Re: RME ADI-2 DAC/Pro FS: Feature Requests

Hi there! smile
I don't know if that would be possible, but concerning the great dynamic loudness feature, it would be very convenient to have the possibility to choose a different Low Vol Ref for each source.
For instance, my TV is connected via optical and is about -22 LUFS (thanks Digicheck!), but the coaxial and USB are more about -8 to -6 LUFS (I use them for music). So I must change the Low Vol Ref if I switch between TV and music... Or choose to use Dynamic Loudness only for the TV or the music, it's a shame... smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

For the Pro this is already possible, I just checked with the Pro R BE model.

There might be this difference because the Pro model has two different D/A converter, the DAC has only one.

Am curious what RME responds to your request. Maybe its doable for the DAC model in a different way ..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

153 (edited by N00b 2020-06-28 19:23:35)

ramses wrote:

For the Pro this is already possible, I just checked with the Pro R BE model.

There might be this difference because the Pro model has two different D/A converter, the DAC has only one.

Am curious what RME responds to your request. Maybe its doable for the DAC model in a different way ..

Thanks for your reply Ramses.
With the Pro you can depending on the source? How do you?
On the DAC we can only depending on the output (one low vol ref for line out and one different for headphones for instance, but not depending on source (optical/usb/coaxial). smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

154 (edited by KaiS 2020-06-28 20:35:21)

I don't see source dependent (Dynamic) Loudness settings at the ADI-2 Pro here, just tried.

On the Pro there are two independent settings for the output channels 1/2 and 3/4, that's it.

I suggest to use different Presets for source switching, bit more to set in the 1st place, but then ...

155 (edited by ramses 2020-06-28 22:56:12)

KaiS wrote:

I don't see source dependent (Dynamic) Loudness settings at the ADI-2 Pro here, just tried.

On the Pro there are two independent settings for the output channels 1/2 and 3/4, that's it.

I suggest to use different Presets for source switching, bit more to set in the 1st place, but then ...

EDIT ...

Ok, he means from source, sorry, this I didn't get ...

I see a problem .. two different dyn loudness settings for e.g. monitors and phones make sense ...

But to make this additionally dependend from source might be a nightmare.

If you select a source .. then dynamic loudness would also depend on the outputs .. for speakers the needed settings might be different compared to phones ...

So at the end you would require for each source two different dyn loudness settings for a) speakers and b) phones.

The amount of different settings for dynamic loudness would be "# of sources * 2".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

156 (edited by Delysid 2020-07-03 22:30:50)

I would love to have an option of having pre or post FX Spectrum Analyser. At this time it's post FX and that's fine, but I would also like to have pre FX on the screen, coupled with already implemented pre/post volume meters. That would give me all necessary information for my use case. Peak, where that peak is occurring and what actually goes out of the DAC, all in one screen basically. Not much of a use case, it's rather a preference.

Edit: Also, is there a technical limitation on EQ's 24 dB of bandwidth, or it's purely by choice? Mind you, I'm perfectly fine with +12 dB, but could use to go a little bit lower, like -15, or even -18 would be perfect.

Is it possible to get more than +6db gain on the B/T-knobs?

158 (edited by ramses 2020-07-08 19:39:09)

Use the PEQ, it allows +12 dB.
Or use B/T and PEQ, they work additive.
But tbh, who needs such an enormous bass boost ? Could you kindly explain ?

159 (edited by sinarca 2020-07-09 14:28:23)

Wify (like Mytec Brooklyn bBridge) and/or Bluetooth (LDAC codec)

sinarca wrote:

The Mytek Bridge is a streamer, so WiFi and/or Ethernet are mandatory. wink

I would prefer HDMI input on a DAC than WiFi...

161 (edited by Sebastian.Athea 2020-07-09 14:09:13)

N00b wrote:
sinarca wrote:

The Mytek Bridge is a streamer, so WiFi and/or Ethernet are mandatory. wink

I would prefer HDMI input on a DAC than WiFi...

+1 although I don't know how viable would that be with HDMI standards changing all the time, and HDMI digital audio extractors are inexpensive anyway

ramses wrote:

Use the PEQ, it allows +12 dB.
Or use B/T and PEQ, they work additive.
But tbh, who needs such an enormous bass boost ? Could you kindly explain ?

