Topic: ADI-2 DAC direct connect to power amp

Hello,

I am looking at replacing my integrated amp for a pure power amp. Currenty I connect to RCA line in on the integrated.  On the new setup, I am curious as to whether I need to go through a pre-amp at all.  In essence I wonder if in fact the ADI-2 is in effect the preamp for my power amp. Do I lose anything or gain anything sonically by connecting directly to the power amp through ADI-2 RCA line out? The rule for at least 20 times impedance going from ADI-2 "out" to power amp "in" is met in the new configuration.

2 (edited by rpgroman 2020-05-01 20:34:46)

Re: ADI-2 DAC direct connect to power amp

I have my ADI-2 DAC connected directly to a Benchmark AHB2 power amp (via XLR).  The results are excellent.

Hi Tony!

Barring an actual NEED for the Analog inputs of a Pre, or Integrated amp, your plan to go direct from RME to your Amplifier is an excellent one!    Why add noise/distortion to the signal path with components that don't to be there?

I like your Plan.  Go for it!

Best!

Curt

PS:  Hi RP!!  smile

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Que pasa, Curt.....sounds like you're still hopping around the planet flyin' them aeroplanes.

Still lovin' my whole setup, btw!!

5 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-02 13:44:01)

tony@smartcommunity.ca wrote:

Hello,

I am looking at replacing my integrated amp for a pure power amp. Currenty I connect to RCA line in on the integrated.  On the new setup, I am curious as to whether I need to go through a pre-amp at all.  In essence I wonder if in fact the ADI-2 is in effect the preamp for my power amp. Do I lose anything or gain anything sonically by connecting directly to the power amp through ADI-2 RCA line out? The rule for at least 20 times impedance going from ADI-2 "out" to power amp "in" is met in the new configuration.

The simple answer is "yes", RME ADI-2 DAC or Pro FS makes a perfect fit to any power amp.

Skipping the pre-amplifier is removing a source of noise and distortion.
If you do not need the input source selection a preamp offers you get a cleaner path without.

For those reading along here:
The mentioned rule of 20, as ratio of load to source impedance, makes sense for only very special situations where the current drive capability of an output is very low, like with tube preamps.
Loading a tube preamp's output e.g. with to low impedance results in distortions and a bad low frequency response.

But still this so called rule of 20 is just a generalization and wants us to look more detailed into the situation.
BTW, technically we know this as the rule of 10, which simply characterizes voltage-matching (-interfacing), opposed to power-matching (-interfacing).

Anyway neither does apply here as the operational amplifier buffered output of the ADI-2s can drive almost any thinkable impedance, without negative side effects.

What matters is, if the interfacing voltages ADI to power amp fit together.
If this wasn't the case you get either noise or not enough drive on the power amp.

The ADI-2s are perfectly variable here with their different (even auto-) reference levels.

Specially the auto reference level is matching not only between different static setups.
Auto reference level also dynamically adapts to the users loudness demand to optimize signal to noise ratio without compromising maximum output level.

Thank you all for your thoughts - and so I will go direct to the amp.  Should be able to get it in and installed in about 30 days.

7 (edited by Siemak 2020-05-03 13:38:32)

Hi all.

My ADI DAC is connected XLR to Plinius power amp and I'm more than happy with the sound quality smile
I have Auto Ref Level - ON - as I trust ADI to do best job.
Anyway, I was always curious what the numbers say and wondering if these values are really best for me.
I never had opportunity to ask you this question guys, but finally I dared. I'm not techie engineer so please forgive me if that's all obvious for you.

My ADI shows Ref Level in steps as follows:

*    up to -21.5dBr VOL      -5dBu (auto)
*  -21 to -15.5dBr VOL      +1dBu (auto)
*  -15 to -9.5dBr VOL        +7dBu (auto)
*  -9 to 0dBr VOL              +13dBu(auto)

I normally listen at -50dBr VOL (not to disturb neighbours)
At -40dBr VOL - it starts to be loud(but nice smile  )
At -30dBr VOL - it is VERY loud and I never go over -30 (not to blow my speakers haha!)

I never heard any distortion (I believe).
I'm only asking to satisfy my curiosity and maybe learn something.

Are all these values showed good for me? Nothing there to improve?

Regards, Siemak

Plinius Power Amps have a bit higher gain then usual, they can reach full scale with lower voltage.

