1 (edited by kol.ut.shan 2020-11-17 22:44:51)

Topic: Big Sur and multiple (aggregated) HDSPe devices

Hi,

first I'd like to thank MC for todays quick driver update for Big Sur! However, since the second beta and current release version there is an issue regarding multiple RME devices (at least for me).
I have 2x RayDat and 1x Madi card which I have setup as an aggregated device. This always worked perfectly in Mojave, Catalina and even the first Big Sur beta. Beginning with the second beta there appears to be an issue with the synchronization of those 3 cards which shows as followed:

1. Open Cubase
2. Create any Instrument / Audio lane etc.
3. Playback --> no audio output in Cubase or TotalMix

There was a workaround (which does not work anymore) by opening up "Audio Midi Setup" and deselecting the second and third card from the aggregated device and then reselecting them. By that the issue was fixed (mostly) instantly. Now, this only results in a loud tone comming from the master out channel mixed with whatever comes out from Cubase.
After installing the new driver I also deleted the aggregated device and recreated it, but the issue was not resolved by this
Individual cards output e.g. Youtube playback is not affected, so this only occurs for the aggregated device.

If there is any fix or anything I could do help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Jan

Update:
I've just installed the new Big Sur 11.1 Beta and the issue appears to be gone. Hopfefully it stays that way (fingers crossed)

Re: Big Sur and multiple (aggregated) HDSPe devices

Another update:
unfortunately the issue is suddenly back and I have no idea why. Could it be that there might be another issue with Big Sur and the driver?

3 (edited by Purusha 2021-01-04 11:37:41)

Apologies, I missed your post and posted something similar. I talked to Steinberg and they gave me this somewhat unsatisfactory response:

"Martin.Jirsak

Hi,

Aggregate Device is not officially supported by any DAW since ever, because of timing issues when you are syncing them. Even Logic (Apple’s DAW) doesn’t officially support it."

I wonder if the problem is between Cubase and Big Sur's aggregate implementation? I might try adding a USB audio device to an aggregate with one HDSPe, to see what happens? ...or maybe try an aggregate device with just 1 HDSPe?

By the way - Ableton works fine as-is. For me, it's just Cubase which is proving to be a problem.

Hi and thanks for your response smile

That is interesting and I actually never though of it as a Cubase issue. Before Big Sur it always worked perfectly and I never had any problems with it. I still have the issue frome time to time and sometimes it takes fiddling with the aggregated device settings to resolve it or a simple reboot does the trick. And sometimes it just works from the go. I believe I have an entry level license of Ableton to test for the issue and I'll get in touch with Steinberg as well.

I can't see Steinberg doing anything about this tbh. I've been here before. I think we have to hope that RME or Apple come up with a solution.

There's also a long standing problem with mapping the MIDI ports on my Multiface units. One of the MIDI port ID components is dynamic on boot. Cubase can't track it across boot, but Ableton copes OK. When I was looking at that issue, RME were pointing at Steinberg and Steinberg were pointing the other way.

I'd be interested in knowing if Logic works with the aggregate device though, since Steinberg are saying that Logic doesn't support aggregate either.

Hi, it appears that Logic is working fine from the get go. I also had no issues with Ableton. @RME is there anything you could do to resolve the issue?

If you wanted to chime-in on my Steinberg forum post:

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/big-sur- … put/682736

It really puts me off using Cubase. I'm using Ableton the vast majority of the time now.

...but yes, if RME were able to investigate, that would be great.

I got more or less the same response from Steinberg and also reported the issue to Apple (via the beta feedback tool). Maybe something good is comming from that. To be honest, it does not look good.

For info, I've just heard from someone on the Elektronauts forum, who reckons he has things working with a different sound-card system - "Audiofuse Studio with Claret 8".

Which might point back at RME's implementation in drivers.

Hopefully RME are listening! Perhaps a direct email might be required?

10 (edited by Purusha 2021-01-28 18:51:58)

Update! New version of Cubase (11.0.10) seems to have fixed this issue.

Despite Steinberg having washed their hands.

Edit: Ooops - may have spoken too soon. more testing to do.

Edit2: Yep - still broken. sad