Topic: Mono Block Schiit Aegir set-up

Do you know if it is possible to run a mono-block (2 x Schiit Aegir) setup from the ADI-2 DAC balanced outputs? Is anyone using the Aegir in this way? Or via the SE outputs?

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-01-13 23:40:38)

Re: Mono Block Schiit Aegir set-up

Yes, with XLR balanced connection only, as Aegir relies on the balanced (-) pin 3 to feed it’s inverted (-) rail.

Funny idea BTW, usually a force-balanced-circuit circumvents that necessity.

See Aegir manual:

1 and 2 Speaker Outputs. When using Aegir as a mono amp, connect your speaker to the two top red terminals only. Right is “+”, and left is “-”. Please note both of these are active outputs—do not ground one of them!
3 XLR Input. Connect a balanced source (usually a preamp) using a high-quality XLR cable. It’s important that the preamp is truly balanced for proper operation.

RME ADI-2’s XLR output is truly balanced.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will start saving for the new addition.

4 (edited by markkrueg 2023-12-15 20:00:46)

I recently ordered my second Schiit Aegir to move to monoblocks via the RME XLR outputs -- I have been running a single Aegir until now via RCA. I suddenly had cold sweats as I was reading the whole "true balanced, differential outputs required" line on the Schiit website. It sounds like I am good to go based on this thread; but just to verify:

This setup should also work with my RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE?

5 (edited by emeissl 2023-12-15 20:46:31)

Yes, the XLR outputs are truly balanced  on the ADI2PRO. Just the XLR outputs.

Cheers, Ernst

ADI-2 PRO FS R BE / ADI-2 DAC FS / some old multibit treasuers ;-)

emeissl wrote:

Yes, the XLR outputs are truly balanced  on the ADI2PRO. Just the XLR outputs.

Many thanks.