According to your figures you do not take advantage of ADI-2 DAC's Automatic Reference Level feature, you always stay in the lowest range.

Using a -20dB balanced pad could make better use of ADI-2 DAC's dynamic range.

But — I'd only suggest to go that route if you have audible noise from your speakers that does go away if you unplug ADI-2 DAC.

Further information on this from RME's Matthias Carstens:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Hi Siemak,

When we look at your figures, we see that your amp is very sensitive.
As KaiS said, you can buy pads to optimize your setting. I think that with -20 dB pads, you would optimize your SNR and always be in the best volume area of the ADI. And you wouldn't put your speakers at risks in case of a 0 dB accidental volume setting.

Please learn more in the link provided by KaiS smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

@Tony.  Keep us Posted!!

@Siemak. First off, I think you need to upgrade your Neighbors. big_smile.  But alas....I am in complete agreement with KaiS, and Noob regarding this matter.   -50 nominal listening level, really doesn't "Cash In" on your RME's full S/N potential.   Some inline attenuators (adjustable ones!) would be highly encouaraged.   In the end, MC has stated repeatedly the "O" is truly NOT necessary if noise isn't a problem....but IMO, -50 is pushing it.   Try to bring that up.

Pads would do that for you right now.

Best!!

Curt

https://www.thomann.de/de/jts_ma_123.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Siemak, and Tony!

The entire purpose of of this discussion is rooted in what is described as "Gain Staging"   Using Levels that deny Noise any chance, all without overloading the next amplification stage in the chain.    Solid material, rather than routine Audiophile BS. smile

Check this Wiki out to get a better understanding.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gain_stage

Peace!

Curt

Thank you all for your considered responses.  We just moved the knowledge bar higher.
The one last possible benefit is the the ADI has >120db channel separation. This compared to even 65db on integrated amp.
I am hoping that I will attain better soundstage imaging by feeding that 120db separation signal directly into a dual mono design power amp such as Musical Fidelity A3CR.

Kudos all!

14 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-04 15:06:59)

65dB channel separation is way more then enough for any change to the better is 100% inaudible.

If you are heading for better soundstage try finding a better position for your loudspeakers.
Optimized speaker placement is the single most source for improvements, way beyond what any change in the electronics department can give you.

Eg. placing speakers higher above the ground (on a pedestal) usually improves definition and soundstage by reducing the sound reflections coming from the floor.

Let's do a little test:
Let someone else, invisible for you, change the "Width" parameter back and forth from 100 to 99.
Can you hear any difference?
No?
Try a smaller number, like 95, 90, ...
Tell the value where you hear the difference, I'll tell you how much crosstalk that means, because that's what "Width" does, reducing channel separation.

Indeed, Tony you can trust that your RME would hardly be a limiting factor in terms of Separation.  As Kai illustrates, there is a "threshold of audibility" factor which deserves consideration.    Where Speaker position, etc is concerned, I too have been noted to be quite insistent on this!  How easy it is to spoil a wonderful Speaker with Poor Placement.  Be Picky!! 

On Topic, there is more than just "Technicals" involved with the Pads, Gain Staging, etc.  There's a "Safety Factor" !!!

When you routinely listen at -50... and then start flipping thru Set-Ups, and land upon one which references a FAR HIGHER Volume Setting...HANG ON!  You are you about to experience an Audio-Cardiological event of Epic Proportion!!    Your Speakers might break too.  Don't do that.  This can be remedied within Set-Ups, but one thing at a time.

Best to All

Curt

16 (edited by Siemak 2020-05-04 15:41:53)

Thank you guys for explaining. I'll go for attenuators and give it try. They ain't expensive after all.

This video was also helpful for me to understand gain stagging:

Gain Structure - Maximizing system dynamic range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HwmBdGGCdg

17 (edited by ezra-s 2020-05-04 19:00:28)

rpgroman wrote:

I have my ADI-2 DAC connected directly to a Benchmark AHB2 power amp (via XLR).  The results are excellent.

Hello, I am going to do do just that this friday, thing is, I am afraid, how have you set your volume directly to the power amp?

rca out connected to my pre-amplifier right now is a -3db, because when I plug the cd player and such I see that's the same lvl output the other devices send, but power amp has no volume so which will be the safe volume to set in xlr-out when I plug the amp in order to not blow my years, my head and the speakers in the process?

I am more or less in the case of the op.

I have an integrated amplifier to which I connect via rca output, and I will use xlr out to connect to the new power amp. Still not sure If I can plug both and such.

18 (edited by N00b 2020-05-04 19:20:18)

ezra-s wrote:
rpgroman wrote:

Hello, I am going to do do just that this friday, thing is, I am afraid, how have you set your volume directly to the power amp?

rca out connected to my pre-amplifier right now is a -3db, because when I plug the cd player and such I see that's the same lvl output the other devices send, but power amp has no volume so which will be the safe volume to set in xlr-out when I plug the amp in order to not blow my years, my head and the speakers in the process?

I have an integrated amplifier to which I connect via rca output, and I will use xlr out to connect to the new power amp. Still not sure If I can plug both and such.

Hi ezra-s!

If you have an integrated amplifier, it features a preamp (volume, source selection etc.) and a power amp. So you will use the ADI just as a DAC (volume locked at 0 dB at a fix level output). The volume will be set on the integrated amp.

If you have a power amp, you need a preamp; and the ADI-2 DAC is an excellent one (if you don't have analog sources). So if your ADI is attached to a power amp, set the Auto Vol Ref to ON, put the volume low, play some music and crank the volume up gently smile
In this case, the RME is the preamp, and you will select source and set volume on it smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

19 (edited by ezra-s 2020-05-05 14:04:25)

N00b wrote:
ezra-s wrote:
rpgroman wrote:

Hi ezra-s!

If you have an integrated amplifier, it features a preamp (volume, source selection etc.) and a power amp. So you will use the ADI just as a DAC (volume locked at 0 dB at a fix level output). The volume will be set on the integrated amp.

If you have a power amp, you need a preamp; and the ADI-2 DAC is an excellent one (if you don't have analog sources). So if your ADI is attached to a power amp, set the Auto Vol Ref to ON, put the volume low, play some music and crank the volume up gently smile
In this case, the RME is the preamp, and you will select source and set volume on it smile

Thanks so much will do just that.

additional question.
So having my DAC to -3db is wrong when connected to the integratet amp? I matched that volume to the coaxial out volume of my cdplayer, so I thought that would be the ideal setting.

20 (edited by N00b 2020-05-05 16:56:26)

ezra-s wrote:

additional question.
So having my DAC to -3db is wrong when connected to the integratet amp? I matched that volume to the coaxial out volume of my cdplayer, so I thought that would be the ideal setting.

Nothing wrong here! And good and clever method smile Your CD player output should be around 2 V RMS (8,2 dBu), the hi-fi standard.

Concerning levels, the ideal is to be the higher possible without overloading the amp input.
You can start by the manual recommandations (p. 62):

Which level setting is recommended?
There are a total of four hardware reference levels available, with the XLR output having a 6 dB
higher level. With Hi-Fi the setting +7 dBu (equals +4.78 dBV or 1.73 V RMS) is recommended.
This setting causes an ADI-2 DAC to output level similar to that of many CD-players. In case it
is still too low simply change to +13 dBu (+10.8 dBV, 3.46 V RMS).

Or you can check the input sensitivity of your amp. In a perfect world, the 0 dB on your ADI volume control should reach the input sensitivity of your amp.

You can convert volts to dBu on this great tool: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

21 (edited by ezra-s 2020-05-05 21:14:43)

N00b wrote:
ezra-s wrote:

additional question.

Nothing wrong here! And good and clever method smile Your CD player output should be around 2 V RMS (8,2 dBu), the hi-fi standard.

Concerning levels, the ideal is to be the higher possible without overloading the amp input.
You can start by the manual recommandations (p. 62):

Which level setting is recommended?
There are a total of four hardware reference levels available, with the XLR output having a 6 dB
higher level. With Hi-Fi the setting +7 dBu (equals +4.78 dBV or 1.73 V RMS) is recommended.
This setting causes an ADI-2 DAC to output level similar to that of many CD-players. In case it
is still too low simply change to +13 dBu (+10.8 dBV, 3.46 V RMS).

Or you can check the input sensitivity of your amp. In a perfect world, the 0 dB on your ADI volume control should reach the input sensitivity of your amp.

You can convert volts to dBu on this great tool: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

Amazing!! You seem to know a great deal of this and I am pretty much lost in this world big_smile

My RME is has autoref lvl on, which says +13dBu, I set it to volume 0dBr and it sounds great still, so it seems I am good for now, not sure if to keep increasing it and see or I may break something.

