1 (edited by Roog 2021-01-09 13:25:57)

Topic: Using the setup and remote key assign functions properly!

Hi RME users,

I have been using the key assign function for my remote successfully since getting to grips with my ADI-2, however since starting to tinker with EQ I now want to save EQ settings to a series of setups so that I can access different EQ profiles from the remote control.

I thought I knew what I was doing, having set three profiles to buttons 1,2&3, and it works but only ONCE! Then the Keys revert to their previous settings, which happened to be choosing between three different DAC filters!

I note that when the keys are assigned to my three EQ profiles and I select one, it asks me to press again to load setup.

I have read the manual and watched the video on YouTube but I think I may be missing a step.

I would appreciate your help please as it would be nice to select an EQ profile from the remote. :0)

Re: Using the setup and remote key assign functions properly!

If you load a setup you load everything. Means all 4 buttons, not only one. So make sure the other buttons are also programmed to be used with an EQ preset. In all three Setups that you store.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you MC, I programmed three saved EQ profiles and loaded each one to setup 1, 2 & 3, then I assigned 3 of the assignable remote buttons 1 ,2 & 3 to setups 1, 2 & 3 and the fourth button to toggle screen.

They all seem to load and save, they are visible in setup menu, then I go back to the main screen and press one of the assigned keys, it asks me to press again to load the setup which I do and the device configures as per that setup. If I then press another assigned key to change to another Setup, the screen flashes up the previous key assignment, which for me was a DAC filter!

Checking the key assign menu after the above, it confirms that all of the 4 keys have reverted to their previous assignments, btw, not the factory setting.

It seems like it is working but once I use it once all of the keys refers to their previous assignment.

I had the same problem, but managed to correct it taking into account MC remarks that when you load a setup it loads everything, including the key assignments.
Therefore, what I did was to:
1) make sure the changes to keys assignments, in my case changing key 5 to load setup 1, key 6 to load setup 2 and key 7 to load setup 3, are the first thing you do, so that they will be applied to all future setup´s
2) create and save setup 1 changing whatever necessary (except the key assignments!)
3) do the same for the other two setups
Now it works fine and the key assignmentas are retained across the 3 setups

But I still have one doubt:
The documentation says you can reassign 7 keys, but I can only do it for 3 keys
How do access keys 1-4 ?

5 (edited by Roog 2021-01-20 14:52:46)

Thank you nksalagado, I think what you are saying is assign each of the keys to a set up, and then save each set up 1 to 3 or 4?

Not sure why this might have a different outcome, but thank you for the guidance, I will give this a try. It strikes me that this sequence could do with a video, because based on the instructions in the manual it isn't at all obvious to me.

What I mean is that you have to make the same key assignments (to all keys) in all the setups, so that whatever setup you load the key assignments remain the same.
It works

nksalgado wrote:

But I still have one doubt:
The documentation says you can reassign 7 keys, but I can only do it for 3 keys
How do access keys 1-4 ?

That should be more than obvious. Entries 1 to 4 refer to buttons 1 to 4 on the remote.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

nksalgado wrote:

What I mean is that you have to make the same key assignments (to all keys) in all the setups, so that whatever setup you load the key assignments remain the same.
It works

Thank you nksalgado, I will run through the process again and see

Cheers

Hi @nksalgado thank you for your step by step guide, Result! It works. Tbh I still find the ADI a bit of a mystery but for now I have my four buttons set how I’d like, terrific :0)

Glad to know !!
I have got mine for only a few days now and am still running the painfull learning process.
But it is a terrific pirce of hardware. That is for sure
Cheers

Yes I like mine, it has replaced the pre amp in my system which is now entirely digital despite the continued presence of my 38-year-old turntable perched on the top of my rack!

The Parametric EQ function is greatly appreciated which I use to and tame the bass hump of my room reasonably well.

One thing I hadn't appreciated is that the setup does indeed store all settings, including volume and that is a pain as changing the EQ profile resets the volume to the stored value. Oh well I guess you can't expect a device to be fully customised for oneself!  :0)

Going back to MC´s post "That should be more than obvious. Entries 1 to 4 refer to buttons 1 to 4 on the remote."

Actually, entries 1 to 4 in the "Remap Keys (Remote)" menu refer to FRONT PANEL FUNCTION KEYS (VOL Key, I/O Key, Eq Key, SETUP key) and not to IR Keys. Entries 5-7 do Refer to IR-Keys 5,6,7

Therefore: is no entry to change the assignment of IR Keys 1-4.

How can this be done ?

I mean:

Therefore: there is no entry to change the assignment of IR Keys 1-4.

nksalgado wrote:

Going back to MC´s post "That should be more than obvious. Entries 1 to 4 refer to buttons 1 to 4 on the remote."

Actually, entries 1 to 4 in the "Remap Keys (Remote)" menu refer to FRONT PANEL FUNCTION KEYS (VOL Key, I/O Key, Eq Key, SETUP key) and not to IR Keys.
[...]

Yes they are... Entries 1 to 4 in the "Remap Keys (Remote)" menu refer to both: VOL Key = 1 IR key, I/O Key = 2 IR key and so one... Have you tried it?
BTW it seems pretty obvious to me too...

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Hi N00B

Thanks for stepping in, but it is not yet clear to me.

When you write "Entries 1 to 4 in the "Remap Keys (Remote)" menu refer to both: VOL Key = 1 IR key, I/O Key = 2 IR key and so one..."

Does it mean that the assignment will change behavior of the front panel Keys and Remote keys ?

I am afraid to try and change the behavior of the front panel keys inadvertedly.

Sorry for not finding this obious at all

nksalgado wrote:

Actually, entries 1 to 4 in the "Remap Keys (Remote)" menu refer to FRONT PANEL FUNCTION KEYS (VOL Key, I/O Key, Eq Key, SETUP key) and not to IR Keys. Entries 5-7 do Refer to IR-Keys 5,6,7

And you did not notice the numbers behind the text? VOL (1) etc?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by N00b 2021-01-26 15:10:43)

nksalgado wrote:

Hi N00B

Thanks for stepping in, but it is not yet clear to me.

When you write "Entries 1 to 4 in the "Remap Keys (Remote)" menu refer to both: VOL Key = 1 IR key, I/O Key = 2 IR key and so one..."

Does it mean that the assignment will change behavior of the front panel Keys and Remote keys ?

I am afraid to try and change the behavior of the front panel keys inadvertedly.

Sorry for not finding this obious at all

Yes, for both: front panel and remote key, if remap keys is ON. As it is mentionned in the manual on page 25.
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf

(And if you set "Remote" in the "Remap keys" menu, it will be only active on... the remote (obviously again).

http://alexandremaller.free.fr/hfr/rtfm.jpg

Remap Keys
OFF, ON, Remote. Default: Remote. Allows to assign 31 different functions/actions to the four function keys on the unit and on the remote, or the remote only.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

I guess the missing piece for me was the only: Remote only
That closes it for me.

Thanks

nksalgado wrote:

That closes it for me.

Thanks

This may be an old thread but it finally explained the big mystery that I could not decipher from the manual and other forums.

BTW, The “missing piece” as you stated is RME getting educators on their staff.  Engineers should stick to engineering.

20 (edited by ramses 2023-01-12 23:53:03)

nellie75 wrote:
nksalgado wrote:

That closes it for me.

Thanks

This may be an old thread, but it finally explained the big mystery that I could not decipher from the manual and other forums.

BTW, The “missing piece” as you stated is RME getting educators on their staff.  Engineers should stick to engineering.

Nellie75, welcome to the user forum.

Regarding your comment. Sorry, but I have a different opinion. I think some things should just be able to grasp intuitively.

There are only 2 cases besides "off" (which should be clear from the function): "on" and "remote". That should be able to be tested nevertheless fast times evenly without large expenditure. Set both and see what happens.

Furthermore, an extra menu item "Remote" only makes sense if "On" does not include both options.
"Oh God, that could be propositional logic. Is maybe even a mathematician needed to solve that?" wink

There is a certain tendency to blame others for things in forums. But I have my doubts that this is really appropriate, especially in this case. Incidentally, I have to take up the cudgels for RME here. Fantastic manuals, neatly crafted, well-structured and very informative. You rarely find that anymore.

This is just my opinion, you may see it differently.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I figured it out once (over 2 years ago) and haven't touched it since. I doubt if I could change it now without starting all over, (Oh I can feel the anxiety just thinking about it), I did not find it easy to understand.

I think I read somewhere that the EQ profiles can now be saved separately to the Volume setting, if right this might be my motivation to upgrade and do it all over!

22 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-13 13:18:20)

Roog wrote:

I think I read somewhere that the EQ profiles can now be saved separately to the Volume setting, if right this might be my motivation to upgrade and do it all over!

The function is:

SETUP / Load/Store all Setting / Load Volume: “with Setup”, or “disabled”.
Same page where you store Setups.

This option, as usual, is part of each individual Setup, not global.

See manual, pages DAC: 33, Pro: 30, 2/4: 33

Alternatively, if it’s only about EQ, you can just store and recall EQ Presets.

23 (edited by nellie75 2023-01-13 21:24:28)

ramses wrote:
nellie75 wrote:
nksalgado wrote:

That closes it for me.

Thanks

This may be an old thread, but it finally explained the big mystery that I could not decipher from the manual and other forums.

Nellie75, welcome to the user forum.

Regarding your comment. Sorry, but I have a different opinion. I think some things should just be able to grasp intuitively.

"grasp intuitively" is somewhat of an oxymoron.  If it is intuitive, then it is automatic and there is no "grasping".  With that said,  I don't expect a piece of equipment like the ADI-2 to be intuitive like an iPad or something.  However, I do expect the menus and navigation of sub-settings in menus to make sense and to be repeatable once learned.  However, it is a rabbit hole of different pathways.  Some settings are not available or are unusable because there is a setting somewhere on another branch that needs to be changed.  The confusion for posters on this thread proves my point.

There are only 2 cases besides "off" (which should be clear from the function): "on" and "remote". That should be able to be tested nevertheless fast times evenly without large expenditure. Set both and see what happens.

Furthermore, an extra menu item "Remote" only makes sense if "On" does not include both options.
"Oh God, that could be propositional logic. Is maybe even a mathematician needed to solve that?" wink

I have no idea what you are talking about.  None of this stuff was spoken or addressed by me.  I was able to figure out the remapping of keys for loading profiles.  Again, I dont know what you are referring to.

There is a certain tendency to blame others for things in forums. But I have my doubts that this is really appropriate, especially in this case. Incidentally, I have to take up the cudgels for RME here. Fantastic manuals, neatly crafted, well-structured and very informative. You rarely find that anymore.

Ill say it again, Engineers should stick to engineering.  I have been a school teacher for 20 years.   I teach "Intro To Engineering" and "Automation and Robotics" to 8-9th graders.  I craft my language, directions, lessons and explanations to make sense of highly technical content.  Being a master of my content does not make me an excellent teacher, it is how I explain and teach it that matters.  If many students dont understand the process, the students wont get blamed, I will.  With that said, I think engineers will love the RME manual.