clobbered.

Craig Rich
Little Mountain Music

Little Mountain Music

Just amazing!

Barefoot Footprint 01 + Sennheiser HD650, DAC\ADC: RME UFX+

I've added input names for the Multichannel Level Meter but I had to make the text bigger than I wanted, I guess there is a limit to how many letters you can type (Was done by typing input name, than spaces and again next input name etc.)

https://i.ibb.co/VBp3pJf/Screen-Shot-2020-05-15-at-7-25-29-PM.png

after rebooting my mac, the windows of digicheck NG dont stay at the same place. i allways have to reload the digicheck ng workspace after rebooting or move the digicheck ng windows manually.is there a way to fix that? i dont get this problem when using the old digicheck.

Logix wrote:

I've added input names for the Multichannel Level Meter but I had to make the text bigger than I wanted, I guess there is a limit to how many letters you can type (Was done by typing input name, than spaces and again next input name etc.)

https://i.ibb.co/VBp3pJf/Screen-Shot-2020-05-15-at-7-25-29-PM.png

Yes, this is nice.
But it is not calibrated. If you change the window size, it won't fit anymore.

--> I like to have for this case an option for "stereo coupling" in the settings and one name slot for these two channels, instead of the numbers !  This, with the option to have it at top/bottom would be great !

50 (edited by Sensorica 2020-05-16 15:44:17)

Ideal for me with M, S & LUFS smile

https://sun1-30.userapi.com/H0xg-3S5MUd … yWFRGc.jpg

Barefoot Footprint 01 + Sennheiser HD650, DAC\ADC: RME UFX+