My integrated amp is a moon 220i, with specs (if we believe them):

Configuration ......................................................... Stereo
Class Of Operation - Amplifier .................................. Class A/B
Single-ended inputs ................................................. 5 (RCA)
Mini-jack input ........................................................ 1 (1/8”)
Input Sensitivity ..................................................... 370mV – 3.0V RMS
Input Impedance ................................................... 11,000Ω
Preamplifier output ................................................. 1 (RCA)
Headphone output ................................................... 1 ( 1/4” Strereo TRS)
Output Power @ 8Ω ................................................ 40 Watts per channel
Output Power @ 4Ω ................................................ 80 Watts per channel
Output Impedance .................................................. 0.04Ω
Damping Factor ...................................................... > 200
Signal-to-noise Ratio .............................................. 101dB @ full power
Maximum Output Voltage ........................................ 20 Volts
Slew Rate ............................................................... 20V/μs
Maximum Current Output ......................................... 14 amperes
Frequency Response .............................................. 10Hz - 100kHz +0/-3dB
Crosstalk @ 1kHz ................................................... -78dB
Intermodulation Distortion ...................................... < 0.07%
THD (20Hz - 20kHz @ 1 watt) ................................ < 0.015%
THD (20Hz - 20kHz @ 40 watts) ............................ < 0.03%

I wish I knew how to use that calc or know which values to set in which area but I am totally cluless big_smile

What I think I got is the the third column of the calc?

I set "voltage V" to 3.0 based on "Input Sensitivity ..................................................... 370mV – 3.0V RMS"
which gives
Level Lu 11.760912593 dBu
Level Lv 9.542425094 dBV

Still not sure what volume to set in the RME, since it says dBr

When I get the Behringer A800 and plug the XLR cables to it this may be a nightmare too...anyways in this case I'll do as you said to be safe! big_smile

22 (edited by N00b 2020-05-05 19:11:52)

Don't worry, you'll figure it out!

You are right: 3 V RMS, so if I were you, I would:
- Turn off the Auto-Ref-Level (useful only if you use the ADI as a preamp; here it is only a DAC).
- Set the hardware level to +13 dBu (in the IO menu).
- Set the volume to -2 dBr (with the volume pot). (dBr= dB relative) Your level will be at 13 dBu-2 dB(r)= +11 dBu: close enough!
- Lock the volume (in the IO menu)

and you are set!

Fot the Behringer, it will be the same: you will have to check its sensitivity and that's done. You know how to do it now.
Just be aware that with XLR, the levels are 6 dB higher (if you are at +13 dBu with RCA, you are at +19 dBu with XLR).

N00b wrote:

- Turn off the Auto-Ref-Level (useful only if you use the ADI as a preamp; here it is only a DAC).
- Set the volume to -2 dBr (with the volume pot). (dBr= dB relative) Your level will be at 13 dBu-2 dB(r)= +11 dBu: close enough!

and you are set!

Fot the Behringer, it will be the same: you will have to check its sensitivity and that's done. You know how to do it now.
Just be aware that with XLR, the levels are 6 dB higher (if you are at +13 dBu with RCA, you are at +19 dBu with XLR).

Thanks a lot for the tips, greatly appreciated !!

ezra-s wrote:
N00b wrote:

and you are set!

You are welcome!

And with the Behringer, because it’s a power amplifier, you will reactivate the Auto-Vol-Ref, unlock the volume and use the volume pot of the RME: it will work as a preamplifier.

N00b wrote:
ezra-s wrote:
N00b wrote:

and you are set!

You are welcome!

And with the Behringer, because it’s a power amplifier, you will reactivate the Auto-Vol-Ref, unlock the volume and use the volume pot of the RME: it will work as a preamplifier.

Indeed , I paid a lot attention to that you said, I worried about blowing my ears and the speakers in the process if not, because that little beast gives too much power but will let me play around with setups and see what class d is about.

Cheers!

Ezra/Tony,

Relax!  Nobody is going to "Pop" anything. smile

When you have your Gear connected, just turn your Volume WAY down, and using your favorite Music Material, ease the Volume up.    Two(2) points in that range of interest to me. 1) The "Happy" point where we would find ourselves typically listening. and the 2) OH NO!! Point where things are getting just too loud.    Make note of those points (Vol Display #) and let us know. 

