751 (edited by Celsian 2020-07-24 04:55:26)

Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

I have a Babyface Pro FS and an ADI-2 DAC FS.

Is there any loss of quality if I connect the ADI-2 to the Babyface Pro with an optical cable instead of connecting the ADI-2 directly to the computer via USB?
I would be routing audio through TotalMix to the optical out on the Babyface and into the ADI-2.

My goal is to use TotalMix FX with the Babyface and the ADI-2, but I do not want to do that if the Babyface is modifying the signal before it gets to the ADI-2. If there is a better alternative I'm not considering, please let me know.

--------------

Edit: Thank you for the response Ramses.

> Is there any loss of quality if I connect the ADI-2 DAC to the Babyface Pro with an optical cable
> instead of connecting the ADI-2 DAC directly to the computer via USB?

No.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

753 (edited by Evgeniy1 2020-08-05 03:17:37)

In  "Topic: ADI-2 Pro Firmware Update DSP 87 (details)" 
I read,  than
"Here are some pictures to illustrate the changes. All AD filters, SD Sharp/Sharp and SD Slow/Slow have been optimized, individually in all sample rates from 44.1 up to 192 kHz. "

New firmware for  Babyface Pro fs   include these  new filters ?

DSD recording is possible with   Babyface Pro fs  ?

1. Yes (of course).

2. No.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This is a request for TotalMix FX (I am using an iPad Pro 12.9 3g) and a Babyface Pro FS.

Please add a simple record ability like DuRec within TotalMix but into the memory on the iPad. I use the BFP to record dialogue in mono and as such this would be extremely useful! Cubasis is what I am using now, but it is not very streamlined for this use.

Is this feasible with the small I/O count and the SSD?

There are tons of apps that address such an application, so no, won't come.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

But not ones which only have TotalMix on the screen for monitoring. Floating screen on an iPad still takes a fair amount of real estate.

Hello, I am an Engineer of FIBBR. One of our USB product  has a issue with your device. Can you provide the E-Mail to me? We will send the detail information about this issue. Thanks!

I cannot get my Babyface Pro FS to install the driver. It seems to install correctly, but then when I check the Device Manager and the Babyface Pro FS device cannot run. The only driver found is USB 2.0.

I am using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 32gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070.

Any help on being able to get the driver installation recognized, would be very welcomed.

Sincerely,
Christopher

Make sure the unit is not in CC mode (see manual)....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Not sure whether this is the right thread.

BFPFS - Left Output LED on hardware remains lit - two ladder bars - when set to optical out.  It's currently connected via S/PDIF to a MOTU Ultralite mk3.  This occurs randomly but daily.  Doesn't affect audio.  Cycling through the outputs via the B button - how I have it assigned - clears the meters.

Thanks.

Did you check the level meters in TM FX that there is really no signal? I haven't seen this issue so far.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

763 (edited by Hexspa 2020-09-19 02:18:32)

MC wrote:

Did you check the level meters in TM FX that there is really no signal? I haven't seen this issue so far.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, for sure there is no signal.  Cycling the outputs via the hardware clears the LEDs.

I'll make a short video next time it happens and I'll upload to youtube set unlisted.

Almost doubted myself but here it is:
https://youtu.be/9OMYfhY7R1U
Noticed after CS:GO crashed.

Did you try this with the latest firmware 127?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Didn't know it was out.  Will install.  Thanks.

Ok, it's been about a day since I updated to firmware 127 and no problems so far.  I'll update if that changes. 

Thanks.

I currently have the HDSPe AIO after upgrading from my old UR22. I really got it because of the latency but I was more impressed with the sound I got compared to my old soundcard. I believed audio quality from high-end interfaces was a highly subjective topic until I got my RME. That said, I want to upgrade my mobile setup. I currently have an SSL 2 interface which I take with me everywhere I have my laptop. I would like to know if upgrading to a Babyface Pro FS would yield any audible benefit? My mobile set up is currently Yamaha HS8's. Thank you in advance.

Hi! I'm failing to make the following setup:

Instrument 1 > sent to > Headphones 1 (separate headphones)
Instrument 2 > sent to > Headphones 1 & Headphones 2 (both are two different physical headphones pairs)

Is it possible to configure it ?
Thanks for help

I'm using Babyface Pro FS

lightbox wrote:
vadim1319 wrote:

Instrument 1 > sent to > Headphones 1 (separate headphones)
Instrument 2 > sent to > Headphones 1 & Headphones 2 (both are two different physical headphones pairs)

Is it possible to configure it ?

No, both physical headphones outputs are fed by "Output 3/4" of your Babyface. It's not possible to feed them individual mixes.

Thanks for the answer. Interesting that the babyface is marketed with "2 x Phones Output".

771 (edited by Hexspa 2020-09-25 03:24:00)

Just want to say that the 2 LED issue is still there.

Thanks.

EDIT: Seems related to switching applications.  Only happens with ADAT.  Just happened when tabbing from Firefox to TMFX then switching to my B output which is on ADAT.

EDIT 2: I figured it out.  It happens when I use the A button to toggle mono when speaker B is active.  I made a video on it if you want to see it.  It's strange because, still, cycling through the outputs clears the LEDs.

Hi All. I'm a newbie here.
I just purchased the Babyface Pro FS, and can't wait to check it out.
It should be here in a few days.
Question:
I have and Mic Pre Amp (API A2D) that has a AES digital output, and also has the spdif (rca connector out type) too.
Would I be able to use the AES out of the API Pre I have, and convert it with a format converter... something like the Hosa ODL312 S/PDIF Optical to AES/EBU Digital Audio Interface?
Here's a link.
https://hosatech.com/products/digital-a … s/odl-312/

Many Thanks,
Wyatt

Does anyone know where to access the new "Mic Input 1 Copy to Mic Input 2" function? It's a very handy feature but I can't seem to find it in Totalmix, running v1.66.

Hexspa wrote:

Just want to say that the 2 LED issue is still there.

Thanks.

EDIT: Seems related to switching applications.  Only happens with ADAT.  Just happened when tabbing from Firefox to TMFX then switching to my B output which is on ADAT.

EDIT 2: I figured it out.  It happens when I use the A button to toggle mono when speaker B is active.  I made a video on it if you want to see it.  It's strange because, still, cycling through the outputs clears the LEDs.

Just wanted to be sure RME has seen this.  The EDIT 2 is how to reliably reproduce the issue.  Please let me know if there's any way I can help. 

Thanks,
Michael

The button A has two functions: entering the SET state and performing the action defined in TMFX. When the optical output is selected SET is still active, and you can push the SELECT key to change between SPDIF (2 LEDS) and ADAT (8 LEDS) output format.

It seems no one noticed this double function collision so far. We think we can fix this in the next firmware.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The button A has two functions: entering the SET state and performing the action defined in TMFX. When the optical output is selected SET is still active, and you can push the SELECT key to change between SPDIF (2 LEDS) and ADAT (8 LEDS) output format.

It seems no one noticed this double function collision so far. We think we can fix this in the next firmware.

Thank you.

Just got mine today!

Doesn’t seem to turn off though. Does everybody else just leave theirs on? Thanks!

Love it so far !

778 (edited by Muller 2020-10-23 20:45:55)

InTheCHAOS wrote:

I cannot get my Babyface Pro FS to install the driver. It seems to install correctly, but then when I check the Device Manager and the Babyface Pro FS device cannot run. The only driver found is USB 2.0.

I am using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 32gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070.

Any help on being able to get the driver installation recognized, would be very welcomed.

Sincerely,
Christopher

Christopher I had this and then noticed I hadn’t plugged the USB plug in all the way in the device!!

I didn’t realise because the power lights were on but nothing happened. Windows didn’t recognise it.

Seating the plug properly into the device solved all the issues.

Hi. I have been testing my BFP with my new MacBook Pro 2019 i9, OSX 10.15.7, and getting a lot of audio glitches when just running normal audio to it (iTunes, spotify etc) when doing anything slightly stressful on the Mac ... IE, swapping windows, loading photos, backing up my iPhone etc. The glitches are really bad and make it unlistenable.
I have used a ULN-2 and a Zoom U-24 on this same system without any issues. I have also contacted RME support with no answer for a week. Any ideas ?

780 (edited by rexet 2020-11-04 13:55:24)

I had the opportunity to switch from a Pro to a Pro FS for a few bucks and I'm glad I did.
The +4/+10 swith is really nice to have. I can finaly easily adjust the main volume of my IK Multimedia iLoud MM to fit my needs. With my previous Pro the output was too loud.
Well done RME.

BTW, in the all the reviews I read so far, the main "cons" is that the XLR are not locked.
What is the reason for this design? Because I'm sure RME did it on purpose.

RME Babyface Pro FS (previously: Multiface, Fireface 800, Babyface, Babyface Pro)

Lockers won't fit into the aluminum enclosure, which forms part of the XLR sockets in this unit. And they make no sense on a 'lightweight' and small desktop unit. See it this way: if that is the only negative point they could find then they were glad to  have something to write at all...something nobody cares about...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

782 (edited by Hexspa 2020-11-06 11:45:08)

tokintone wrote:

Hi. I have been testing my BFP with my new MacBook Pro 2019 i9, OSX 10.15.7, and getting a lot of audio glitches when just running normal audio to it (iTunes, spotify etc) when doing anything slightly stressful on the Mac ... IE, swapping windows, loading photos, backing up my iPhone etc. The glitches are really bad and make it unlistenable.
I have used a ULN-2 and a Zoom U-24 on this same system without any issues. I have also contacted RME support with no answer for a week. Any ideas ?

I get dropouts too sometimes.

Driver 1.168, HW revision 127.
Windows 10 2004
REAPER 6.15, recording two channels at once with MOTU ULmk3 on S/PDIF but monitoring through headphones directly from BFPFS

It definitely happens if I have my full reaper template even though CPU is low.  This is even with BFPFS on it's own USB-C tree and power management off on all the devices.  I think mostly I don't have problems with a minimal track/plugin count. 

I don't want to throw RME under the bus because I'm not sure exactly what's going on with Windows, etc.  My Ultralite was worse on a PCI FireWiare card but, then again, I wasn't as carefully trying to optimize it like I am the BFP.

Is it possible to power the babyface Pro using an iPHone? or does it require an external power supply?

Not possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Can I use any power supply or do I have to use the RME specific power supply?

Any that has similar specs volt / ampere.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Mattias!

Fireface UFX II and Babyface pro have near to idenctical specs. Do Fireface UFX II and Babyface Pro perform the same audio quality and if not, how much the difference is? I need to replace my old Motu Ultralite MK3 for measurements and room impulse response capture.

UFX II is not mobile, too heavy and excessive in features for me but very important for me HP out impedance is 2 ohms.
Babyface is better - only 0.1 Ohm, but lack of features. Maybe 2 working together is ok or maybe UCX+Babyface Pro.

No other options, because UCX has perfect features set, but  is HP out impedance is 30 ohms and thus not acceptable for me. I will be grateful for information on audio quality difference between.

hayminov wrote:

Fireface UFX II and Babyface pro have near to idenctical specs. Do Fireface UFX II and Babyface Pro perform the same audio quality and if not, how much the difference is? I need to replace my old Motu Ultralite MK3 for measurements and room impulse response capture.

UFX II is not mobile, too heavy and excessive in features for me but very important for me HP out impedance is 2 ohms.
Babyface is better - only 0.1 Ohm, but lack of features. Maybe 2 working together is ok or maybe UCX+Babyface Pro.

No other options, because UCX has perfect features set, but  is HP out impedance is 30 ohms and thus not acceptable for me. I will be grateful for information on audio quality difference between.

I went from that MOTU to a BFPFS.  To me, they're both audibly transparent on the output - I couldn't hear an obvious difference.  Maybe someone could tell but I don't claim to have golden ears. 

Not sure what kind of IR capture you want but, for basic acoustic measurements, virtually any interface is fine.  Rooms have SPL deviations of 50dB, in some cases, whereas most interfaces are well under 1dB.

Everything about the BFPFS is audibly clean and the headphone output is decently loud - definitely louder than the MOTU.  I know you're talking about impedance and features but I can't help you there.

Both the MOTU FW and BFP can be bus powered but I'd feel more comfortable travelling with BFP.  It's got a case, after all, and less knobs that stick out and it's smaller.  Less hardware I/O but enough for me.

Hi

I have had the bfpfs for a couple of weeks now and I seem to have got on top of TotalMix except one thing I keep seeing in videos.
So in videos I keep seeing the main and headphones in the right corner control room. Now nothing I seem to do can get both into control room. I can have main on it’s own or headphones on it’s own in control room but not both as I see in videos. I’ve been through all the settings multiple times and read the manual but this bit I just don’t seem to be able to get.

Are the videos correct? If so then how do I configure it like that? Thanks

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Just found it. Funny how asking the question was enough for me to work it out myself

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

Just found it. Funny how asking the question was enough for me to work it out myself

Do tell!
Your solution may help someone else with the same problem.

Macmini '19 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

gimenezex wrote:

Hi Matthias! Quick question. Is it normal to hear a noise like something is loose inside the unit. Its all working but when i move the unit i hear some metal crackling noise  and i wanted to know if it its normal.

Thanks!

Hi, I bought a babyface pro fs one month ago and I had exactly the same issue. I saw MC answered to this that "that's not normal" so I asked a replacement and I got a new one, but this new one has also the same issue... they are surely different units because they have different serial numbers.

Should I return this again? or is this a normal behavior with FS version?
Thanks a lot

I'd like to upgrade from my entry level audio device to a Babyface Pro FS. I do ambient guitar, and I'm used to record my tracks also on video with the following setup: Guitar, into pedalboard, into cabsim, xlr stereo out to audio device. I track mainly with headphones. So the stereo outs of the audio device are used to send the signal to my camera through a Y cable (2 mono trs 6,35 mm (1/4") to stereo 3,5mm jack into mic input of the camera), so it's simple to match audio in post (or simply use the audio from the camera). Since I'd like to use proper monitors for the babyface pro fs and I also think it's difficult or not suggested to use a 2 xlr to 3,5mm jack, I'd like to know if it's safe to use one of the two headphone outputs to send the signal to my camera. Or, maybe if you have suggestions on a different setup, I'm open to changes.

Thanks a lot in advance

The headphone output should be fine for a feed to the camera

leif_tomo wrote:
gimenezex wrote:

Hi Matthias! Quick question. Is it normal to hear a noise like something is loose inside the unit. Its all working but when i move the unit i hear some metal crackling noise  and i wanted to know if it its normal.

Thanks!

Hi, I bought a babyface pro fs one month ago and I had exactly the same issue. I saw MC answered to this that "that's not normal" so I asked a replacement and I got a new one, but this new one has also the same issue... they are surely different units because they have different serial numbers.

Should I return this again? or is this a normal behavior with FS version?
Thanks a lot

No, it's not normal. An internal screw is either loose or fell out completely. These screws are locked, but here it failed somehow. Please return it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok I'll return it, thanks for the information Matthias.

About Babyface Pro CC Mode:

Do I get it right - it is not possible to use the BFP with windows PC's in CC-Mode without driver installation?

I thougt the BFP can be an easy way to provide a good solution for Audio Output of Customers Notebooks without driver installation... So I'm a bit frustrated.

In the Class Complainet paper is written something like the USB Audio driver is not implemented in Windows...
But why it's not possible to update the BFP so that it can be used (eg as 2 channel audio interface) in CC-Mode with Windows?

Please help,
greetings dd

Class compliant is a Mac thing not windows

I leave my pc plugged in after shutting down but power stays on the USB ports. Is it ok to leave the BFP fs powered up like this all the time?