Topic: Understanding And Setting Up Digicheck - Beginner

Thanks for looking at this and for any thoughts. I'm a new user and need to get to grips with Digicheck. I have the RME UFX 2. I use the Arc USB as my monitor level controller and I'm working with Logic X 10.4.4.

I'd like to be able to use Totalyser, and all other functions, at the signal level not my monitoring level. At the moment if I turn my monitors down the levels in Totalyser also go down. What I'd like is for Digicheck to monitor the audio at main volume fader 0Db and for me to be able listen at any level I like. I've had a good look at the forum and online but can't see anything that helps with this. I understand it may be out there and I just don't yet know what I'm looking at yet.

I'm guessing it might be a TotalMix routing solution but I'm not familiar enough to know how to set it up. At the moment all playback, system and Daw, comes through AN 1/2.

If there is a way of having Digicheck work on playback signal strength, equivalent to main volume fader at 0Db, while I monitor at any level that would be really helpful.

If somebody could point me in the right direction I'd be enormously grateful.

Thanks.

Re: Understanding And Setting Up Digicheck - Beginner

So I think I've done it. If anybody sees an obvious flaw with this would you mind letting me know?

Select Software Playback ADAT 15/16. Bring playback volume up to 0Db (AN 1-2 in this instance). Select loopback on ADAT15/16 and adjust Digicheck inputs to reflect the same.

Job done.

Looks good...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel. Working beautifully. Next job is to learn how to use the various tools properly.

I haven't used digicheck for about 3 months and I've got a similar issue- the level doesn't change when I lower faders in Totalmix. I'm talking about software playback on AS3-4, which is sent to main out.
Must be loopback I've forgotten. I've got digicheck set to 'playback'. Actually I managed to crash digicheck, which is a first!

ViolaPlayer wrote:

Thanks Daniel. Working beautifully. Next job is to learn how to use the various tools properly.

Yes Im not using Digicheck in our band rehearsal/recording studio (UFXii Arc USB and Win10 pc with Studio One as DAW), but I`d like to!
The problem for me is that Im a newbie at recording (Im normally only the guitar player). But Im diligent and studious, so I learn reasonably quickly from YouTube and forums like this one.

What`s missing for me is a training video on DigiCheck; there really seems to be very little useful material on DigiCheck out there. Yes Ive done plenty of searching before posting. German, French or Spanish no problem for me.

I appreciate that DigiCheck is a multi-function tool, with 6 different interfaces measuring all manner of complicated audio parameters, so it is perhaps unreasonable to expect RME to make videos about say peak levels vs. rms. Besides, YouTube has a ton of good videos on such topics already...

No, what I mean is training videos about setting up DigiCheck in TM FX, how to determine which source to monitor, how to change sources quickly (my band is playing while Im doing this, so if I want to view for example the kick drum then the snare in DigiCheck, I need to be able to switch quickly...), also when to use Loopback, and in particular Use Case examples. For example which DigiCheck tool would be most useful to help set gain input and output levels, phase and frequency monitoring aka RTA on the kick mic, say?
Because I don`t understand all these things in DigiCheck, I never start it up, and rely instead     
on the green bars in TM FX, aiming for -12db on each track, and also the recording levels in Studio One.
Maybe that`s sufficient for my application? So maybe I don`t need DigiCheck after all?

But as I travel down the long long tunnel of learning how to record and mix a live band in a room, I yearn for a bit more information than the green bars in TMFX and S1; to fine tune our settings in real time. RME is the digital world, after all, so every time I improve a mic or instrument sound, I can save it and it`ll be there next rehearsal, with the entire workspace backed up to OneDrive. I like that concept!   

I need some DigiCheck training...suggestions anyone?

BR
plank