Topic: TotalMix keyboard shortcuts for switching snapshots etc?

Are there any keyboard shortcuts for switching snapshots and toggling basic control room functions (talkback, etc)?

Re: TotalMix keyboard shortcuts for switching snapshots etc?

TotalMix FX, Options, ARC and Key Command Settings. Further TM FX hotkeys are described in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

TotalMix FX, Options, ARC and Key Command Settings. Further TM FX hotkeys are described in the manual.

Cool thanks. Sorry to ask such a dumb question but I don't have my UFX with me ATM (it's been in China since February because of Covid-19 and I still don't know when I'll be able to go back to get it so I'm probably getting a new one and sell the old one later), otherwise I would have checked through the Totalmix FX menus.

I checked the manual earlier and couldn't find the relevant info, but just now I did, it say:

ARC & Key Commands. Opens a window to configure the programmable buttons of the Standard, Advanced and Advanced Remote USB, and of the computer’s keyboard keys F4 to F8.

There are only five hard-coded hotkeys available for users to configure? That's a bit disappointing considering there are, for example, 8 snapshots (not 5) and many other functions that users might want to be able to trigger/toggle from their keyboard. I guess I guess I'll stick to using MIDI instead.

Did you miss chapter 25.9, Hotkeys and Usage? There are some more hotkeys in there.

BTW, I wish you good luck for going back to China soon. I was separated from my family since March and am currently in local quarantine in Bangkok. Hope to see them soon. These are crazy times for most of us.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Did you miss chapter 25.9, Hotkeys and Usage? There are some more hotkeys in there.

Sure, I did notice that section but those shortcuts are hard-coded and didn't do what I wanted. I understand TotalMix was designed to be controlled by MIDI for some good reasons (e.g. the window doesn't need to be focused), so I'll probably end up buying one of those nice and small Novation controllers and use that.

MC wrote:

BTW, I wish you good luck for going back to China soon. I was separated from my family since March and am currently in local quarantine in Bangkok. Hope to see them soon. These are crazy times for most of us.

Likewise! Luckily Spain is my home, and that's where I'm now smile I had worked in China for nearly ten years until February. I returned to Spain to see my parents for a few weeks, like I used to do once every year, and then I was unable to return. Basically I've been forced to start a new life in Spain, and that's OK because I kinda missed home. I'm still renting my apartment in China (luckily it's not expensive) and need to go back just to tie up loose ends, wire my savings over to Spain, rescue a few valuables (including my UFX and my Babyface Pro of course) and leave permanently. Crazy times indeed.

6 (edited by ywshuo 2021-03-01 03:57:53)

TotallMix shortcuts only works when its window is in focus.

Use Keyboard Maestro to send the MIDI to TotalMix with your desired shortcuts. That way you can control TotalMix even it's in background.

Set "Keyboard Maestro" as input ports in Option -> setting -> MIDI, and send note-off signal on note 54-61 for snapshot 1-8.

No dedicated shortcuts nor access from menu for snapshots unfortunately.

8 (edited by maggie33 2023-11-12 14:57:34)

On Mac - You can also do this...

I prefer this method, as it doesn't need to have any 3rd party software installed/or any additional services/apps running.

1) Save your Snapshots to your default config dir via "File - Save Snapshot as..."

2) give your snapshots a proper naming - like this f.ex:
1_Snap.tmss
2_Snap.tmss
3_Snap.tmss

3) Open the (Siri-)Shortcuts App and create a new one
4) On the right side from Apps Section, drag "execute Applescript" snippet into main Section
5) Paste the following code into the Applescript Code Editor (opens the snapshot file beginning with "1")

#if TM App is not opened, open it
tell application "Totalmix" to run
try
    tell application "System Events"

# Bring Totalmix App to the front
        tell process "TotalMix FX"          
            set frontmost to true
        end tell

# Open the "Load Snapshot..." Window via Hotkey (Command+O) in my case
        # key code 31 = "O" on Keyboard
        key code 31 using command down

# wait for Open Dialog window 1 second
        delay 1

# Press 1 on Keyboard (18 = "1") - selects the first file which name begins with 1 - (1_Snap.tmss) in this example
        key code 18

# Press Return (36 = "Return") on Keyboard - the OK Button in the Dialogue Window
        key code 36

end tell

# some basic Error handling
on error errMsg
    display dialog "Error: " & errMsg
end try

6) click on the top right "i"-icon and check that "Use as fast action" and "Menu Services" is enabled

7) Push the Button "assign a Keyboard Hotkey" and enter your preferred Key-Combination to it

7) On first launch, you should get a message if your Shortcut is allowed to execute Applescript

8) Save it and it and should work. Even if the Shortcut App is closed, your custom Hotkey triggers always the script. Doesn't matter if Totalmix is not in focus or minimized. 

You can check this in Mac-Systemprefs -> Keyboard -> Keyboard-Hotkeys -> Services -> Hotkeys

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard

gtichy wrote:

My app ControlPilot makes available many of the Control Room features, Mute Groups, Cue and also Snapshot recall as keyboard shortcuts on macOS.

soundflix wrote:
gtichy wrote:

My app ControlPilot makes available many of the Control Room features, Mute Groups, Cue and also Snapshot recall as keyboard shortcuts on macOS.

Yes, this is an amazing piece of software.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

...just to add: Everything, you can control via MIDI/Mackie also works via (Siri) Shortcuts.

All you need is to install gbevin's little sendmidi binary:
https://github.com/gbevin/SendMIDI

Best practice is to create a seperate IAC Port on Mac. F. ex. "ToTMX".
Assign it to a MIDI Controller in Totalmix. Check Mackie Protocol.

Create a Shortcut script with "Execute Shell-Script" action with following content:

Ex. 1: If you want to toggle SpeakerB:

/usr/local/bin/sendmidi "dev ToTMFX on 50 0"

Ex. 2: If you want to activate Snapshot 6:

/usr/local/bin/sendmidi "dev ToTMFX on 61 0"

Ex. 3: If you want to activate Snapshot 5:

/usr/local/bin/sendmidi "dev ToTMFX on 60 0"

... and so on...

Works like a charm (even via Siri - Voice Input or triggered from Homekit Scenes/Actions)

And the best: Totally opensource and free wink

Just ask me, if someone needs help with this method.

“Do It For Her”
My Gear: Bontempi Magic light Keyboard