Topic: Micstasy and Octamic air circulation

We typically run two Micstasies in a 4u plastic case, and an Octamic XTC + Fireface UFX in a 2u case.  Both get fairly warm after several hours of use - does RME recommend allowing additional space around these units or is the heat produced by compact placement within working tolerances?

Also, is there any kind of test to check the remaining lifespan of power supplies in RME units?

Thanks in advance

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

2 (edited by ramses 2020-07-02 11:47:45)

Re: Micstasy and Octamic air circulation

Its recommended to enable for airflow. With UFX+ and 2x XTC I took e.g. a 4 RU rack for the 3 devices ...
So that every device has some distance between the other and the top and the bottom ....
No active blowers ... Thomann Eco rack with approx 23cm width ...

EDIT: BTW .. this was my personal opinion and how I personally would recommend it to others.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

There's no predetermined "remaining lifespan" and no way to test it. It all depends - and sometimes component quality varies and one unit may have a failure earlier than others....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

There's no predetermined "remaining lifespan" and no way to test it. It all depends - and sometimes component quality varies and one unit may have a failure earlier than others....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks.  Is there official word on Micstasy air circulation or is 2 units in a 4u rack acceptable?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

It really depends on surroundings, I'd say. If you can leave a bit of space between the units, I don't see a problem.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME