Topic: HDSPe AIO | TotalMix level visible but no sound

Hello!

I recently upgraded my system (Mainboard, CPU, RAM) and with that also replaced my HDSP 9632 with an (used) HDSPe AIO.
Now I'm stuck with a no sound problem both in Windows and Reaper (ASIO).
Analogue 1+2 is set as (the only) WDM device and it's also set in the Windows 10 Sound settings as standard output device.
Whatever i set as my WDM device, I can see the meters working in TotalMix, there's no mute switch activated, but no sound is coming out of my BOB1 or AO4S-192 AIO - which is being detected fine and showing A3+4 and A5+6.
I set up my system from scratch which didn't fix anything.
I tried downgrading from 4.30 to 4.29, also did nothing.
I checked the connected breakout cables and the ribbon cable of the AO4S, all connected fine and without the ribbon cable connected, there's still no sound.
I deactivated the OnBoard Audio device, didn't fix the problem either.

MIDI Input through the BOB1 is working. Can't test SPDIF.
My ADAT Input coming from a Focusrite Interface works fine too. During testing the Interface was usually turned off.

I didn't test the card in another PC yet, nor did I test breakout cables.

I hope it's just some tiny little setting I didn't find yet, that's causing me all that trouble.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

2 (edited by ramses 2020-10-05 13:14:25)

Re: HDSPe AIO | TotalMix level visible but no sound

Are you new to RME TotalMix FX or do you know how to configure routing ?

To which outputs are your monitors connected ?
Is TM FX in submix mode ? If yes:
Click to the particular HW output in the bottom row and check the faders of HW inputs and SW Playback channels,
where you should see an audiosignal, if there is one ... Then simply raise the faders, then you should hear this audio on this particular HW Output aka "submix", hence the name in TM FX "submix mode".

You click to an HW output and then configure this submix by raising the faders of
- HW inputs (near zero latency monitoring, you hear audio from sources which are directly connected to this input)
- SW Playback Channels, middle row, audio coming from PC with the usual RTL (round trip latency) via USB, Fw, etc ...

Please send a TM FX screenshot of this particular Submix, where the monitors are connected to and please document which audio sources this submix shall have.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Paco 2020-10-05 23:13:46)

Hi ramses, thank you for your answer!

My configuration is: HDSPe AIO --> BOB1 --LineOut1+2--> Monitor Controller --> Monitors
I had the same configuration up and running with my HDSP 9632 for a while, so i can't say I'm new to TotalMix.
It's also possible to connect my onboard soundcard to the monitor controller and it works fine.

WDM is set to provide the Analog 1+2 Output. Windows is set to that one. TotalMix shows the software playback working. The main output, which is set to hardware outputs 1+2, is showing a level as well.

The sound playing is coming from YouTube in a browser.
Here's a screenshot (2 cut into 1) of my config:
https://i.ibb.co/QPksZsk/hdspe-config.png

Do you notice anything I missed there?

I also ordered the balanced breakout cable, so I can check that in a day or two and it will be easier to test it with another PC.

Last time I heard about such an effect the 12 Volt power supply was missing on the PCIe bus.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Last time I heard about such an effect the 12 Volt power supply was missing on the PCIe bus.

Okay, this might actually be an issue.
Just before I upgraded my PC my PSU broke, so I replaced it with a new one. So when I later installed the new mainboard I saw that theres an 8pin 12v and a 4pin 12v connector on my mb, my PSU however only supplies the 8pin. After some googling I found comments stating that the additional 4pin only matters for overclocking.
Now that information I found might not be entirely true after all.

Thank you, I'll look into that!

6 (edited by Paco 2020-10-31 00:19:04)

So I tried the Breakout Cable RME BO9632-XLRMKH without any success.
Also tried another PCIe slot and even put the card into another PC and got the same problem.

I couldn't make out any broken caps by sight, that might have been an easy fix too.

After all I think there's a technical damage to it and will open up a case on eBay and hope for the best.

Edit:
So as a conclusion for anyone who might experience the same problem:
I opened up a case in eBay and was able to return the HDSPe PCIe card. After getting my money back I got another HDSPe card and everything works just fine.
It was just broken after all. Optimistically speaking, the seller might have never used the D-Sub connections and didn't know.