1 (edited by Lophophora 2021-01-02 16:45:26)

Topic: Do I need to update/flash driver for my UFX II?

Hi, I just saw that there were recent updates on the RME download site for UFX II. Should I install these? What is the difference between a driver update and a flash update?

Bonus question: will that erase my snapshots and settings?

Re: Do I need to update/flash driver for my UFX II?

to 1: Manual ch 6, firmware updates device, driver is needed by windows to access the device through USB.
to 2: The last settings file should still remain .. BUT didn't you save snapshots and workspace ? Manual ch 23.3, 23.4

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I should have mentioned that I already have the interface running, with the original drivers that I installed when I got it about a year ago. My question is: should I install the updates as they are released?

Why is there a driver update and a flash update? What is a flash update and it is necessary to download it?

I do have snapshots and workspaces saved, I am assuming they will still be there after updating but would appreciate a confirmation.

> should I install the updates as they are released?

What answer do you expect ? Of course ! They contain updates and bugfixes, see manual.

> Why is there a driver update and a flash update?

I explained it to you already in my last post and you can re-read it in the manual ch6.

Firmware is for the device itself, the driver is for Windows.
Both are executeable files ".exe", but the
- driver update installs the driver (ASIO and WDM) and makes the device accessible for Windows and installs TotalMix FX.
- flash update updates the device through USB with the new firmware.

>  I am assuming they will still be there after updating but would appreciate a confirmation.

Of course or do you think a driver / flash update erases your disk ? Those config files are config files of the application TotalMix FX, and if you do not wipe it from disk it will be still there for a restore operation.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

What answer do you expect ?

I don't know what to expect. The device works fine with the current driver and there doesn't seem to be an automatic update check so it wasn't obvious to me that this was important.

I explained it to you already in my last post and you can re-read it in the manual ch6.

I can't see anything that would explain what is a flash update in your previous post. However, with this one I understand now that the "flash" update is for the device/firmware, that was the information I missed.

Of course or do you think a driver / flash update erases your disk ?

I don't know, which is why I asked. I didn't even know what a flash update was until a minute ago. I'm a beginner and things that are obvious to you are confusing to me. It looks like my questions annoyed you, apologies for asking them.

Sorry it was hard to believe to me that somebody has never before updated the flash of a electronic device.
Be it a camera, SSD, harddisk, BIOS or whatever.