With that information, we can make a logical suggestion.   It COULD also be...you need nothing to be changed!   Price:  Free.

Whoever in Audio ever told either of you that?  smile

Keep us Posted.  Thanks!

Curt

27 (edited by ezra-s 2020-05-13 19:26:21)

Curt962 wrote:

Ezra/Tony,

Relax!  Nobody is going to "Pop" anything. smile

When you have your Gear connected, just turn your Volume WAY down, and using your favorite Music Material, ease the Volume up.    Two(2) points in that range of interest to me. 1) The "Happy" point where we would find ourselves typically listening. and the 2) OH NO!! Point where things are getting just too loud.    Make note of those points (Vol Display #) and let us know. 

With that information, we can make a logical suggestion.   It COULD also be...you need nothing to be changed!   Price:  Free.

Whoever in Audio ever told either of you that?  smile

Keep us Posted.  Thanks!

Curt

Hey Curt962, thanks for your kind and friendly offering, so here it goes...

My behringer a800 is here, quite affordable and not poisoning too much the impecable sound that comes from the RME from what I am able to perceive, so I am enjoying it tons now! and they seem to drive my speakers greatly so, double happy.

now the information you ask...

As I think I mentioned earlier, I use XLR out of RME to connect to this AMP.

As N00b suggested me, I have set auto ref level on with it, unlock the volume and I am usually using it at -35dBr for extended listening and to -25dBr volume generally not so long but very confortable, generally at these levels the current power indicator do not even getting lit.

Past -25dbR it starts to get too loud for extended listening, but I generally push to even -10dBr and such for the good songs, at -1dBR it is definetly too loud for me , leds of the power indicator get to very high.

Also note my listening room is small (11m2), so It doesn't take too much volume to "fill it up".

As for the more relebant specs of the amp as advertised:

Output circuit type Class-D
Distortion (4 Ω @ 150 W @ 1 kHz) <0.08 %
Damping factor >160 @ 8 Ω
Frequency response @ -10 dB below rated output power 20 Hz to 20 kHz, +0/-1 dB
Frequency response @ -3 dB 10 Hz to 30 kHz
Signal-to-noise >100 dB (A weighted, 20 Hz to 20 kHz)
Voltage gain @ level control max Balanced: 30 dB / RCA: 41 dB
Input sensitivity @ level control max XLR: +4 dBu / RCA: -10 dBV
Input impedance
XLR / ¼ " TRS 20 kΩ, balanced / 10 kΩ, unbalanced

Also note I set both Behringer A800 gain volume notches to 50%.

Cheers and thank you!

28 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-13 19:25:33)

Ezra,

Do you hear any noise?  (excluding: noise in the recording itself)    Anything?

Assuming you hear NO noise, we could just leave everything alone as is.  Me?  I'd feel better if our Vol was a bit higher at our normal listening levels.   There's also a Safety Margin there.   Helpful when Cousin Anslo comes over, and starts pushing buttons. smile   

Were you so inclined, a set of -20db Pads would be perfect...OR!  We could do the EZ thing and turn DOWN the input level control on the Amp to a level which allows the RME Vol to be run higher. 

Cool!

Happy Listening!

Curt

29 (edited by ezra-s 2020-05-13 19:41:15)

Curt962 wrote:

Ezra,

Do you hear any noise?  (excluding: noise in the recording itself)    Anything?

Assuming you hear NO noise, we could just leave everything alone as is.  Me?  I'd feel better if our Vol was a bit higher at our normal listening levels.   There's also a Safety Margin there.   Helpful when Cousin Anslo comes over, and starts pushing buttons. smile   

Were you so inclined, a set of -20db Pads would be perfect...OR!  We could do the EZ thing and turn DOWN the input level control on the Amp to a level which allows the RME Vol to be run higher. 

Cool!

Happy Listening!

Curt

Hello again

I hear no noise, or if any barely to be noticeable or that could even get to ever bother, I would need pretty sensitive ears. My loudspeakers, buchardt s400 are not very sensitive either, so no hiss or anything.

Care to explain the reasons of what you are saying? Which is the ideal volume levels of the DAC I should be setting?

