Topic: Hardware FX Chain Loopback Question

Hi.

I am using a Fireface UFX II and watched some videos and skimmed the web but couldn't find an answer so here it comes:

I have three hardware FX devices (Saturator, EQ, Compressor).
Currently they are routed via TotalMix EQ->Comp->Sat->AES loopback because I was hoping to be able to save redundant DA/AD-conversions like I'm getting when using this FX chain in the DAW with Hardware Inserts as this way the DAW/Fireface converts before and after every hardware device.

In a nutshell:
Do I still get 6 conversions (DA->EQ->AD->DA->Comp->AD->DA->Saturator->AD) as in the DAW (if I'm not mistaken) or just 2 (DA->EQ->TotalMix Routing->Comp->Saturator->AD) as with an actual patchbay?

Thank you very much.

Re: Hardware FX Chain Loopback Question

Every TM FX controlled I/O is A/D or D/A (unless AES, ADAT, SPDIF). There is no analog routing within our units.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Bo 2020-11-30 05:54:07)

Thanks MC. That's a pitty, I thought I had a good idea. Any other benefits, latency-wise maybe, in the TotalMix way to console me? If not I will switch back to hardware inserts in the DAW as these have the advantage of parallel processing.

Cheers.

Edit: And now that this has been clarified, just to be sure, is the loopback from AES/ADAT outputs to their respective inputs yet another conversion?

I gladly repeat:  'is A/D or D/A (unless AES, ADAT, SPDIF)'. What 'conversion' should that be?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I gladly repeat:  'is A/D or D/A (unless AES, ADAT, SPDIF)'. What 'conversion' should that be?

None, I guess, just wanted to be sure and since I'm rather a producer than an engineer I have to ask yet again the final question: Does a loopback from AN 1/2 OUT to AN 1/2 IN conversions? Your answer suggests that but firstly the diagrams in the manual neither show it nor is it mentioned anywhere and if I test record via loopback I seem to get just about 1 sample latency, which is far less than the expected 3ms according to the manual.

Thank you very much again.

Do you talk about the Loopback function of TotalMix FX? That one is digital and inside the hardware, with no analog conversion.

If you connect analog in to analog out with a cable (loopback) then you might not be able to measure delay as the DAW compensates for it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Do you talk about the Loopback function of TotalMix FX? That one is digital and inside the hardware, with no analog conversion.

If you connect analog in to analog out with a cable (loopback) then you might not be able to measure delay as the DAW compensates for it.

I ment the loopback function. Thanks, everything is clear now.