Using the LCD-2C that can handle a lot of bass that I sometimes just LOVE bumping up to stupid levels when drinking. I knew I could just use the PEQ but thought that why not just add an option to go like +12db on the knobs themselves.

163 (edited by eurokage 2020-07-15 19:32:19)

I'm an ADI-2 DAC FS owner and first-time poster, bravo RME on this very well-designed item! I understand 10 band EQ will not be possible due to hardware limitation, my question is on the 2-band bass/treble EQ: is it (or will it be possible) to store settings per-EQ slot? From my understanding, currently I can have 20x 5-band EQ presets, and 3x 2-band EQ presets (Line-Out, Phone, IEM). Would it be possible to store a 2-band EQ linked to each 5-band EQ preset? I hope that makes sense...

After 7 Years of Babyface and now some 3 Weeks with the excellent new ADI2 DAC FS I would like to request a "PCM Direct" feature, for a perfect sound, possibly even better than what now only possible with DSD.

I guess that DSP processing is still active within the audio chain when playing back any PCM input (USB), even with the highest sample rates while all DSP settings are deactivated (set to default for all 3 outputs): the only significant SQ improvement is to convert PCM to DSD, the differences between any two PCM or between two DSD playbacks (like DSD vs. DSD direct or DSD64 vs. 256) are definitive there but very subtle in comparison to PCM vs. DSD.

When DSD is converted back just for volume control (and than back internally again into bitstream fomat for sigma-delta modulation), playing back PCM directly should theoretically produce a better sound without redundant steps of PCM->DSD (for input) + DSD->PCM (within the DAC). Despite of this DSD playback is dramatically and consistently better than with any PCM input. The differences DSD/DSD direct, DSD sample rate, PCM Sample rates are almost negligible.

I have discussed this with the creator of HQPlayer, he meant that for comparison we could play back PCM converted to highest 705.6k or 768k sample rates before output to the DAC. Then due to the performance limits of the DSP would most of the DSP processing be switched off. This was not a perfect comparison within HQPlayer though, being the DSD conversion the result of 256* digital filtering and 16* of the PCM within HQPlayer .

But then I was able to make a perfect direct comparison with JRiver (upsampled to 7xx PCM) and then output it by defining foo_asio_dsd as the output device. These are obviously of lesser quality components than HQPlayer4, but the results confirm strikingly my observations: it's only the DSD input format which gives the near-optimum playback, even with this not highest quality conversion.

The only conceivable explanation I can see is some un-necessary processing by the DAC DSP. Why couldn't at least some special format PCM input get treated like the PCM which is converted back from DSD just for volume control?

Perhaps as an additional option (like DSD direct, but with volume control) or as the default behavior with some sweet-point, high rate, 32 bit PCM formats, where all of the DSP processing could be circumvented.

Tested with some demanding HiRes (96/24) files (bit depth being always the major factor), but also CD files as MQA and CD quality streamings from Tidal. Environment: Windows10. (Interestingly, there is a marked difference between ASIO and WASAPI as well, WASAPI(event) being of the markedly richer sound quality. Was even with the Babyface concistently the same experience. )

To my own qualification: I have been invited for a decade for the inner beta tests for world leading SW instruments (both sampled & physical modeling), I am a mathematician by profession with some classical musicology background.

You lost me in the third paragraph, sorry.

When all DSP effects are disabled or off (which does not require to use the highest sample rates, but can be done manually by disabling), and volume is set to 0 dB, the unit is at least bit transparent to 24 bits. You can't verify this because the DAC doesn't have any digital output, but the whole thing is internally identical to the Pro, and there you can easily verify the 24 bit transparency via the digital outputs - even with processing on, like Bass/Treble and EQ On but set to 0 dB (24 bit because ADAT/SPDIF/AES are limited to this).

So I don't see how 'unnecessary DSP processing' is still active and causes sound changes.

Also please note this is a feature request thread. Further discussion of perceived sound differences should be in a different thread.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

166 (edited by KaiS 2020-07-16 21:59:04)

eurokage wrote:

I'm an ADI-2 DAC FS owner and first-time poster, bravo RME on this very well-designed item! I understand 10 band EQ will not be possible due to hardware limitation, my question is on the 2-band bass/treble EQ: is it (or will it be possible) to store settings per-EQ slot? From my understanding, currently I can have 20x 5-band EQ presets, and 3x 2-band EQ presets (Line-Out, Phone, IEM). Would it be possible to store a 2-band EQ linked to each 5-band EQ preset? I hope that makes sense...

+1 from me.

The functionality could stay the same, still encoder 1 + 2 could serve as quick access to Bass + Treble Gain.

Saving Bass/Treble with EQ is quite logical, because a different EQ setting means different transducer usually.
So different crossover and Q factor settings are needed too.

Meanwhile "Setups" could be used for this if you have a limited amount of configurations you need.
Personally this is no option for me, I have to many different headphones and even the number of EQ presets is not sufficient for me.
I note them down in an Excel sheet as storage, old-school way.

167 (edited by jthk 2020-07-16 19:23:03)

It's truly a wonderful device. My only feature request would be to include the B/T settings as part of the EQ presets. It is a bit annoying if I use different B/T settings for a particular EQ preset and then have to manually change B/T settings when switching to a different EQ preset. I'm sure there's a reason for this, like a hardware limitation. You can only store so much data, after all. However, it would drastically improve the user experience (or at least, mine).

Even if it only stored B/T settings for the first few EQ presets it would be an improvement. That way storage wouldn't need to be allocated for every preset slot, but the presets used the most could still be easily switched.

168 (edited by contemplativus 2020-07-19 08:57:32)

MC wrote:

You lost me in the third paragraph, sorry.

When all DSP effects are disabled or off (which does not require to use the highest sample rates, but can be done manually by disabling), and volume is set to 0 dB, the unit is at least bit transparent to 24 bits. You can't verify this because the DAC doesn't have any digital output, but the whole thing is internally identical to the Pro, and there you can easily verify the 24 bit transparency via the digital outputs - even with processing on, like Bass/Treble and EQ On but set to 0 dB (24 bit because ADAT/SPDIF/AES are limited to this).

So I don't see how 'unnecessary DSP processing' is still active and causes sound changes.

Thank You MC for the clarification, any differences  must come then from the input to the device, I guess due to different processing, filtering, etc., some of which could be perceived as musically beneficial. I have some ideas how could I demonstrate this to make this observation more objectively obvious by multiple recording cycles with a HQ recording device (like the ADI2 PRO), but I don't have the opportunity for this at the present time. I am enjoying my ADi2 DAC very much...

This is more of a entirely new model request.  A unit that adds a crossover to allow for the mains and subwoofer(s) to be crossed over internally in the digital domain would be incredible.  For those of use using in a home stereo environment, we are forced to use analog crossovers between the mains and subs which limits the ability to integrate for time delays.  Being able to do this in the digital domain with a wide range of slope options would be incredible.  I for one would gladly spend an extra $400-500 to have RME ADI-2 DAC with this feature built in, even if it required making it a full 1u unit because of the extra connections.

carymcreynolds wrote:

This is more of a entirely new model request.  A unit that adds a crossover to allow for the mains and subwoofer(s) to be crossed over internally in the digital domain would be incredible.  For those of use using in a home stereo environment, we are forced to use analog crossovers between the mains and subs which limits the ability to integrate for time delays.  Being able to do this in the digital domain with a wide range of slope options would be incredible.  I for one would gladly spend an extra $400-500 to have RME ADI-2 DAC with this feature built in, even if it required making it a full 1u unit because of the extra connections.

rme>splitter>main speakers
                   >miniDSP>subwoofer(s)

171 (edited by ramses 2020-07-23 19:52:30)

The alternative would be getting a sub which supports up to 7.1
https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_750_dsp.htm
https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_810.htm
https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_870.htm

Sebastian.Athea wrote:
carymcreynolds wrote:

rme>splitter>main speakers
                   >miniDSP>subwoofer(s)

Unfortunately this results in running the mains full range.  I also looked at using the Mini-DSP for the mains, but really don't want to do an additional unnecessary AD/DA conversion.

If I already didn't have two very nice Rythmik subs, this would be an interesting alternative.  It unfortunately still requires an additional AD/DA conversion and lot of extra cabling to make it work. 

The MiniDSP SHD has this function, but you give up others and is built in China.  While I have no issue with products being built there, I prefer when possible to purchase products made in the EU or USA.  That was a factor that pushed me over to the RME.  I am handling the crossover right now with an outboard analog, which works fine, but think this would be a cool feature for a future generation.

174 (edited by Jas0_0 2020-07-24 07:55:20)

carymcreynolds wrote:

I would also buy a multi-channel RME unit with a digital crossover.  Would be great for creating DIY active speakers.

In its absence, you could buy an RME ADI-2 Pro FS R and use it in multichannel mode to perform crossover in a USB-connected computer with inexpensive software such as Audio Hijack and some filter plugins, then route the treated signal to each of the RME’s 4 analogue outputs.

Signal chain would be:

Analogue/digital Source > ADI-2 Pro > Mac/PC with Audio Hijack + plugins > ADI-2 Pro > Mains/Sub

Obviously if you only use a computer for playing music, you could omit the first two steps and just route your music software to Audio Hijack. 

Though this would of course be much neater if the crossover were in the RME.

A cool feature, for the one who uses ADI-2 DAC in a familly living room, would be an option to 'lock' the front encoders, excpect volume knob and maybe source selector.
Because children like very much to with knobs, and mess all the settings

Don't know how I missed this thread earlier --- re post of request below:

I'm using the ADI-2 DAC with an external amp for listening sessions and really enjoy using the "Dark" feature.  However,  I'm only able to notice peaks that cause clipping while the screen is active.  Once the screen goes dark, so does our knowledge of overdrive.  Is there any way to alert the user of "OVR" clipping by either re-awakening the screen or possibly a soft glow of the volume dial LED ?  Of course it would be an option to turn on/off, if possible, in the menu.  This would be very appreciated !!

Automatic TOGGLE Between default screens ?

Hi, I'm a new RME ADI-2 DAC FS owner nd very pleased with it!

I would appreciate a lot the ability to have automatic toggle between
-Dark detailed screen when not playing a musical track
-and analyzer when playing something
is it something that could be implemented in firmware?

Because:
I like the welcome screen Dark detailed a lot, very useful nd complete informations in a simple way,
when switching on USB or SPDIF source, one can check in a glance global config.
Then when playing music, nothing is better than the analyzer screen, beautiful, informative screen.
A way of automaticaly switching screens, triggered by "playing a track" action would be very appreciated!

best regards,
christophe

Warning, English is not my natural language.

Could you make it so you could start a new EQ-profile from an old EQ? So you could choose an empty slot and have an option to copy a slot that has your EQ already so if you want to do a few tweaks on existing profiles you wouldn't have to redo them from the scratch.

Load the desired EQ, save it to whatever Preset slot....

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh of course, thanks.

181 (edited by contemplativus 2020-09-13 12:06:53)

A possible feature request (ADI2 DAC FS) : Crossfeed is greyed out with Line Out, but it would be useful with very directional near-field monitors (especially when set apart due to placing issues on the computer table, eg.), at least with some low settings - it is a setup comparable to headphones settings.   

Inconsistenciy in menu with inactive features at higher (>=705.6 kHz) bitrate settings.
DSD Playback (PCM 705.6 kHz or DSD256 from Jriver):

Generally, when [Bass/Treble] is inactive, it is grayed out, but in Status display in menu level above it "B/T Enable (ON)" the brackets are missing. "EQ (ON)" and "Loudness (ON)" will be displayed correctly, though.   

according to the Manual:

• Manual: At sample rates 705.6 kHz and up Crossfeed or EQ can be active, not both at the same
    time. Bass/Treble and Loudness are not available.

• Reality (Phones % IEM): EQ is available and CrossFeed in Setting submenu is also active (not greyed out, only the selected value is in brackets), it seems  actually be deactivated (I cannot hear any difference), but I would expect it displayed as grey.

A "home theater" mode for the analog inputs would be very useful. It would be really nice to have the option to automatically bypass the volume control on the main outputs when the analog inputs are selected. This way you can use the volume control on the home theater receiver instead of the one on the ADI-2 without having to manually set the volume control on the ADI-2 to full.

Logan Nolag wrote:

A "home theater" mode for the analog inputs would be very useful. It would be really nice to have the option to automatically bypass the volume control on the main outputs when the analog inputs are selected. This way you can use the volume control on the home theater receiver instead of the one on the ADI-2 without having to manually set the volume control on the ADI-2 to full.

You can use a "Setup" to configure such a mode.

KaiS wrote:
Logan Nolag wrote:

If you don't mind me asking how do you set it up. I looked thorough all the setup menus and the entire instruction manual and I couldn't find this option anywhere.

Logan Nolag wrote:
KaiS wrote:
Logan Nolag wrote:

If you don't mind me asking how do you set it up. I looked thorough all the setup menus and the entire instruction manual and I couldn't find this option anywhere.

You can find this in the ADI-2 Dac manual for instance, on page 28 (section 14.2).

There's no pre defined "Home Theater Mode", if that what you were looking for.

You can do all the settings and adjustments, then store it in a "Setup", can even name it "Home Theater" if you like.
If you recall this setup EVERYTHING is restored then.

KaiS wrote:

There's no pre defined "Home Theater Mode", if that what you were looking for.

You can do all the settings and adjustments, then store it in a "Setup", can even name it "Home Theater" if you like.
If you recall this setup EVERYTHING is restored then.

That's what I thought. I did see this in the manual but it's just as easy to just manually adjust the volume. It's a lot easier if it could be automatic when analog is selected.

michicaust wrote:
Adam_79 wrote:

More EQ colors!!! smile

This; I've requested thius somewhere else already - sorry for the double post, here's what I wrote back then:

[...] my ADI-2 DAC is an integral part of a relatively representative desktop setup...

Is there a chance we can get a few more choices for the color theme(s)? Like, at least the, somewhat toned-down, basic colours like red-, green-, blue-, cyan-, magenta- and yellow-ish hues? Three of those are already there, so only a few would have to be added.

Oh, and maybe a neutral, grey theme would also be rather nice...? ^^

Maybe even a way to dial in our own RGB values for certain parts of the GUI...? big_smile big_smile

Yes. This would be very nice. I would love to be able to set the meter color to white so it would better match the color of the backlights on the rest of the unit.

As a linux user I would like to play DSD files (only DoP is possible) in Direct DSD mode. There was an answer in other thread by MC how to it:

"The point is this: if you set the volume to -3.5 dB (not dBr) you can switch in real-time within the menu between Direct DSD and normal DSD. Very easy to hear if it's really worth it to loose the convenience of volume control. No volume change, just DSD converted to PCM or not."

Would it be possible to make an item in Menu where we could "force" Direct DSD mode without setting volume to -3.5dB?
Thank you.

You misunderstood. The volume setting is for 1:1 comparison. You can activate DSD Direct mode at any volume setting.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

191 (edited by JoW 2020-11-04 04:25:26)

Hi,

I just recently bought an ADI 2 DAC FS (new version) and I am pretty happy with it - thank you for such a great device smile

Here are a few nitpicks that I have about the ADI 2 DAC - and maybe a way for you to push it even further towards perfection.
I hope these are changeable through firmware updates and not discussed elsewhere. I searched a bit but couldn't find similar discussions:

1. Dim does not activate Loudness compensation
    You can easily verify this by activating loudness, going 20dB above your low volume reference, pushing dim and going 0,5 dB down - the sound changes significantly after the 0,5dB drop.
    In the handbook it is mentioned that you can test the effect of lacking loudness compensation easily via the dim-function.
    While this is true, I think it would be even better, if it was also helpful in finding the right loudness settings.
    And thus my request to make dim honor the loudness settings.

2. Restrictions on equalizer bands
    There are some restrictions on the equalizer bands that seem arbitrary to me:
    Bands 4 & 5 are restricted to frequency > 200Hz and Q <= 5.0.
    All other bands are restricted to frequency > 20Hz and  Q <= 9.9.
    This prevented me from entering the optimal EQ that REW calculated for my room correction (4 sharp dips below 100Hz with Q values as high as 18). There is no real problem here for me, because REW also found usable EQ with only slightly inferior sound quality, but I would still like to be able to correct it even better.
    Thus my request to:

• allow frequencies between 20-20000Hz for all bands

• allow the same Q values for all bands - preferably up to 19.9
      (I noticed spacing is a little tight on the EQ screen, but to me it looks, like an additional "1" could still fit)

3. A little more flexibility for setups would be convenient

• I would like to keep the volume when changing the setup. I find changing setups more convenient than changing EQ presets, because it can be done via hotkeys. Since I use the ADI 2 DAC for room correction with speakers on my standing desk, I am switching setups pretty frequently and then change the volume back to where it was before. While this is really just a minor inconvenience, since the ADI 2 DAC has the best volume control I ever used on an electronic device, this would still be a slight improvement for me.
      There are a few possible variants with varying complexity that I have in mind. If needed, I can go into more detail here.

• Some of my setups only make sense for a specific output, so it would be nice, if one could choose per setup to keep the current output or select one of the other three on activation.

4. Non-intuitive AutoDark Mode
    Currently, when the device is turned on and in AutoDark Mode, is the only state where there are no visible lights.
    This one is really just cosmetic and I can definitely get used to it. However, with AutoDark Mode, I sometimes stop and think about if I have to turn it on or not. Also, it just feels wrong when it sits on my desk with no visible sign of life. No cold, hard, measured facts here, just emotions - I know, this is dangerous in this forum wink
    I think the current option to turn all lights off has its use and should definitely stay. What I would love to see here is a second AutoDark Mode setting to choose, if the power button should be lit or not. Alternative or additional options might be, to just light the volume knob or the function keys.

I know I'm being really nit picky here - I own the device for two weeks now and have used/tweaked it every day, studied the manual and these are all improvements I can think of. Again, thanks for creating such a great product.

192 (edited by N00b 2020-11-04 10:38:31)

JoW wrote:

Hi,

I just recently bought an ADI 2 DAC FS (new version) and I am pretty happy with it - thank you for such a great device smile

Here are a few nitpicks that I have about the ADI 2 DAC - and maybe a way for you to push it even further towards perfection.
I hope these are changeable through firmware updates and not discussed elsewhere. I searched a bit but couldn't find similar discussions:

1. Dim does not activate Loudness compensation
    You can easily verify this by activating loudness, going 20dB above your low volume reference, pushing dim and going 0,5 dB down - the sound changes significantly after the 0,5dB drop.
    In the handbook it is mentioned that you can test the effect of lacking loudness compensation easily via the dim-function.
    While this is true, I think it would be even better, if it was also helpful in finding the right loudness settings.

2. Restrictions on equalizer bands
    There are some restrictions on the equalizer bands that seem arbitrary to me:
    Bands 4 & 5 are restricted to frequency > 200Hz and Q <= 5.0.
    All other bands are restricted to frequency > 20Hz and  Q <= 9.9.
    This prevented me from entering the optimal EQ that REW calculated for my room correction (4 sharp dips below 100Hz with Q values as high as 18). There is no real problem here for me, because REW also found usable EQ with only slightly inferior sound quality, but I would still like to be able to correct it even better.
    Thus my request to:

• allow frequencies between 20-20000Hz for all bands

• allow the same Q values for all bands - preferably up to 19.9
      (I noticed spacing is a little tight on the EQ screen, but to me it looks, like an additional "1" could still fit)

3. A little more flexibility for setups would be convenient

• I would like to keep the volume when changing the setup. I find changing setups more convenient than changing EQ presets, because it can be done via hotkeys. Since I use the ADI 2 DAC for room correction with speakers on my standing desk, I am switching setups pretty frequently and then change the volume back to where it was before. While this is really just a minor inconvenience, since the ADI 2 DAC has the best volume control I ever used on an electronic device, this would still be a slight improvement for me.
      There are a few possible variants with varying complexity that I have in mind. If needed, I can go into more detail here.

• Some of my setups only make sense for a specific output, so it would be nice, if one could choose per setup to keep the current output or select one of the other three on activation.

4. Non-intuitive AutoDark Mode
    Currently, when the device is turned on and in AutoDark Mode, is the only state where there are no visible lights.
    This one is really just cosmetic and I can definitely get used to it. However, with AutoDark Mode, I sometimes stop and think about if I have to turn it on or not. Also, it just feels wrong when it sits on my desk with no visible sign of life. No cold, hard, measured facts here, just emotions - I know, this is dangerous in this forum wink
    I think the current option to turn all lights off has its use and should definitely stay. What I would love to see here is a second AutoDark Mode setting to choose, if the power button should be lit or not. Alternative or additional options might be, to just light the volume knob or the function keys.