I could perfectly turn down the gain level control in the amp , in fact I am not sure how to set them for maximun results with the DAC so that's why I went 50% smile

I think my kids won't come and play witht he DAC or amp so... no issues with that big_smile

Edit: Also take into consideration I am totally clueless regarding technical stuff, so I dont know what are -20dB pads or "EZ thing"

30 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-13 19:54:42)

We're setting them for Maximum Results with the DAC with this little Gain Staging exercise. smile

Technically Speaking, we would be at the theoretical IDEAL S/N were the DAC Volume at 0db.    That's really splitting hairs though, and we dont hear any noise so, it is just academic at this point.   I like to see things getting a bit LOUD at -10 or -5.   Not -25 or -30.     

See your ADI-2.DAC User Manual for a discussion on this matter. 

You're almost there!!!

Curt

31 (edited by ezra-s 2020-05-13 23:01:35)

mm I answered but dont know for sure where the answer went... don't see it in the thread.

Anyways, will try tomorrow, set amp gain as low as possible and try to get RME to get loud at those points.

Thanks for the tips!

No problem Ezra. 

I feel good!  This looks like a set up we can optimize (electrically) without spending another Bleedin' Cent at the HiFi Shop.   

Best Regards,

Curt
BS Busters Inc.

ezra-s wrote:

[...]
Edit: Also take into consideration I am totally clueless regarding technical stuff, so I dont know what are -20dB pads or "EZ thing"

Pads are attenuator that you plug between the DAC and your amp (those babies for example).
Please see that topic:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

EZ: means "easy" wink Young blokes like Curt in the US write it that way  big_smile

34 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-14 00:56:15)

Sorry Ezra,  I didn't get a notification before the Illustrious "N00b" did. smile

EZ Way:  Decreasing the input sensivity of your Amp via it's level control.   Exactly the same as using a Pad/Attenuator.  The beauty here, is this level control saves you a trip to the HiFi Shop.   Not all Amps have this feature.

Hang on Buddy!  You're on the Right Path.  We'll get this Dialed in nicely!

We're not all "Mean", and "Angry" ex-audiophiles here Ezra. smile  (excluding myself) This is a Technical Forum, and we're all delighted to help you along with your completely legitimate question.   
We're just about there in your Set Up!

When we can send you happily on your way using only the tools at our disposal...we all win!   The only requirement is that you understand what we did, and how we got there.  With that understanding, then you have gained much in your Forum Participation, and can apply that knowledge to ANY situation you might encounter.  Make Sense?

Best,

Curt

Thanks @N00b
I understand what pads are now in this case.

@Curt962

as you mentioned I set the gain of the amp for left and right to about 10% and now I RME is at about -10dBr when I listen to music loud but confortable, getting the most of the dynamic range I can get.. right? smile

As for the rest you mention, I am delighted with you guys, this is a most helpful community and I hope I can give some of that back, specially on tips like those you have given me to get the most of the dynamic range of this special little device we all know, the RME ADI-2 DAC.

I bought it as an endgame for me because I was not willing to spend more perhaps in a very long time in any other device... and now the more I use it.. the more I enjoy having it, and not only that, even the most demanding objectivists find it amazing, so in general it is an absolute pleasure of a device.

Thanks thanks!

36 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-14 23:21:29)

Ezra,

Seems you have all nicely under control! 

Fantastic!!

Happy Listening!

Curt

BTW:  Ezra, did anyone explain to you the Glories of the "Dynamic Loudness" feature of  the ADI-2 DAC?   THAT!  My friend, is a MUST-HAVE!!   Very Cool.    It's located in the IO Menu of your DAC.  Do it!!  smile

Curt962 wrote:

Ezra,

BTW:  Ezra, did anyone explain to you the Glories of the "Dynamic Loudness" feature of  the ADI-2 DAC?   THAT!  My friend, is a MUST-HAVE!!   Very Cool.    It's located in the IO Menu of your DAC.  Do it!!  smile

ahhh, you tease...

please tell us how you configured that and your experience with it, last night after reading your comment I grabbed the manual and read about the loudness section.

A few questions come to mind... Trebel/Bass Quality factor? How to set bass freq?

Also, I generally tend to prefer neutral sound but since I am generally very close to the speakers (nearfield they call it?) I usually suffer lack of bass due to that proximity, so I have been tempted to play with loudness sometimes... perhaps it is the right time now? smile

38 (edited by ramses 2020-05-19 11:51:22)

If you use Bass/Treble and/or PEQ and maybe even dynamic Loudness, then please keep in mind,
that this has an effect to the volume of audio and by this on the voltage on the output.

If it is too high, then you can overload your output or the the input on the other side (either pre-amp or amp)
so that it can come to little distortion (what you even might not hear/notice).
If it is too low, then you loose SNR / Dynamic.

Best is to use Auto Ref Level in this case, because it honors all this and uses the best possible Reference Level,
so that you do not overload something and also do not loose any dynamic.

I can give you an excel for this, which is useful to find the proper setting as it also contains the proper Volt values.
All you need to know is whats the maximum Level in Volt, that your Preamps or Amps inputs require.

Then you can see in the excel to what level you need to reduce the level on the DAC and then you should remember this value and not go over that value .. for me it was 2.5V on the inputs of the balanced inputs of the preamp/power amp.
So I need to use -14, for practical reasons I choosed -15 dBu, easier to remember.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

39 (edited by KaiS 2023-07-28 00:17:00)

Loudness is for listening at significantly lower level then usual.
It's meant to keep the perceived bass/midrange/treble balance as independent from listening level as possible.

The procedure below works the other way round than described in the DAC’s manual page 14.
I assume that at "normal" and slighly below listening level an unchanged, "No Loudness" sound is prefered.

• Basic Setup:
Determin your "normal" listening level's dB value.
This may vary slightly depending on the source and music.
Estimate an average "normal" dB value.
• Do all settings needed for this to sound best, EQ, Bass, Treble ...
• Set the Loudness "Low Vol Ref" 25 dB below this "normal" listening dB value.
This way Loudness correction kicks in 5dB below normal listening level, leaving all above untouched.

• Fine-Tuning:
Now dial down to your usual "low" listening level.
•  Adjust Bass and Treble Gain to an amount that the bass/midrange/treble balance sounds comparable to what you hear at your "normal" level.
Go back and forth beween levels to check.
• Now listen at different levels again and fine-tune the Low Vol Ref.
The higher "Low Vol Ref" is set, the stronger the Loudness effect.
Don't go above 20dB below your "normal" dB value, or Loudness will effect your normal listening instead of doing it's primary job, keeping the sound balanced at lower levels.

To give you figures:
My "normal" listening level: -18dBr (Auto Ref Level on)
Loudness Bass Gain: 9.5dB
Loudness Treble Gain: 7.5dB
Loudness Low Vol Ref: -42dB (Loudness kicks in at -22dBr)

With different sensitive headphones, speaker setups, different loud sources or music, "normal" listening dB value has to be re-determined and "Low Vol Ref" adjusted accordingly.

Finally to mention:
1. Q-factor and frequency is not user-adjustable in the Loudness setup.
Loudness works with it's own factory preset values, DAC manual page 59.
Q and f is in the separate Bass/Treble control only.

2. Loudness is NOT the right tool to correct transducer flaws.

40 (edited by ezra-s 2020-05-19 11:53:34)

ramses wrote:

...I can give you an excel for this, which is useful to find the proper setting as it also contains the proper Volt values.
All you need to know is whats the maximum Level in Volt, that your Preamps or Amps inputs require...

I'd gladly take that excel sheet if you want to share it.

Also @KaiS, thanks a lot for the tips, I can definetly get advantage of these tips and settings from you and ramses.

Your feedback is invaluable to get the most ouf of this DAC!! Will try playing with these tonight!!

41 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-19 11:56:39)

Ezra,

To provide a Scientic Basis to describe the actual function of the Dynamic Loudness feature, refer to this overview of the Fletcher-Munson Studies of the 1930s.  This research concluded that as listening levels decrease, Human Hearing Acuity diminishes in a predictable manner. 

https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/fletcher-munson-curve/

To this end, Dynamic Loudness is a VERY USEFUL tool to preserve our perception of balanced, full-range sound over a wide range of Volume Settings.   Dynamic Loudness is NOT a fixed EQ, but rather one that varies depending on your chosen Volume setting.    The RME/AKM implementation of same must surely be the FIRST time it has been done correctly in an Audio Product.  I love it!!

Refer to your manual for guidance on its use. 

Enjoy!!

Curt

42 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-19 12:19:47)

Curt962 wrote:

... Dynamic Loudness is a VERY USEFUL tool to preserve our perception of balanced, full-range sound over a wide range ... Dynamic Loudness is NOT a fixed EQ, but rather one that varies depending on your chosen Volume setting.    The RME/AKM implementation of same must surely be the FIRST time it has been done correctly in an Audio Product...

Yamaha had this from the early 80's in their HiFi-amps in a quite comparable way by separating (continous) Loudness and Volume controls, with the "Loudness Control" meant to vary between louder and quieter listening.

With every split Preamp/Poweramp configuration you could and can do the same if the poweramp has input level controls.

Few people did understand the functionality at that time, and music was recorded with less bass and treble, so Loudness mostly crippled to a Bass/Treble boost.

Curt962 wrote:

Or refer to my guide above smile

43 (edited by ezra-s 2020-05-19 12:36:30)

KaiS wrote:

Curt962 wrote:

Or refer to my guide above smile

Invaluable advice/guide btw, thank you so much!!! Tinkered it a bit now but will do more when I'm off work hours big_smile

Before reading this thread, I thought dynamic loudness was a feature easy to use!! tongue big_smile

45 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-19 16:49:53)

N00b wrote:

Before reading this thread, I thought dynamic loudness was a feature easy to use!! tongue big_smile

It is, one way, if you don't care about the result - as generations of music listeners did - take it as a switch that boost bass and treble, making overall sound louder, fuller.

It still is if you follow my cookbook.
To get the full benefit just a little bit of tuning is needed.

It's like fastfood vs a selfcooked meal.

46 (edited by N00b 2020-05-19 17:22:59)

KaiS wrote:
N00b wrote:

It is, one way, if you don't care about the result - as generations of music listeners did - take it as a switch that boost bass and treble, making overall sound louder, fuller.

It still is if you follow my cookbook.
To get the full benefit just a little bit of tuning is needed.

It's like fastfood vs a selfcooked meal.

I use it for its original purpose and correctly set it when I received the ADI with the help of the manual (your perfect cookbook wasn't available then wink ).
I started with finding the low reference level (2 tries with 2 sources: 5 mn) and made some tests for the boost. I ended with +8/+8 dB at -45 dB.

I struggle a little with level because my TV level with the Netflix app is lower than my other devices, but the -45 dB is a good compromise for me, and perfectly set for the music (my main use).

And for making the sound fuller for young ignorants who like fastfood, the B/T knobs are more convenient than the dynamic loudness IMHO.

KaiS wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

... Dynamic Loudness is a VERY USEFUL tool to preserve our perception of balanced, full-range sound over a wide range ... Dynamic Loudness is NOT a fixed EQ, but rather one that varies depending on your chosen Volume setting.    The RME/AKM implementation of same must surely be the FIRST time it has been done correctly in an Audio Product...

Yamaha had this from the early 80's in their HiFi-amps in a quite comparable way by separating (continous) Loudness and Volume controls, with the "Loudness Control" meant to vary between louder and quieter listening.

With every split Preamp/Poweramp configuration you could and can do the same if the poweramp has input level controls.

Few people did understand the functionality at that time, and music was recorded with less bass and treble, so Loudness mostly crippled to a Bass/Treble boost.

I don't know if this is what you mean, but some devices in the current range of Yamaha amplifier have a variable loudness setting, like this AS-301 knob: smile

https://fr.yamaha.com/fr/files/95D491175D6D47049B2C9932C51C3874_12074_240x226_6904763ce6926ca600e319663aa94720.jpg

Yes, you pre-set the audio level with the volume knob.
Then control the final loudness with the "LOUDNESS" control.
In the result quite close to the RME variant.

Funny sidenote:
I effectively could get a balanced sound impression over a wide volume range using RME's Loudness.
Despite that, it feels unnatural to me NOT to have the sound change when dialing down the volume.
As an audio professional I am so used to it!

N00b wrote:

And it normally is.  smile

@ezra:  Just set your Low Vol Ref (IO Menu) at 20db BELOW your normal Listening level.   Feel free to experiment with a few db higher/lower.  20db is simply the suggested value given in the User Manual.   Now when you DIM the volume to answer the phone, or sit down to a semi-peaceful dinner...things will still sound full bodied.   No intellectual gymnastics required. big_smile

Have Fun,  and Enjoy!

Curt

I'm on it now, tweaking, since I am slow it will take a while until I am sure I like what I'm getting and the sweet spot of it. Ramses sent me his cool excell, so I need to check it out too.