Topic: TotalMix FX 1.72 available for Windows and Mac

While originally our plans on what TM FX 1.7 should include were different, 1.72 adresses several issues and comes with multiple under-the-hood improvements, so a release was in order. As usual it is available here as direct download, and will be part of upcoming driver package updates as well.

The official list of changes include the ones from version 1.70 Beta 5. Here is the complete list:

- Preferences, Do not load: Selecting ‘Control Room Settings’ now includes the CRM mute states

- Loading Quick Workspaces via OSC is now supported. This is a non-paged function, see the updated OSC table, http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/osc_t … ix_new.zip

- Aux Device support was missing for HDSP AES-32 and HDSPe AES (choice of AES 1-8 and AES 9-16)

- Some text improvements (Locator, flashing settings of the Digiface Dante…)

- Windows only: Fixed a multi-device state save issue introduced in 1.70 B5

- Windows only: Fixed an internal messaging error that could cause the current state not to be saved on shutdown in certain setting configurations (for example Host server active or MIDI in use)

- Windows only: improved multi-device support to ensure the numbering in Settings dialog and TM FX are synced in any case, including manual sort-order changes, and that ASIO Direct Monitoring uses the correct interface. For full functionality MADIface series driver version 0.9728 or higher, or USB series driver 1.200 or higher is required.

- Mac only: Starting the Babyface Reverb issues a warning in case TM FX is not allowed to use the microphone

Download:

Win: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tota … in_172.zip

Mac: https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tota … ac_172.zip

Installation

Windows: Exit TotalMix FX and copy the new version into Windows\System32, overwriting the old file.

Mac: Exit TotalMix FX and copy the app into the Applications folder, overwriting the old file.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: TotalMix FX 1.72 available for Windows and Mac

Hello Matthias,

Am I correct in assuming that this version is not for the Fireface 800 (Windows 10)?

Thanks,
Bud

FireFace800 (D 3.125, fw 2.77) Ryzen9 3950X, 570X Extrm4,  Win10 Prox64 1909, 32Gb DDR4-3600, GTX950

Thanks MC - works fine for me. I'm using UCX connected to Windows 10, version 20H2 with all updates applied.
I also did not have any issues prior to this release.

SF_Green wrote:

Hello Matthias,

Am I correct in assuming that this version is not for the Fireface 800 (Windows 10)?

Thanks,
Bud

Not correct. It is for all our current drivers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by ramses 2020-12-16 12:31:32)

Works, many thanks, now also with Win10 Quick-Start enabled.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

seems fine here - nothing to report smile

@ramses - when you say 'quick-start' - are you using windows 'fast boot' ? or is this some RME thing ?

Fast startup is a Windows 10 feature that I would turn off.
Google for it for reasons.
With fast startup enabled your PC does not perform a real shutdown/boot anymore.

With fast startup enabled, choosing to shut down your PC might look like you're completely shutting things down, but in reality, your PC is entering a mix between a shutdown and hibernation.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

yes, I understand about fast startup - I was going to advice you to disable it smile

you said

now also with Win10 Quick-Start enabled.

I wondered what that was ?

Thanks. My intention was to give feedback that it works and on the other hand as a reminder that smth like "fast startup" exists and maybe to think about, whether to keep it on or to disable it, to have a clean boot and shutdown phase for your PC, which might be preferrable over saving a few seconds of boot time...

thanks smile

I can't get this to install, windows keeps telling me 'it's still in use'. It isn't, I turned the unit (ucx) off. Any obvious tricks people?

12 (edited by ramses 2020-12-23 19:16:34)

This is nothing unusual, when an application is running, then it can not be overwritten or deleted.

So you need to quit TM FX (the application) first, before you can copy the new "TotalMix FX.exe" to c:\windows\system32.

thanks feller...I'll try from a new start-up, unit powered off, see if that helps. I'm getting senile or something...

you need to quit Totalmix first (right click the icon and exit (in windows))

Post #12

Hmm I'm doing something wrong. You extract the file, then copy to windows/System32... ...right? I had no prompt asking me to overwrite any existing file. On re-opening totalmix fx, it's still version 1.61.
I use windows 10 and have done updates to totalmix fx before so god knows what I'm doing.
Don't worry too much, I'll figure it out eventually...

Do a search on your pc for the file as it seems like it is somewhere else.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

That's it. Original .exe file was elsewhere. Thank you Mr Mkok.

Elsewhere ? Interesting. The installer installs it always to the same location and there is no way to choose another one.
May I ask what path this was ?

Downloads folder. I also thought it would reside in 'system 32' but no.
Doesn't seem to cause me any problems, I assume it's always been like this

ramses wrote:

Post #12

In fact it is post 1

22 (edited by waedi 2021-01-23 06:25:40)

1.72 works fine on the M1 Mac !
The fader of the headphone channel does move now when using the wheel on the Babyface.
"Enter Fullscreen" has still this cutoff of the top.
Changeing the size does not help.
I can liv with that, it is just not so beautiful.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

23 (edited by ollv 2021-01-31 18:38:50)

When I use the encoder of the Babyface Pro FS and set the volume with the encoder to -10 or 0 e.g. and then use the recall button to set the volume to e.g. -42 and afterwards I use the encoder to control the volume up or down the volume jumps back to the old level (-10 or 0 e.g.) and adds the up and down adjustment of the encoder to the loud level. I would expect if you use the recall button to set the volume for example to -42 and then use the encoder afterwards to adjust the volume there should be no jump to the old encoder volume position. I just nearly blew my ears because the previous encoder position was at 0 db and I used recall to set a low fader position for ph3/4 and afterwards used the encoder to control the lower volume level.

Is this the normal behavior (is the babyface rotary encoder an incremental or absolute encoder?)? Thanks!

Edit: I think it is an issue with the audio player Colibri https://colibri-lossless.com and some audio file formats (Colibri release notes: Volume is now automatically raised to 100% for DSD files when DoP/DoPA mode is selected and restored to previous volume level for non-DSD files (and PCM mode)).
I quit the player and tested the same think with iTunes now the issue is gone. If I use the recall button to set the volume and use encoder to change the volume afterwards there is no volume jump to the old position. Maybe it has something to do with Colibris "Exclusive / Hog Mode" that mutes the other audio apps system-wide.

Can the "Main Out" volume/fader of TotalMix be manipulated by audio player software on macOS?

MacBook Air M1
macOS 13.2.1
Babyface Pro FS FW v203 D v4.06
TotalMix 1.80b3 - DigiCheck NG 0.891

waedi wrote:

"Enter Fullscreen" has still this cutoff of the top.
Changeing the size does not help.

Is this a Mac-only feature?  I'm on Windows 10 with an UHD monitor and can't get TMFX full screen.  I have it set to 200% with windows scaling at 200%.

No, I think this fullscreen feature is originally from Windows.

Every Window from every programm has those 3 buttons on top left corner ( in Mac )

In Windows it is top right corner of the window, a _ ,a square and a X.
Delete the window or minimize it to the underground or maximize it to fullscreen.

Right.  My 'square' icon is greyed out.  Hmm.

Great, thanks for this update!

On Windows, I assigned the 'Talkback' button (13) of the ARC USB to  toggle Totalmix windows.
It works great and is super convenient, but there is one bug: when you press it the first time,
the TM window opens as expected, but a second push does nothing, you have to manually click the close icon.
The next time it works - until the next reboot ... I hope this can be fixed.

Personal website https://www.lorcan.me
Company website https://www.lmdsp.com

Does anyone else find it strange that digicheckNG channels can be re-ordered, but TotalMixFX channels cannot?

For me, it's super helpful to have a consistent i/o layout for metering and routing.

I've got my digicheckNG channel layout in the same order they live in my rack.. making tracking down level issues easy.

Being able to setup the same channel order in totalmix seems like it makes a ton of sense...

Perhaps I'm not alone in this?

michaelmarkus wrote:

Perhaps I'm not alone in this?

You’re not alone!

Not sure where to post this. It might be Big Sur- or Total Mix FX-related. Or both.
I’m new to this forum.

Brand new BF Pro FS, arrived today.
Install of drivers from the website, TM update from 1.7 to 1.72. macOS 11.2.1. 
Driver version ?
Device is connected directly via enclosed cable; no external power source
macOS has recognized the device, in and out are set to BF in system settings
I get weak input signal ([passive/single coil] electric guitar connected to 3) and decent output signal on 1&2. No signal on headphones 3&4. So I started TM to fix this (using active monitors, I had set XLR output to +4db, but I don’t think that’s an issue here).

1) Upon TM start I don’t get a mixer window — all I get is a menu line. “File > new tm window > create new: mixer window” does nothing except simply closing. Same to matrix.

2) Fireface USB settings do not even open

Thanks for your helpful reply

MBP14,2 (Intel i5 3,1 GHz) • macOS 11.2.2 • Babyface Pro FS • FW v129 • Driver v3.24 • TM FX 1.72

I would try to do firmware upgrade.
Probably there is already a new version out there.

32 (edited by Wastl 2021-02-26 21:36:40)

Thx. Unfortunately the Flash Tool is unwilling to open, so I cannot even verify the current FW version.
Checked security in system settings, but there is nothing to authorize.

Edit: Never mind. I managed to do a flash update to 129 via oldie goldie pc and both TMFX and usb settings open when device is connected to Mac.

Plug and play is different. First impression and stupid waste of time – let's stop musing about that.

MBP14,2 (Intel i5 3,1 GHz) • macOS 11.2.2 • Babyface Pro FS • FW v129 • Driver v3.24 • TM FX 1.72

33 (edited by waedi 2021-02-26 21:43:45)

You must go to another computer for doing this.
An old Notebook or iMac.
I had exactly that problem when I tried the new M1 Macbook for the first time with my old Babyface.
I had to connect it to the old Macbook Pro for running the firmware updater.
After that all works fine.

Thanks for helping and hanging around!