Topic: Fireface UFX: Reverb/Delay unusable

Hello, I've tried a search and found some related threads but none had a solution.
I've recently picked up a used Fireface UFX and I am having issues with the effects built in. When I try to use the Reverb or Delay in TotalMix FX, I get nothing but white noise. The meters peg full red and I get white noise out of my monitors. Does not matter what source I route to the FX channel, level of that source, or if I have no source routed to the FX bus at all. 

here's the firmware stats:

USB: 357
DSP: 1.63
Firewire: 344
Class Compliant: 28

Running on Mac OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan
Fireface UFX connected via USB.

Any direction to solve this would be wonderful.

Re: Fireface UFX: Reverb/Delay unusable

Check the Test Result (=errors) stated under Hardware&Diagnosis in the unit's menu.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

When I check the Hardware/Diagnosis page in the Options I can scroll through the Test Results. I'm not sure if I'm checking the correct thing, or if the test results are per channel. However the results that I can look at are here:

FFFF
FFFF

The EQ and Dynamics work flawlessly and sound great. All the channels sound great as well, it's just in the Reverb and Echo portions of the DSP.

When I originally connected the unit, I am not aware what the Firmware versions were, but the Reverb gave me a small amount of crackling noise when it was engaged. It didn't do much else, and certainly did not present any 'reverb' type effect to the signal. The Echo did basically nothing. I upgraded the firmware DSP to 1.62 and the Reverb behaved the same. However, with that version, the Echo gave me massive amounts of White noise and pegged the FX Out meter to full red, both channels when engaged. I upgraded the firmware again to 1.63 on the DSP, and the results flip flopped. The Reverb gives me massive White noise and pegs the FX Out meters to full red, while the Echo only presents static noise but it doesn't kill the signal like the Reverb does.

This is a hardware error, either DSP or RAM no longer working correctly. The first numbers should all be 0. Usually either DSP or RAM has to be exchanged, and for this the unit has to be returned for service. As you can imagine this kind of service is not cheap...

When EQ works and only Echo/Reverb shows a problem then the RAM is defective. You still need to send the unit in for hardware repair.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you MC for all the help. It's very much appreciated to get good support. I will check for local service center and go from there.

6 (edited by jindrich.k 2020-05-18 11:26:54)

Hello,
we just found this thread, as we are experiencing the very same thing with our UFX, the test results match.
I have a question for Matthias - does this situation mean that the device is going to fail overall soon or it will just be without the usable FX unit?

Regards
Jindrich

The latter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have same problem on my Babyface.
Must I send to Snthax to repair?

UFX, XTC, BabyPro, Baby, UCX, QuadII, M16&32ADDA, HDSP(e) MADI AIO 9632 Multiface2
Win10, BigSur

You need to contact support as the Babyface does not have this issue.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME