1 (edited by pightlebit 2020-09-15 15:52:09)

Topic: Totalmix / UFX+ with Sonarworks

Hi. Does anybody have experience of using Sonarwoks with these interfaces? I'm confused as to whether I should use it Systemwide or in my DAW (Logic) and how I get separate correction for my headphones and for my studio monitors. Have been looking on Youtube can't find anything relating to Sonarworks and RME.

UFX+
iMac17,Quad-Core Intel Core i7 4 GHz 32GB RAM
Logic Pro X

Re: Totalmix / UFX+ with Sonarworks

Hi!

I use Systemwide for everything outside the DAW but the Plugin on the Monitorsection of Reaper (no idea if Logic has that).
Works perfectly.

I also use 2 Speakersystems and had luck configuring the Midi-Output of the rme ARC to automatically switch presets in Sonarworks the moment I switch speakers on the ARC. More on that if you really need a How-To (it involves Keyboard Maestro and a Midi-Translator on macOS).

Best,
Frank

Happy Fireface UFX+, Octamic XTC and M-32 Pro user.
http://www.stoersender-studio.ch

cool idea !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

frank.acklin wrote:

I also use 2 Speakersystems and had luck configuring the Midi-Output of the rme ARC to automatically switch presets in Sonarworks the moment I switch speakers on the ARC. More on that if you really need a How-To (it involves Keyboard Maestro and a Midi-Translator on macOS).

Great, I was also thinking to look into this since Sonarworks Systemwide can be MIDI controlled now, I would be very interested to learn more.
1) Does it work in sync with the "Speaker B" Button on the ARC as well as in Total Mix?
2) Would it also work for a pair of connected Headphones through the Arc's "Vol. Ph 1" Button?

hselters wrote:

1) Does it work in sync with the "Speaker B" Button on the ARC as well as in Total Mix?
2) Would it also work for a pair of connected Headphones through the Arc's "Vol. Ph 1" Button?

It should work with any incoming MIDI from the ARC - it might work with outgoing MIDI from TotalMix FX
as well for the Speaker B Button but I have not tried it.

Happy Fireface UFX+, Octamic XTC and M-32 Pro user.
http://www.stoersender-studio.ch

That looks useful, thanks v much Frank

frank.acklin wrote:

Hi!

I use Systemwide for everything outside the DAW but the Plugin on the Monitorsection of Reaper (no idea if Logic has that).
Works perfectly.

Best,
Frank

UFX+
iMac17,Quad-Core Intel Core i7 4 GHz 32GB RAM
Logic Pro X

7 (edited by hselters 2020-09-16 19:40:12)

I just did a small patch in Max which receives OSC from Total Mix and sends MIDI to Sonarworks, so I did not need Keyboard Maestro or Midi-Translator in the end.

Now I can toggle between speakers with "Speaker B" on the ARC USB (or directly in Total Mix) and it automatically selects the right speaker profiles in Sonarworks.

I did something similar for a Headphone correction, I used a Fader Group in Total Mix which serves as a trigger for the Headphone correction profile in Sonarworks. The "Vol Ph 1" button on the ARC USB does not result in any OSC Output from Total Mix, thus this little workaround.

Your post was a long time ago, but could you please explain what exactly you did? Especially with the patch in max.
I would like to do it that way too. smile

dearest greetings
Fred

hselters wrote:

I just did a small patch in Max which receives OSC from Total Mix and sends MIDI to Sonarworks, so I did not need Keyboard Maestro or Midi-Translator in the end.

Now I can toggle between speakers with "Speaker B" on the ARC USB (or directly in Total Mix) and it automatically selects the right speaker profiles in Sonarworks.

I did something similar for a Headphone correction, I used a Fader Group in Total Mix which serves as a trigger for the Headphone correction profile in Sonarworks. The "Vol Ph 1" button on the ARC USB does not result in any OSC Output from Total Mix, thus this little workaround.

Very interesting, super curious about this

Ya I'm interested in the max patch too, I'm in ableton suite 11 and would like to quickly tap through different speakers and on/off the effect. But to answer the original question, yes you would need to run it in your daw since that bypasses the OS audio, hence why there is a daw version in the first place..Also, daw version has zero latency setting, non-daw always has latency (Windows has latency..) Seperate headphones and speakers are actually physical buttons on the software, which is why ppl talk about having mapped those buttons via misi/osc and stuff.

Great ideas from above.

My solution is, Sonarworks load my headphone(which is DT990)'s profile in systemwide, so in my headphone, sounds perfectly, then my monitors sounds not correct since they're using same correction.

So I added a DEQ2496 after monitors(they can connected by AES), and carefully adjusted all eq bands in GEQ and PEQ, by my ears and dozens of songs, now they're pretty close, not matched perfectly but very close.

I have sonarworks's measurement mic, but for some reason(maybe cause I have a subwoofer)the result not so precisely, so I had to do it the hard way.

------
In DAW, it skips the systemwide outputs, my headphone & monitors are both incorrect, I load a sonarworks plugin in main out to correct my headphone & monitors, then I will load another plugin in cue out(PH 11/12) for singers(it can load different headphone profile like singer's headphone are AKG K77)
------
That's my old PreSonus 1824 method, and also worked on my UFX+.