Topic: Fireface 800 - firmware update hangs

I have pulled my FF out of storage to connect to my new system and was advised the driver required a firmware update to 2.77 (it was 2.47 or something before).

So, I downloaded the firmware and ran it. It started the update process andthen hanged once the progress bar got to the end with the status still saying 'programming..' I waited for half an hour then thought I would try rebood the FF. When I did, it is now booting up 1.8 - which I assume is from the secondary BIOS.

So now I have a FF that will not update its BIOS, and is therefore unusable. Seems the BIOS deletes just fine, and then the update proceeds - it just fails at the last hurdle.http://www.blueskycivil.com/RMEHanged.png.

Where to from here?

Re: Fireface 800 - firmware update hangs

My firewire card is StarTech PEX1394A2V2 2 Port PCI Express FireWire Card

You could try again with an older driver, then with a different computer.

A FF800 that old will need some mods and refreshes anyway, so best option is to send it in for a fresh-up. Not free, of course.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by statlerw 2020-09-02 23:47:26)

When you say send it in for a fresh-up, what exactly does that entail? Is that a return-to-factory? What changes are required, and what would it cost? I am quite interested in this if it resolves the issues.

Can you comment on the firewire card possibly being an issue, or is that TI chip solid for this application?

I am in Australia - is there a local rep that does this, or is it OS?

Contact our Australian distributor, Innovative Music, for prices of repair and updates. If it must be sent in to the German factory  then IMHO that's not worth it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME