1 (edited by Chi 2020-05-27 08:36:18)

Topic: UFX+ with SSL Alpha-Link MADI AX 24

Hello,

Noob question here. I've got a good deal on an SSL Alpha-Link MADI AX 24. I have an RME UFX+ and my plan is as follows...

Because my PC does not currently support Thunderbolt I would like to pair the UFX+ with the SSL via ADAT. I'm hoping that I can then route the 16 analogue ins/outs via ADAT to and from the UFX+. I'd then like to connect the analogue ins/outs of the SSL to a patchbay using D-sub => TRS cables. Does this sound like it should work?

Lastly, If this is a feasible configuration, I'm not sure about clocking. Do I need the UFX+ to be the master and SSL the slave? Do I need to connect them using the BNC connections to transmit wordclock?

Would be grateful for any advice on this approach.

Tnx

2 (edited by b4rth 2020-05-27 12:14:13)

Re: UFX+ with SSL Alpha-Link MADI AX 24

The clocking should work just via ADAT as well. But if you have a working USB3 port, you could test that as well and then use the MADI connection to use the full 24IO. D-SUB to TRS is no problem. Be sure to use a balanced patchbay to keep the signals balanced (if you want that). Hope this helps. With regards to the clocking, in my experience clocking via RME gives the most reliable results. Maybe that a dedicated clock could improve it, but I don't think that is neccesary for this configuration.

3 (edited by Chi 2020-05-27 15:27:19)

b4rth wrote:

The clocking should work just via ADAT as well. But if you have a working USB3 port, you could test that as well and then use the MADI connection to use the full 24IO. D-SUB to TRS is no problem. Be sure to use a balanced patchbay to keep the signals balanced (if you want that). Hope this helps. With regards to the clocking, in my experience clocking via RME gives the most reliable results. Maybe that a dedicated clock could improve it, but I don't think that is neccesary for this configuration.

Many thanks!

Good call on trying the USB3 port - I think I read that my MOBO has some ASMedia 3.1 Controllers (unsupported) and a couple of Intel 3.0 Controllers that might work if i'm lucky.

Are you saying that across ADAT there shouldn't be a need for any additional cables for clocking? Is this only something to look at when using MADI?

Again thank you for the help smile

Try the Intel. ASMedia won't work I think. For USB3 via Intel or even better via a seperate PCI usb card with a Fresco Chipset should work. But if it isn't working for you, you could consider to try Thunderbolt. For me USB3 didn't work for long sessions. TB does.

ADAT clocking can be done via the RME via the so called ADAT sync. This will be an automatic process if I recall it correctly. Just use two ADAT cables per unit and you are good to go.

Wordclock:
Well, I never used wordclock for only conversion. I can imagine you want to use this if you use other digital products apart from conversion or if you use two PCI Hammerfalls? Back in the day I started with RME HDSP9652 and three ADAT expanders. They clocked perfectly via the Hammerfall (HDSP9652). I now use two ADAT converters and one MADI without any problems and without Wordclock via Thunderbolt. So I use MADI sync via the RME UFX+ and ADAT sync as well.

b4rth wrote:

Try the Intel. ASMedia won't work I think. For USB3 via Intel or even better via a seperate PCI usb card with a Fresco Chipset should work. But if it isn't working for you, you could consider to try Thunderbolt. For me USB3 didn't work for long sessions. TB does.

Was it the Fresco chipset you were using when things went awry on long sessions?

b4rth wrote:

ADAT clocking can be done via the RME via the so called ADAT sync. This will be an automatic process if I recall it correctly. Just use two ADAT cables per unit and you are good to go.

That's great - I have been using ADAT with an old hammerfall multiface and I didn't remember having to setup anything with clocks for that.

b4rth wrote:

I now use two ADAT converters and one MADI without any problems and without Wordclock via Thunderbolt. So I use MADI sync via the RME UFX+ and ADAT sync as well.

Fanatastic - this sounds like it should work for me too then - I won't have any other digital devices in the chain.

Cool Chi, let us know how it goes.

With regards to your question, I do think it is the X-99A board that isn't that good and the other USB stuff I am using (midi interfaces, usb midi keyboard, mouse) was interfering is my guess. It was the Fresco FL1100 chipset after I tried the onboard Intel USB3 ports and most of the times after like 30minutes it kicked in. I did solve a few things with tweaking and changing the BIOS, the drivers, changing from a HID-mouse to a classic non-HID mouse, etc etc. But in the end MC convinced me to try TB and that is now working rock solid for me, so I don't wanna look back :-)

So tbh it really depends on what type of motherboard/chipset/cpu/memory/gfx (ie config) you have...