I know I'm being really nit picky here - I own the device for two weeks now and have used/tweaked it every day, studied the manual and these are all improvements I can think of. Again, thanks for creating such a great product.

Hi JoW, welcome here! smile

2 and 4 have already been discussed here many many times: hardware limitations, this can't be changed by firmware upgrade... smile

For 1, in my opinion, I prefer the current behaviour... When I use Dim (answering phone call or having a taste of the sound 20 dB lower), I personnaly don't want Loudness engaged...
And if it's only for "finding the right loudness settings", maybe you can create a specific set-up, with volume set 20 dB lower and Loudness activated, and test it like that (you can change set up with the remote).

193 (edited by JoW 2020-11-07 19:47:28)

Hey N00b,
thanks for responding. Do you have Loudness enabled?

There is no need to open a new thread. Everybody has read it here...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

195 (edited by KaiS 2020-11-07 21:43:59)

JoW wrote:

Dim does not activate Loudness compensation

I just answered this in the other thread you opened, suddenly it disappeared (Mist!), so here again.

I tried to replicate the problem you mention but my observation is different.

The effect of "Loudness" function only relates to the volume figures shown in the display, no matter if achieved by using DIM or turning the dial.
DIM does in fact activate the "Loudness" function.

What's written in the manual page 14 is related to the perceived sound loss effect if not using Loudness at all BTW, you did misunderstand this part.

What might irritate you is, if you have DIM active and turn the volume dial by one click, DIM is disabled and the level jumps up by 20 dB.
The level jump of +20 dB might sound like a sudden bass and treble boost to you, but it's just a level jump.

I tested with ADI-2 Pro, firmware V.97,  shown at start up.

I think you are doing it differently than I described.
If you have a volume of -40dB and you activate Dim, you are effectively at -60dB. Lowering the volume - like I did - keeps you at -60dB. Increasing the volume - like you did - instantly jumps back to -40dB.
At least on the Dac - don't know about the Pro, but I assume it is the same there.

197 (edited by KaiS 2020-11-08 00:05:32)

JoW wrote:

I think you are doing it differently than I described.
If you have a volume of -40dB and you activate Dim, you are effectively at -60dB. Lowering the volume - like I did - keeps you at -60dB. Increasing the volume - like you did - instantly jumps back to -40dB.
At least on the Dac - don't know about the Pro, but I assume it is the same there.

OK, I tried it your way, but with the same, different to your result, on the ADI-2 Pro.

Loudness function always correctly follows the real level like it's visible in the display, no matter if I use DIM or the volume dial.

What really bothers me is the 20 dB level jump when you dial up the volume dial one step, immediately after activating the DIM function.
I don't think this is intentional, I'd consider it a bug.

This bug does not appear if you dial down before dialing up.
In this case DIM is disabled, but without the level jumping.

198 (edited by JoW 2020-11-08 01:34:12)

The volume jump, you describe, is the expected behavior on the Dac.
Chapter 12.1 of the Dac's manual reads:

Dim
Senkt den Volume des aktuellen Ausgangs um 20 dB ab. Auch über die Remap Function Keys
schaltbar. Eine Erhöhung des Volume deaktiviert Dim sofort, eine Verringerung übernimmt den
Dim-Wert als neuen Volume-Wert.

So I assume it's not a bug.

Interesting however, that Loudness follows the volume on the Pro and not on the Dac.

JoW wrote:

The volume jump, you describe, is the expected behavior on the Dac.
Chapter 12.1 of the Dac's manual reads:

Dim
Senkt den Volume des aktuellen Ausgangs um 20 dB ab. Auch über die Remap Function Keys
schaltbar. Eine Erhöhung des Volume deaktiviert Dim sofort, eine Verringerung übernimmt den
Dim-Wert als neuen Volume-Wert.

So I assume it's not a bug.

Interesting however, that Loudness follows the volume on the Pro and not on the Dac.

Too much engineering!

I will check that. Should be indentical on both.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME