Topic: adding playback busses vs hardware outputs

So I am confused on how I was able to just do what I did.  I went to totalmix and added a software playback channel for AN 5/6 and called it GUITAR BUSS.

Then in Cubase 9.0.40 PRO I added a bus and picked OUTPUT 5/6 and.. IT WORKS.  When I play back and select it, it comes out of software playback 5/6.

How is it that Cubase is not using the PHYSICAL OUTPUTS of 5/6 and knows to use the SOFTWARE PLAYBACK channels?

Re: adding playback busses vs hardware outputs

I guess why I am confused on this is because the FW400 has PHYSICAL outputs 1/2 3/4 5/6 and 7/8 (which are headphones).

I have studio monitors on 1/2 and on 3/4.

In cubase, in the VST CONNECTIONS area, you can choose and make your outputs.  My STEREO OUT is Analog 1 and Analog 2.

So when I added this new out bus for Analog 5/6, how is cubase not just routing sound to the PHYSICAL outputs like if i had another set of monitors or sent to some kind of outboard geear... how does it nkow to play those back?  It's somewhat confusing to me.

3 (edited by ramses 2020-06-19 16:24:53)

Hi Nate,

let me guess, takes some time to fully digest it wink But relax, you are on a good way :-)

> How is it that Cubase is not using the PHYSICAL OUTPUTS of 5/6 and knows to use the SOFTWARE PLAYBACK channels?

The DAW thinks it sends to the physical output ..

But the TM FX software design adds this layer in between ("SW playback channels") that empower you
to have more control about the final routing.

Normally you would think, audio will be send out through HW output AN 5/6 ...
EDIT: This BTW would be the case in the "DAW mode" (this is a stripped down operational mode which deactivates all these TM FX routing features).

But with TM FX you have now this very nice freedom to be able to send this audio to whatever output(s) you want on your recording interface.

And this makes sense .. each HW output is a submix of its own.
So for Monitor A, Monitor B, Phones 1 ..4 (remember e.g. all the assignments in the control room) you can pick now from
SW playback channels what you want to make the perfect submix for each of your band members phones.
The one wants perhaps the guitars louder, the other drums or bass ...
All is possible by that.

Or keep it simple and simply route SW Playback AN 5/6 to HW Output AN 5/6 ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ok holy shit so this is an rme specific thing?   just could not grasp how cubase was "smart" enough to know that i intended that output 5/6 to be a "virtual" guitar buss!!

so let me ask then... do crappier , lower end cards that do not use the insane total mix genius level coding, actually send stuff to the OUTPUTS and the user has no choice in the matter?  this is CRAZY.

5 (edited by ramses 2020-06-19 16:28:36)

Other vendors have nothing compareble to RME TotalMix FX ...
If you do not want this routing capabilities in TM FX then you can even turn this off by enabling another operational mode called "DAW mode". This is for people who do not want this flexibility of TM FX. Then you route simply in the DAW and then you have only inputs and outputs, no SW playback channels anymore (how boaring).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ok thanks!!  this helps clear it up and just shows even more how ridiculous the RME stuff is.  I have completely abandoned the idea of getting any other brand of interface and will stick with my geriatric fireface400 15 year old device because it works so well.

its *crazy* how all of this stuff ties together.  before this I have had ECHO GINA 24 (haha so old!), Maudio ozonic, presonus something focusrite saffier40?, emu 1212m, audient id22....  none of them do any of the crazy stuff rme can do.